HWBOT Community Forums

Some of you guys/girls/transgenders are all talk.

Why the fuck does Matt's Patreon page only have three subscribers for Benchmate development? I'm not talking to the people that donated via other means but certainly that doesn't account for the fact that there is only three.

The amount of moaning and groaning that goes on about cheating and how fucked up the Bot's leaderboards are, etc. etc. and we have someone in our own community is probably becoming if not already THE expert in preserving the integrity of the bechmarks we all use everyday and I'm trying to wrap my head around how he only has three subscribers at this point. With the amount of dollars this community has he should be able to quit his fucking job and work doing Benchmate full time. How depressing.

Remember all the talk about how HWbot should become a pay site,  etc.? It was suggested as a way to properly fund the site which serves our community. How hard is it go get 100 people in our community to pledge $10/month.

Matt has no idea I was going to post this and most likely probably wouldn't want me to but I'm feeling pretty emotional right now and don't really care. Just to bang the point home here is what is described on Benchmate's front page:

Benchmarking is in a horrible spot right now. Even on HWBOT, the world's biggest result database, most results have to be submitted as screenshots and system data is entered manually. Due to undetectable time measurement bugs and easily abusable vulnerabilities of benchmarks, results can not be correctly judged by the inconclusive data available. Additionally, manual submission is error-prone, inconsistent, time consuming and hard to learn while still being far from trustworthy. Although there are better submission methods and online rankings available like 3DMark's Hall of Fame or the Geekbench Browser, they all set their own opaque standards for validation and are only available for their (latest) products.

BenchMate is a unified solution that defines a common standard for all benchmarks. A well-considered minimum of security and timer reliability applicable to all benchmarks, though much more advanced than everything currently available in this industry. Benchmark's are guarded by a combination of a custom driver, two system services and the BenchMate client to protect against access with malicious intent. Furthermore BenchMate injects its own code into the benchmark's process to exchange flawed or vulnerable functionality with reliable alternatives. This is specifically necessary to ensure precise time measurement provided by low-level access to the system's timer hardware. With the same technique BenchMate captures the result before it is sent to the benchmark's user interface and stores it in a secure location. The benchmark executable itself remains untouched throughout the whole process.

Its primary goal is to regain trust in benchmark results. This is not only a problem of competitive benchmarking, but concerns advertised results by vendors, data shown in reviews and randomly posted results around the globe as well. Shouldn’t they be reliable, comparable, available for analysis and repeatable to be trusted?

BenchMate currently focuses on competitive benchmarking and specifically on HWBOT for now. The next steps are to support more benchmarks and build its own platform with lots of data to analyze. Stay tuned!

Those who decide it's not worth contributing some money to this project should never ever complain again on these forums about anything because as I said in the subject - you're all talk.

If I'm coming across as a dick I apologize - I don't really know how else to say what I'm trying to communicate.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, GeorgeStorm said:

Whilst I don't feel Im in the demographic your post is aimed at, just wanted to point out that people might be up for supporting hwbot but not benchmate as they are different things.

You definitely aren't and for the record I support hwbot through  an automatic paypal subscription and feel like this community has many people that could easily support both. As Leeg mentions above - many of us are using hardware that is anything but cheap.

Actually, those in our community which have made youtube careers from overclocking should be getting involved and all those guys over at Jays2cents, Gamers Nexus, Linus Tech Tips, etc. should be leading the charge because when they all generate revenue by benchmark trolling each other they are comparing there scores to... who? The Bot. Anyone who is remotely interested in overclocking should care about the Benchmate project because of exactly what I quoted from the website's front page. Or so it seems to me.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mythical tech said:

I think a lot more people would be willing to do a onetime donation rather than a monthly contribution. I would be willing to donate 10$ one time but I am a student so monthly donations/subscriptions are something that I try and stay away from so I can better manage my finances. 

Bless you, man - but just like George you aren't in the demographic I'm talking about either. Starving students, people that are financially going through a hard time, those are currently unemployed or out because of some illness - these aren't the people that I'm referring to. If it came across that way then shame on me for being a bad communicator.

