- V1.0B31

- V1.0B32

- V1.0B34

- V1.11

- V1.2 Official

- V1.21 MOA

- V1.3B2

Updating the OC Dashboard

Full description on how to update the firmware of the OC Dashboard and make it work with the XPower board: LINK

Overclocking results: AIR cooling

- Pictures, 230MHz BCLK CL6-7-6 + 2100CL7-7-7 SuperPI 32M stable, work-around for high BCLK booting

- 238MHz BCLK SuperPI 32M stable

- 4G-2G-4G SuperPI 32M efficiency test

- 250MHz BCLK on air cooling

- 248Mhz BCLK SuperPI 32M stable on air cooling

Overclocking results: SS cooling

- DDR3-2150CL7-8-7, and 237MHz BCLK SuperPI 32M stable

- 246MHz BCLK 3D stable using full-speed QPI

- 255MHz BCLK SuperPI 32M stable, 261MHz BCLK CPU-Z using slow-mode QPI

Overclocking results: LN2 cooling

- Quick Wprime testing with 980X ES B1: 5.7G and 5.5G

- Madshrimps session: 980X + GTX285 + R5870 Lightning

Pictures

- Some pictures of the retail board

THE REAL OPENING POST

Intel Gulftown hasn't been my puppy yet. The B1 engineering sample I have here does not only suffer from severe clock issues, it also lacks in the field of handling cold properly. 6GHz 3D is just a dream for me ...

Since the release of the 980X I've been working with the Gigabyte X58A-UD7. Not a bad board, but it does have a couple of issues that makes it difficult to become best friends with. Last weekend I've quickly tried the Asus Rampage III Extreme, but serious cold issues prevented me from gaining any more clocks than with the UD7. More testing of the Asus board will follow for sure. So, yesterday night I tested the Xpower board from MSI (long overdue - sorry for that Leona!!). Just a quick SS phase session as I was busy beating 2100CL7 on Thuban that same night.

Some rig pics.

112.jpg

26.jpg

34.jpg

Since this was my first time booting the board, I quickly checked if the basic features are okay:

- Clock frequency reached on single stage ~ UD7: check

- Voltage levels according to bios setting: check

- OC Dashboard working: check

- "Failed boot"-reboot: check

Or to make it short: the board is good to start overclocking with. No need to put it back in the box after the first test session :D.

With little time left last night, I wanted to check some overclocking results, so 32M memory with the super-dooper way-too-expensive Corsair Dominator GTX2 memory. Result was an impressive (almost) 2400CL8 32M stable with only 1.72V on the memory and approx 1.42V VTT.

1190.png

Tomorrow I'm changing to liquid nitrogen on the mainboard and, hopefully, R5870 Lightning. So more results then.

Oh, if someone has a request for picture/test/anything, let me know!

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like I forgot to post the LN2 testing

Wrapping up the first batch of LN2 tests; 2D only so far.

The good:

- Coldbug and coldbootbug are almost the same, which is very good. It's around -106°C, so a little bit lower than what the UD7 could handle (-123°C). The rampage 3 extreme was a lot worse.

- Clock per volt/temp, the board is roughly the same as the tested UD7 and R3E. Because of the lower coldbug I'm about 50MHz lower in max benchable frequency.

- The 2D CPU performance is similar ot the UD7, so okay.

- Voltage set in bios = real voltage. super.

The need-to-be-fixed

- Listed a couple of things, will not list them here since I got the new bios today. Underneath posts will be with the new bios

27.jpg

The quick tests to check for stability. Didn't have a propper 3D card at my disposal, so only two Wprimes from that session.

2781.png

89938.png

All feedback was sent and today I received a new bios. The biggest issue of the previous bios was that the default B2B was set to 13(!) which allowed rediculous memory frequencies, but coming at no performance whatsoever. To give you an example: 2400CL8 was giving me 16k bandwidth. The new bios comes with a default B2B at disabled (or 0), which makes it clock a little less high, but comes at a higher performance level.

Oh, and I managed to -finally- flash my OC Dashboard. It's now perfectly working with this mainboard :D

I've focussed on memory and BCLK this night - only air cooling. First some picture of my dirty workspace.

114.jpg

28.jpg

35.jpg

Now some results.

230MHz BCLK CL6-7-6 (220MHz air // 240MHz phase with X58A-UD7)

230-1840-cl6.png

2100CL7-7-7 air

2100-7-7-7.png

Findings and Remarks:

Again, I've send my feedback to MSI. Just some things I wanted to share with you.

- VTT over 1.430V set in bios (~1.48V real) doesn't post. You can increase VTT with the OC Dashboard in Windows no problem

- 230MHz BCLK is straight from boot to windows and 32M stable, however to get it there you need to follow this routine:

--- boot into bios

--- set all correct multipliers and memory timings I want to use with 230MHz BCLK

--- set BCLK to 195MHz

--- save bios

--- boot into bios

--- set BCLK to 230MHz

--- soft reboot = I can boot at 230MHz into windows

- 210MHz 2:10 is perfectly stable, but not straight from boot to windows. Boot @ 210MHz = no loop stable; boot @ 195MHz and increase to 210 in windows = fully stable

- 230Mhz BCLK was done with 105Mhz PCie, 1.48V VTT and 1.3V IOH. Nothing tuned, nothing tweaked.

- At the moment, MEM/UNC ratios lower than 1/2 doesn't post. This should be fixed in the next bioses.

- The V-switch works differently (imho better) than on previous boards. Now it doesn't increase the voltage anymore, but removes the voltage securities in the bios. Eg: vswitch off = max Vcore of 1.7V, vswitch on = max vcore of 2.3V

Tomorrow I will switch back to the Single Stage to see if I can get more from BCLK and memory. For 3D comparison I will have to wait untill a new high-end VGA lands on my desk. Let me know if I need to test things in particular or make some pictures or so.

//edit: before someone kicks in the open doors - no, the efficiency of the 32M is not superb, I didn't care. No, the results are not extraordinary, they are where they should be.

very nice results pieter-jan. :)

btw. did you deactivate the voltage reading on cpu-z or doesn't it work proberly with the board?

The voltage isn't visible in CPU-Z for some hardware/software related issue. MSI's looking into the issue right now.

nice keyboard! :P

Whaaaa? People are now bashing me because my keyboard looks. This is high-school all over again :D.

Quite frankly ... it's the one keyboard I never have issues with.

Nice mobo! and nice OC massman...

I don't know why this mobo (sample one) is not available for Iran?! has it a particular reason?

anyway, MSI Oc dashboard was so usefull part for me...

Board will be in full retail in June, if I remember correctly. That's probably why it's not available yet :)

One way to get higher on the ranking is if you agree with all overclockers from the middle east to buy ONE brand. However releases the product first gets massive sales, so manufacturers will try to release the products first.