HWBOT Community Forums

P4C800-E modBIOS

Antinomy

• Crew

Thought I'd let it go wild. A benchBIOS made by Hardware Hackers (me in particular). Been known by some for about 10 years.
The thing is, I didn't add any features, it was all there done by Asus, I've just unlocked them and made some bench-related changes.

List of changes:

Based on latest 1024 beta

Set by CMOS default:

1) No logo screen
2) Floppy disabled
3) IDE timeout = 0
4) Overclocking mode = manual
5) MPS 1.4
6) Timings set manually
7) Spread spectrum disabled
? Onboard devices = disabled
9) Speech POST reporter = disabled
10) USB timeout = 10sec
11) USB Highspeed = enable

Moved following menus:

1) Hyperthreading moved to jumperfree (it's the only option needed in CPU configuration so moving in jumperfree saves some time)
2) Moved PCI Latency to chipset settings (it's the only option in PnP that is useful for changing for PCMark for example, so moved to a more popular section)
3) Moved memory timings to jumperfree except burst length (from previous investigations this menu doesn't do anything and I don't like useless things).
4) New memory divider menu has replaced the old one
5) DRAM Command Rate placed in Jumperfree under main timings
6) Created an "Advaned memory settings" submenu in Jumperfree and moved subtimings there (Burst length, Idle Timer, Refresh Rate and ECC capability too)
7) Placed Microcode updation instead of "Max CPUID level 3" (who needed that one anyway?) in CPU configuration.
? Placed AGP 4x Override under "Graphic Adapter priority" in chipset settings.
9) Removed AI tuner menu

So Jumperfree currently has frequency, voltage and timings on one page and that makes it close to AI tweaker.

Keyboard input for FSB frequency - it was such a waste of time to set the required value by pressing + or -.

Unhidden menus:

1)  All strap & memory dividers available despite the FSB frequency and labled clearly (by Asus, not me)
2)  Command Rate
3)  Dual Channel Organization
4)  Write to Read Command Delay
5)  Write Recovery Time
6)  Write-Read Command Spacing
7)  Read-Write Command Spacing
? Read Delay
9)  Dynamic Read Delay Adjustment
10) Microcode Updation
11) AGP 4x Override

P4C800-E mod.zip

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4

• Crew
On 3/29/2021 at 3:30 PM, ludek said:

Have you discovered anything special in the BIOS?

Well, a lot of subtimings and some interesting things like another memory divider setting that allows to set dividers from another strap, not only your current allowing modes like DDR500 and DDR533 at 200FSB.
Most of these had an override like cross-flash for dividers or Memset for subtimings but they were already hidden in BIOS so I've made them available via BIOS. Plus many nifty things for benchmarking like disabling LAN/sound/ports and keyboard input for FSB frequency.
You can open the BIOS with AMIBCP and look through text strings, the settings are all listed there.

• 2 months later...
  • Crew
2 hours ago, 4n0nym0u5b3nch3r said:

Does this work with the P4P800/SE?

If you have a programmer or a board to hotflash, give it a try. IIRC, the 865/875 were compatible between generations. The first generation P4P800 with P4C800 is gen1 and P4P800SE with P4C800-E are gen2. I do have a P4P800 SE but haven't tested it yet.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for hijacking this thread.

I was impressed by Antinomys work here and I wanted a simmilar mod BIOS for my P4P800 SE board. I also just relinked the hidden options, so no new options.

I have to thank Antinomy here! I would not be able to do this without his help!

changelog:

unlocked hidden and unlinked options:
* other FSB/Memory Ratio (mod1 file)
* CPU B.I.S.T. (???)
* Write to Read Command Delay
* Write Recovery Time
* Write-Read Command Spacing
* Read-Write Command Spacing
* Read Delay
* Dual Channel Organization (Tiled / Linear)
* DRAM Command Per Clock
* ICH DCB Enable (???)
* other options caused BIOS errors

* seperate DRAM menu
* changed defaults: MPS Revision to 1.4 and Full Screen Logo to disabled

I didn't move / reorganize the menu as Antinomy did. I will probably do this some time in the future.

I uploaded two versions of this mod BIOS:

• mod1 file has the "new" FSB/Memory ratio menu
  • mod2 file has the original FSB/Memory ratio menu

P4P800SE_mod1.zip P4P800SE_mod2.zip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• Crew

Have you tried using my BIOS in P4P800SE? I'd recommend to disable integrated peripherals as well - audio, COM and other stuff.

1 hour ago, digitalbath said:

Dual Channel Organization (Tiled / Linear)

According to the datasheet, this one works only for IGP, so I didn't take it out.

8 hours ago, Antinomy said:

Have you tried using my BIOS in P4P800SE? I'd recommend to disable integrated peripherals as well - audio, COM and other stuff.

I didn't flash your BIOS, but I looked at it in AMIBCP. I like your reordered Menu.

Disabling stuff like audio, lan, com, speech POST reporter is on my list. My Plan is also to add some new options. Before doing this, I will have to find the position of CMOS mask in the AMI strings (first, second, third or fourth position after label I guess) and test the new options before adding this.

8 hours ago, Antinomy said:

According to the datasheet, this one works only for IGP, so I didn't take it out.

I also read that. Switching to tiled mode works, but I didn't notice any changes. So probably this is useless. I will retest this option.

• Crew

I didn't flash your BIOS, but I looked at it in AMIBCP.

