HWBOT Community Forums

Testing GIGABYTE X79-UD7 ...

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey is it just me, or is performance a lot better now than it was right at release with new BIOS? I am trying to do this review between the G1 Assassin 2 and the UD7, i test everything at 4.5ghz and 1333mhz memory. What I am thinking now is that I had C1E enabled with the UD7, probably throwing off things? My score for P is 6000K+ with the Assassin2, and with the UD7 back then it was only 5500. I went back and checked the screenshot, my numbers are right, the physics score tho is higher on the UD7, and GPU scores is very close on both, but subtests on the assassin2 are off the charts. I am going to go retest, but does C1E make that much difference?

Hey is it just me, or is performance a lot better now than it was right at release with new BIOS? I am trying to do this review between the G1 Assassin 2 and the UD7, i test everything at 4.5ghz and 1333mhz memory. What I am thinking now is that I had C1E enabled with the UD7, probably throwing off things? My score for P is 6000K+ with the Assassin2, and with the UD7 back then it was only 5500. I went back and checked the screenshot, my numbers are right, the physics score tho is higher on the UD7, and GPU scores is very close on both, but subtests on the assassin2 are off the charts. I am going to go retest, but does C1E make that much difference?

you should just rerun the tests with all power savings features disabled.

yea I should, at that time tho it didn't work with them disabled, but I am trying to figure out if they were disabled or not. I think i delayed running benchmarks until they were all disabled. Well either way it will be interesting. I test SPI pretty similar results.

• 1 month later...

See that this thread was quite dead for 2 months. Since Gigabyte released F9 and F10 official BIOS-es, all previously released was removed from the main site. It's interesting. Were they so poor at OCing or bad desing? Still question. I ran through the posts, aned made some quick benching with my C2 3930K and brand new UD7 with the F2 BIOS as it arrived. Results are really bad, the previously written 4,8GHz clock wall occurs that many forum members wrote before. No matter what voltage, no matter what strap. I was just curious, now flashing the F10 official BIOS, and will write soon the results achieved by that.

Bad thinking starts to overwhelm my brain that this board was a bad choice... :(

HGyu

Been testing the F10 bios for the last couple of hours. It's ehrm, ..., not good. Let's just say I'm happy Ivy Bridge will replace X79 in most benchmarks ...

Also, can't flash back to the F8d bios now because the BIOS image is outdated. F8d worked sort of okay ... not sure what to do now.

//edit: I'm sure Dinos22 will not be happy about this, but I really can't understand this UD7 anymore. Between BIOS releases, there's such a large difference in overclocking capabilities. The board's behavior (debug) is so different as well. Sigh. Well, back to the bios ...

Been testing the F10 bios for the last couple of hours. It's ehrm, ..., not good. Let's just say I'm happy Ivy Bridge will replace X79 in most benchmarks ...

Also, can't flash back to the F8d bios now because the BIOS image is outdated. F8d worked sort of okay ... not sure what to do now.

//edit: I'm sure Dinos22 will not be happy about this, but I really can't understand this UD7 anymore. Between BIOS releases, there's such a large difference in overclocking capabilities. The board's behavior (debug) is so different as well. Sigh. Well, back to the bios ...

Did you try flashing back from F10 to F8d from DOS? Former boards with SPIFlash allowed flashback via /y or /z parameter (force flash), that Q-Flash from BIOS or @flash at win did not allowed. Perhaps it will work also here. You suggest that I should try the F8d in contrary to F10?

HGyu

Edited by 04ahgy

You suggest that I should try the F8d in contrary to F10?

HGyu

Not really. It's just a matter of having BIOS support for your memory kit. This kit did well on F8d, but completely fails on F10 (couldn't get anything to run aside from 'auto' frequency). Swapping out to GTX8 kit pretty much solved most of the memory related issues (DDR3-2400 within a couple of minutes)

Air clock wall is still present but subzero cooling eliminates clock wall? Hmmm, sounds interesting.

It has been the case since the absolute beginning. This 'bug' is present on a lot of boards; had it on the GD65 with 100bclk strap, saw it on the Evga boards, seen it on the GBT line-up, also present on the Biostar boards and so on.