BUT... even if those in the categories above were to represent 50% of our community (not even close - but for the sake of argument) that still leaves a huge pool of people that have no excuse.

EDIT: Not saying George is disabled or a starving student either... Obviously he contributes to our community in many ways. In fact, he moderated the last competition I was in. I guess I should also include all the volunteers who already give so much to our community - I'm not talking about them either.

Edited by marco.is.not.80
Sorry George

1 minute ago, marco.is.not.80 said:

Bless you, man - but just like George you aren't in the demographic I'm talking about either. Starving students, people that are financially going through a hard time, those are currently unemployed or out because of some illness - these aren't the people that I'm referring to. If it came across that way then shame on me for being a bad communicator.

BUT... even if those in the categories above were to represent 50% of our community (not even close - but for the sake of argument) that still leaves a huge pool of people that have no 

I think most of us are in the demographic, I am a college student but I still bench and if I have enough to bench semi decent hardware I have enough to support the development of HWbot and BM, no I can't donate 50$ a month but a one time donation of 10$ or even 5$ is not going to make it so I can't make rent and if it is then I probably should not be spending money on oc. 

I’m more than happy to support both through recurring subscriptions. I’m new this year and have spent a bit this year so far on hardware and gear, so helping out mat where I can is fine with me.

I didn't realize mat had setup a Patreon and I have never seen anything for HWBOT 

• Like 1

I know 2.50$ isn't much per month but that is the point if everyone gives a little it will add up. We have 1271 active members in the Elite, Extreme, Apprentice, and Enthusiast leagues combined if even half of the community gave 5$ a month we would have almost 3200$b a month and I know a lot of us can give more than that. I just joined this community but have been benching for a few years and if others who are new are also willing to donate we could even more to the development of the bot/BM

Screenshot_(19).png

Edited by Mythical tech
  • Like 1

i proposed years ago that every active member pay a $10 yearly fee to be a member and use bot , also to help the bank  for wages for people that deserve it, also to help with development of bot etc etc etc to keep bot in the black so to speak, but every time ive mentioned it it falls on deaf ears

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

coz its like this, all these people are here for the love of overclocking, they donate their family and home time for here , for us, without pay, competitons organised, implemented, modded, controlled and all the follow up with it, some are on a retainer of some sort yes, but the others do it for gratis, once again all for "US",

money is generated id suspect by sponsorships, donated etc, but not something that can be relied on, a party could pull out at the minute then that money is no longer, competitons organised, implemented, modded, controlled and all the follow up with it

im not saying what ive propsed in prior years is fool proof, but i reckon its a damn good start to a healthy $ wise  bot

if you join bot you pay a yearly fee of $10, you have no control, and no say other than to ask a mod or any admin why this decision was made . if you put a fair and honest case against their decision im sure some proper agreement between both would arrive, thats just a membership fee like they do everywhere in the world to join "whatever" it is  club and those funds are put forth to make the "whatever" club it is bigger and better for all

why should be this different , same principle , different reason for the type of "club" so to speak

you pay for the priveldge to be a member and be a part of building the "club" that you enjoy coming to !!

• Like 1

While I do agree with supporting HWbot I think the reason or at least a big one is thst a paywall can limit the growth of the community it terns of new members. I think one option is a small fee to join competitions not much maybe a dollar or so. I know that has its own problems but it is just an idea. It is hard to keep the site funded without driving new members away. I would be more than willing to contribute to HWbot monthly or yearly but it has to be done in a way that keeps people coming. Maybe the first six months or year could be free. 

Edited by Mythical tech

my approach to that is this

go down your local club or what ever and say to them i want to br in your club , free, have all the options of what the club offers, then in 6 mths or so ill make up my mind whether ill join up, coz thats exactly what BOT is now, recieves anyone and theyre a member, this is quite a not so common hobby ill call it, which quite soon leads into an obsession,  

maybe there could me a reduced associate member fee  $5, for the newbies coming along to see whether or not they want to be involved in our sport to give them some time (6 mths) to think if over if this is for them

if not , theyve lost $5 , big deal, lose a stick of ram is worth way more, as theyll soon learn if they get into it