HWBOT Community Forums

PCMark05 Tweaking Thread

Christian Ney

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Crew

The 12.8 decision was made based on internal testing. If you don't agree with it, so be it... no use in repeating it daily... you know it's allowed, use it or don't... that choice is completely yours...

PCmark05 in general is a joke at the rate it is going... it's purely software not hardware related...

Thats no bad thing - so it's the first benchmark, where you don't need the most expensive hardware to compete with the "pro's", even when these guys don't want to see and hear this. ;)

And it becomes hardware related again, when everyone uses the tweaks - then nobody has an advantage and benching with "weak" hardware will not gain better scores comapared with "strong" hardware if everyone is "forced" to use the same software-settings.

You can always put the same argument to all the other supertweaks, "supertweak with cheap HW beats expensive setups with highend components". I do agree that it was probably close to be disallowed when we made the decision, but I guess it was still a part of the old times, when we allowed nearly everything. Maybe we need to take a look at it again.

Is it virus scan or HDD general usage, btw? if the first of the two it should be possible to verify the performance in some way, as the virus scan engine is in the white paper somewhere.

You cant see gen usage and vs in all hdd Test Softwares. Only pcm05 scores. I tested it once in Team cup threat remember?

Hardware RAID Controller i can messure in every hdd test. My Setup scores over 2gb/s in hdd Benchmarks. In pcm05 i have between 600 and 1000mb/s gen usage.

This decission pissed @all areca buyers, Software killes hw RAID...

Edited by Moose83

You could do it 1-2 times just to show the boost in points, but you keep submitting with every cpu you have.

On the other hand it seems you don't like the way PCMark is going. I don't get it, but it seems you do it for the points.

And it's like "look at me, I'm the best, destroying all records". Offense not intended, but it's just the way it looks to the observer.

I play PC Mark a very long time;)

I dont like the way its going now! Before all the supertweaks i had good scores and points. I bought areca and played it really. Than all my scores where smashed by the tweaks... I spend lot of money for storage and wont stop it and keep my points;) Other people spend lot of money to have good ivy for 3d...

We all bench for the points, agree?

Edited by Moose83

We bench for points and because we enjoy what we do. I like pcm05, but i do not like these tweaks. I don't like having to do all sorts of tweaks to get a score that comes close. I too have spent a decent amount on storage. It might not be in the thousands, but I do have an areca. It just sits on the shelf along with my acard since I won't participate in this fashion. I'd rather loose points than run pcm05 this way. I'll just stick to 3d. I might not be as efficient as others, but I can still come close when clocks are similar.

• Crew
12.8 allowed by internal testing, lol...only testing pcm05 right...Had you ever tested some other Software, no for sure lol...

For sure young paddawan... tests were conducted during two days.. testing all formats and drivers and we found some nice things, not only in PCMark... tests even with mixed drivers... if you like or not the final call has been made ;)

Edited by Leeghoofd

Working on wrapper sounds good. But what will be incluted? TE and WB integrated? You cant say to all guys your scores will deleted...

When it's done HWB has to decide what is allowed and what not, untill then im going for ALL.

*DLL/EXE hashed

*JavaScript engine check

*Wordpad engine check

*TempDir hash

*FlashDesktop killed and/or window size reset

*No Mouse movement

*PowerToy reset to default

*AeroTuner reset to default

*LOD reset

*Default IE settings (Including Anchors/ZoneMap)

and others, one step at a time.

Screen will be watermarked and everything logged and timestamped.

Flash Desktop and Powertoys is allready allowed;) LOD is used in all other benchmarks, also allowed. And Setting, that are done in windows are allowed. so no need to block them;)

All of these are OK under the assumption that the calculations are indeed what they're supposed to be. That's what we have to figure out. LOD and mouse movement should be 100% OK, and at least the powertoy thread count. Not sure if the filters etc change the actual calculation.