Zolkorn didn't have the bug on the GD65 when using 1.25x BCLK strap, so that might be worth a try on the giga too. Then again, it was possible to workaround this bug on GD65 too with the PLL override method, but that didn't work on giga.

Try with 1.25x bclk multi Massman it will not problem for 5GHz and don't need any special setting or any trick on i tried but if play with 100MHz bclk i can't boot up at 5GHz too with V1.0B12 bios on i tried it about few month ago :)

some result for 5GHz on this board and more results can see here >> http://www.overclockzone.com/zolkorn/year2011/11/msi_x79a_gd65_8d/index4.htm

http://www.overclockzone.com/zolkorn/year2011/11/msi_x79a_gd65_8d/results/pi32x12_3960x5g_x79gd65.png

Not really. It's just a matter of having BIOS support for your memory kit. This kit did well on F8d, but completely fails on F10 (couldn't get anything to run aside from 'auto' frequency). Swapping out to GTX8 kit pretty much solved most of the memory related issues (DDR3-2400 within a couple of minutes)

It has been the case since the absolute beginning. This 'bug' is present on a lot of boards; had it on the GD65 with 100bclk strap, saw it on the Evga boards, seen it on the GBT line-up, also present on the Biostar boards and so on.

Zolkorn didn't have the bug on the GD65 when using 1.25x BCLK strap, so that might be worth a try on the giga too. Then again, it was possible to workaround this bug on GD65 too with the PLL override method, but that didn't work on giga.

Ah, see. This F10 BIOS seems to do really weird things. If I set 1,5V for the VCore its just fine, using the Extreme LLC the measured voltage matches exactly the set one in BIOS, under light, heavy loads and also Idle, there is just 0,02...0,03V difference. I think that is far above from satisfactory results. :D

But, when I set ALL settings form "Auto" to "normal" in the VRM and voltage control section, then VCore drops to 1,33V, and remains that until I revert changes to "Auto". Really weird.

My memory seem to be okay using both F2 and F10 BIOS, some sticks of MGH-E Hypers.

Also the lack of the naming of the OC profiles is a big drawback.

Then there is the LLC. The BIOS ver. F2 set them by mohm, the F8d sets it via percentage levels, but this F10 version uses preset names for that (but the default indication still named 60%, LoL). I pretend to think that BIOS improvements(??) are a bit unconsideredly and hastily released. :(

Did you try flashing back from F10 to F8d from DOS? Former boards with SPIFlash allowed flashback via /y or /z parameter (force flash), that Q-Flash from BIOS or @flash at win did not allowed. Perhaps it will work also here. You suggest that I should try the F8d in contrary to F10?

Confirmed, that parameters working with spiflash.exe do not work with efiflash.exe. :( I tried it 5 minutes ago. :(

O.C. button does not do anything for me using BIOS version F10: Loaded UEFI Defaults, then save, then poweroff. Pressed O.C. button, booted to windows, and all the clock were the same (wprime1024M)...

Edited by 04ahgy

Then there is the LLC. The BIOS ver. F2 set them by mohm, the F8d sets it via percentage levels, but this F10 version uses preset names for that (but the default indication still named 60%, LoL). I pretend to think that BIOS improvements(??) are a bit unconsideredly and hastily released. :(

I think they don't really know what users want exactly. Well, everything's better than "level 1-10" :D

Recently have tested my 3930K CPU in a friend's board, Rampage IV Extreme, 5050MHz 6c/12t easy @ 1,54V... :( UD7 still has this clock wall. I really hope that they will eliminate it soon and / or under subzero it will behave normal.

HGyu

my 4.7GHz air chip did 5.3GHz subzero during some magazine photo shoot, it was the first time i took it subzero actually..... so expect a big clock boost when you go cold for sure

I will try it for sure soon, and I will be reporting the results. Do you have some einformation about a new deta BIOS that does the very awaited miracle? :D

Thanks, George

this board looks a badass efficiency wise but still 100mhz short of R4E on ln2

we tested 04ahgy"s cpu yesterday on the ud7 first. 1.63v 5250-80mhz max not validated. 5300 benchable, 5340mhz max valid on the rampage with only 1.53v. 1.52v 5300 3dv - 3d11 cpu test stable. but from the eff side of things, the ud7 looks real good, maybe im just too rookie to the rampage ..