I mean, if it works, there's not need for an extra BIOS for P4P800SE. You could use mine and mod it if you like. So you don't waste time and power. The menus were added by hand, the chapters were moved using AMIBCP.
I took the idea from Asus Jumperfree section on newer 775 boards when you have all you need: frequencies, voltage, timings - all in one place.

Before doing this, I will have to find the position of CMOS mask in the AMI strings

http://web.archive.org/web/20090503062933/http://www.rebelshavenforum.com/sis-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=52;t=000132

Bottom of the page.

Edited by Antinomy
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, Antinomy said:

I mean, if it works, there's not need for an extra BIOS for P4P800SE. You could use mine and mod it if you like. So you don't waste time and power. The menus were added by hand, the chapters were moved using AMIBCP.

I will probably try to flash your BIOS. My intention was also to learn modding strings and menu in AMI. I tried that before and got stuck at a point where links of stings didn't make a sence. Splitting 1B module was the trick to get the correct location numbers.

I also made new jumperfree, dram and chipset menu by hand. Works perfectly. I want to try to add new options in the next step (more for the K7NF2 board than P4P800SE).

edit:

31 minutes ago, Antinomy said:

Bottom of the page.

I found it, many thanks!

Edited by digitalbath
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...
  • Crew

I've been playing with s478 so here's something interesting. My BIOS does work with P4P800 (PCB rev 1.02) and P4P800 SE (PCB rev. 2.00). Next thing I wanted to check is PAT since I had 875 and 865 boards using the exactly same BIOS.

As some of you know, Asus managed to enable PAT on 865 boards. This has been done using FSB133 strap with 1:1 divider.
So, one thing to know - PAT can be enabled partially and fully. Memset doesn't show the difference so it's useless. Another option that Asus has is performance mode [auto/turbo] that tightens subtimings and enhances latency. Both PAT (performance acceleration mode is Asus BIOS) and performance mode have a major impact on memory latency and less on memory throughput.
So here's some AIDA tests:

Asus P4C800-E, P4P800 SE, Pentium 4 3.0E, 2*512 Winbond 2-2-2-5 1T, 1:1 strap 200, FSB 200

P4C800-E, PAT, auto
6296/4273/5031/80.7

P4C800-E, PAT, turbo
6293/4274/5031/70.6

P4P800 SE, no PAT, auto
6282/4273/4862/102.6

P4P800 SE, partial PAT, auto
6294/4273/5007/88.7

P4P800 SE, partial PAT, turbo
6293/4273/5018/80.6

So, things to consider here - 875 and 865 are different. PAT, even partial does work both on 865 and 875. Gain from partial PAT is less than from full PAT.
Now time for some magic.

P4P800 SE, 1:1 strap 200, you can see partial PAT.

865PE_200.thumb.PNG.ae400a42f5504fd076ecb1e74ed0600a.PNG

Now we boot with P4P800 SE, 1:1 strap 133 on FSB200:

865PE_133.thumb.PNG.b3d6e6c609c1392f5f94140d6c1597a5.PNG

We can see fully enabled PAT and latency that clearly confirms this. But this info wasn't new.

P4P800 SE, 5:4 strap 200, FSB200:

865PE_200_5_4.thumb.PNG.79c8708b3d5a04e002f2898df90c80f6.PNG

P4P800 SE, 5:4 strap 166, FSB200

865_166.thumb.PNG.cfb58c6222ea3ea27e7c1059a020204d.PNG

We can see fully enabled PAT with 5:4! So after some testing and double-checking on P4P800 (rev. 1.02) I can say this:
865PE can use fully enabled PAT on all straps and dividers except strap 200 (1:1, 5:4, 3:2).
So PAT works on 1:1 strap 133, 5:4 strap 166, 3:4 and 4:5. In these modes 865PE will be fully equivalent to 875P.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...

I've tried your BIOS on my P4C800-E Deluxe rev 2.0, but I'm not able to change memory timings: even if i set tCL to 3T, it stays on default 2.5T (same for tRP and tRCD). I tried both 1:1 and 4:5 with 800 MHz CPU.

Tried to load BIOS defaults, but it didn't help. Do you have any idea what went wrong? I used old afudos 2.11 for flash (if that helps).

Edited by luk1999

• Crew
2 hours ago, luk1999 said:

I'm not able to change memory timings: even if i set tCL to 3T, it stays on default 2.5T (same for tRP and tRCD). I tried both 1:1 and 4:5 with 800 MHz CPU.

Very interesting, I didn't change timing menus. I'll check and let you know.

• 2 months later...
  • Crew
On 7/30/2022 at 1:36 AM, Sparks.nl said:

Hi, when I load the Mod BIOS from the first post most OC options are gone.

It is for the Deluxe version. In fact, the P4C800-E is only Deluxe. There's no non-deluxe (only regular P4C800). You should load CMOS defaults or make CMOS reset using a battery or during flashing the BIOS (there's a flag for that). After that you should be fine. I've flashed it several times to three boards (two of which are i865) and it works like a charm.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Antinomy said:

It is for the Deluxe version. In fact, the P4C800-E is only Deluxe. There's no non-deluxe (only regular P4C800). You should load CMOS defaults or make CMOS reset using a battery or during flashing the BIOS (there's a flag for that). After that you should be fine. I've flashed it several times to three boards (two of which are i865) and it works like a charm.

Best bios in town for this board. Thanks for that Alex. :)

• Thanks 2