HWBOT Community Forums

KaRtA - Rampage Extreme @ 680.1MHz - 680.11 MHz Reference Frequency

TerraRaptor

Yeah, I should have done the same.  Every other screen I took was without all the tabs open, so they are probably less valid. Be easy enough to do again.

It's was almost a waste of a session except for this. I was hoping to do some superpi, as the board and chip clock really easily together.

The fail happened when for 32m, there is just no stability from the memory. Pretty much loop 4-6 every time, regardless of strap, dimm count, IC Type, voltages or timings :( Not sure what I can do about that.

Some boards just seem to hate superpi, when I was testing my P5E3 Premium last month with NB on SS I could validate 670+ easy, run 1M at 660 with decent memory but couldn't manage 32M above ~615 no matter what I tried. Memory tested at 700ish, 900ish and >1030 without issues, I kinda think its just me...

Yes and no. Assuming the board is alive in the first place (which is a very big IF), I take 10MHz variation from session to session as acceptable. Which can also be down to variation in NB cooling (due to insulation) or weather on Jupiter. I've noticed that some of these boards are extremely PSU-sensitive. Also, if you shut the PSU off, then on first cold boot (or run up until the first major crash) you tend to get slightly better clocks.

From where I am sitting, I am actually baffled as to how people get these boards to do 600+ 32M with Wolfdale on non-LN2 cooling. It was never possible here in a reliable way, even with CPU under single stage, so I even stopped trying and am using a Conroe to pretest boards on single stage. Yet, the same Wolfdale setups can easily do 640-650 5:8 with CPU on LN2 all day long.

Edited by TaPaKaH
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Which Bios version do you use? How much voltage you can give to the NB varies greatly from board to board. My good Rex scales up to a voltage of 1.74v on the NB. Another one of my REXs, however, at a voltage greater than 1.65v does not boot anymore. Do you know the batch number of your NB? But 680er FSB with only 1.65v is really good!

You should gather all of this info in a mini guide. 
a lot of information was lost by those who benched in the past and didn’t pass on their secrets. This is one of the reasons people don’t touch older platforms, is impossible to get all that knowledge by yourself.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, suzuki said:

You should gather all of this info in a mini guide. 
a lot of information was lost by those who benched in the past and didn’t pass on their secrets. This is one of the reasons people don’t touch older platforms, is impossible to get all that knowledge by yourself.

You can try and learn it by youself, but Asus designed the REX to die before that happens. ?

Edit: at this point I've given up and moved to EP45T.

Edited by Noxinite
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1