HWBOT Community Forums

PCMark05 Tweaking Thread

Christian Ney

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Crew

Any software (tweak - trck - cheat or whetever) altering the benchmark achieve a result bulky is not permitted.

There are many twaeks that altering the perception of the benchmark, because replace or modify temporary files of own benchmark.

Any tweak doing this, is not allowed, and at that time no longer a tweak is a cheat, obviously becomes illegal, most probably the bencher use a cheat, runs the risk of being called a cheater and in turn that the staff can take action on.

Why should all offer there tweaks??? It doesnt matter, then we use new tweaks... and again all say cheat

No limits, apparently, to the tweaks, then Sam OCX is right.

Situation with PCM05 is such that you might have to prove that your tweak is legit before you can use it, otherwise everyone will just cheat (there is no "obvious" detection for it unlike in other benchmarks) and claim they know a tweak which hwbot staff doesn't.

Note:This place is Hardwarebot , not sofwarebot, overclocking the hardware is only one and the most important, here :)

Edited by Sweet

• Crew
so what should i overclock to get x100 boost in text edit or x5 WPR?

is interesting. but tweak (better Cheat) TE (text edit) is illegal, because modify temporary files, As I See It ;)

at this moment, all this is being discussed in the staff, we need a little time to come to a desicion.

my apologies and all the staff by this

Edited by Sweet
language corrections made ​​by my daughter

there is another problem with the staff. As they are pretty much all active benchers, why would anybody want to give them the tweaks? if found valid, then they ride on the coat tails of those who developed or found the tweak for themselves. simple case in point, te and wpr are being used by staff members apparently.

You need to prove that is legit, though. An untweaked score will be MUCH lower, and benefit of doubt won't be given. We'll clean the rankings once we know exactly how to proceed, and there will be a newspost regarding the "new rules" (which are not really new at all, it's just that people seem to ignore them when they bench pcm05).

Hooray, progress, thanks to the new crew members :)

You can't say that is cheat. I tell you that it is but can you prove it ? With the same way I can show you whatever number you want even 1p/s less/more than yours. I wonder why guys you don't push the clocks at limits and you bench at stock freq. or the results would be very...hmm...let's say huge!

I can ask you to prove that it's legit. By your reasoning we'd have to accept 30GHz CPUZ subs, too. We can't PROVE that your submission is wrong, but if a subtest score goes up "too much" it gets so suspicious that you have to offer additional proof, which effectively means showing your tweak to us so we can verify that it's legit.

I can ask you to prove that it's legit. By your reasoning we'd have to accept 30GHz CPUZ subs, too. We can't PROVE that your submission is wrong, but if a subtest score goes up "too much" it gets so suspicious that you have to offer additional proof, which effectively means showing your tweak to us so we can verify that it's legit.

if this is the case, then how is it fair to have to bench against moderators if the tweaks are not public? (if found to be legit) what is in place to protect the user's hard work from being exploited by the staff? it makes being hwbot staff an over-privileged position when viewed from a competitive benchmarking standpoint as a user may have to be forced to "show all their cards."

mabye the staff shouldnt be awarded points? this would make them referees instead of opponents.... or mabye a dedicated staff member that does not participate in points (also another potential problem as "word of mouth" seems to be fairly common around here)

*my popcorn got stale*

Edited by zeneffect

• Crew
mabye the staff shouldnt be awarded points? this would make them referees instead of opponents.... or mabye a dedicated staff member that does not participate in points

Not bad, can be a good idea, I will be moving this idea to the discussion in the staff ;)

(also another potential problem as "word of mouth" seems to be fairly common around here)

I dont think so, staff members can not commentate anything that is discussed internally, as it is a moral and ethical obligation to which we all subscribe.

I do not think we should use the knowledge of the tweaks to benefit or gain points....:)

Edited by Sweet

Fully agree! Do you know, how much time it coast to find something for this bench? We work, and staff must get it, otherwise its cheat...where is this fair?

Trust me. We use exactly the same way for TE. 0 characters in the temp file. You just set more than 0 so you have a worse score...or if it's not exactly the same it's almost the same.

if this is the case, then how is it fair to have to bench against moderators if the tweaks are not public? (if found to be legit) what is in place to protect the user's hard work from being exploited by the staff? it makes being hwbot staff an over-privileged position when viewed from a competitive benchmarking standpoint as a user may have to be forced to "show all their cards."

mabye the staff shouldnt be awarded points? this would make them referees instead of opponents.... or mabye a dedicated staff member that does not participate in points (also another potential problem as "word of mouth" seems to be fairly common around here)

*my popcorn got stale*

How a user shows the tweaks is not our choice, it can be a public thread. And tbh I doubt that if those tweaks were "mod public" they'd stay that way. That would be ethically wrong. No need to comment on the rest of your post, then? :P

• Crew
Trust me. We use exactly the same way for TE. 0 characters in the temp file. You just set more than 0 so you have a worse score...or if it's not exactly the same it's almost the same.

.rft in blank go to infinite ;)

Thats why is illegal, you modifie temps files in the benchmark

Fully agree! Do you know, how much time it coast to find something for this bench? We work, and staff must get it, otherwise its cheat...where is this fair?

Because if you find something that raises the score too much there is a VERY high chance you're manipulating the calculation. Most of the new tweaks are indeed cheats (yes, I use that word), and that proves my point. If it's too good to be true, then it probably is.

A "normal" tweak would boost the score by a couple of percent max. It's what we're used to from most other benchmarks.