HWBOT Community Forums

The official HWBOT Team Cup 2013 - SC4: "Live Performance" thread.

Christian Ney

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see 20 people in the Madshrimps video.

Moose83's video doesn't have any spectators: http://hwbot.org/submission/2377734

I see about 8 dudes in this one: http://hwbot.org/submission/2377873

The others in CPUz look decent, though both CPUz and AM3 of this one don't actually show OCing and People at the same time: http://hwbot.org/submission/2377882

The pics involving OCing have an empty hall.

As a comparison, this one's video is Doing It Right: http://hwbot.org/submission/2377866

• Crew

We have had 3 officially announced events, for a live audience... I'm benching and talking to the public then, not handling a freaking camera...

Quoting the rules Morphling : Ideal for this sub-competitions are local LAN parties, retailer shop demonstrations and bigger IT events such as CeBIT.

Bobnova question: So when do you start to film, once you have 20 spectators at once ?

Our roadtrip for Stage 4 comprised:

Step 1 MSI OC demo at CDROMLAND shop ( was on facebook and via mailing list ) Teaching people how to OC. My old ugly face was even on "]dutch TV !

Step 2 Tones OC demo at the Tones shop ( where funskillz provided the video footage from ) and indeed it was kindda calm that day...

Step 3 Gigabyte OC at Local distributor 2BY2 we had all the time audience visiting the different booths...

All the event articles are at the MADSHRIMPS webbie...

Event article 1: MSI-MPOWER-OC-EVENT

Event article 2: HWBOT-TeamCup-2013-Stage4

count the nr of people watching us promote the hobby... I really no longer see any point in discussing the matter...

If we honestly didn't deserve them stage 4 points , then I'm out of this hobby as it seems the nitpicking crowd is taking over the show...

Focusing on the benching part would have been a better option instead of analyzing or interpreting the laid down rules !

Edited by Leeghoofd

I don't see 20 people in the Madshrimps video.

Moose83's video doesn't have any spectators: http://HWBOT.org/submission/2377734

I see about 8 dudes in this one: http://HWBOT.org/submission/2377873

The others in CPUz look decent, though both CPUz and AM3 of this one don't actually show OCing and People at the same time: http://HWBOT.org/submission/2377882

The pics involving OCing have an empty hall.

As a comparison, this one's video is Doing It Right: http://HWBOT.org/submission/2377866

As I mentioned earlier, we will be very flexible with the rules in this stage as it's the first time this type of stage is part of an HWBOT competition. 8, 20 or 50 people is not really important ... as long as you try to spread the word on overclocking and help people to understand what we're doing. I must say I'm very happy to see this many videos! Pretty damn awesome! From everyone involved.

Just went over the videos, removed the one of Moose since that's just benching at home as far as I can see. But the others are good for this competition. As said, you don't need to do it at a lanparty or tradeshow, those were just two options. A shop or university is just as good!

Way to represent overclocking! :D

I agree with Massman :) This was a good idea, and as far as it matters just to spread the word of the OC, it's all that matters :)

Now, just a problem :S Since the video of BobNova was out, instead of 75 points, PURE should have 80 points... That will make us in 2nd place instead of 3rd place :) Please try to fix this, as it's important for our team :)

Andre Mesquita

I do like the idea of this stage but I don't think it has a place in a major competition like this. Perhaps on its own as a non-point stage for prizes or something but in its current form it is a failure. Only 7 teams actually put up scores in the stage and some teams not even for both substages, that is less than 10% participation rate. By including this stage, it effectively eliminates from the competition any team that isn't able to organize, can't afford, or isn't geographically situated to put on an event for the stage.

Again, I respect the idea of the stage and what was trying to be accomplished by it, but to eliminate 90% of the teams based on something that doesn't have to do with overclocking skill/hardware/ability doesn't seem the greatest idea. Just my two cents, on this stage now that its over.

Lol that wasn't a video of me.

Had I known the required number was down to 8 I'd have done a session in the parking lot at the shop, we have a pub nearby and I could have dragged that many over I'm sure :D

LOL I'm sorry BobNova xD I mean Moose's video! :)

Team PURE should got to 2nd place and not 3rd. :)

Lol that wasn't a video of me.

Had I known the required number was down to 8 I'd have done a session in the parking lot at the shop, we have a pub nearby and I could have dragged that many over I'm sure :D

Funny that you mention, I also thought a parking lot 'event' near a pub or college will be easier than renting and organizing a session lol. Everyone would want to see wtf is happening.

I think Massman said couple of times the number will be irelevant as long as you held the event in front of an audience that wasn't part of your team.

Always compete, if it's not valid it will be removed :)

So now that it's been made clear that the video doesn't have to actually show the score or overclocking, those of us who had videos but didn't submit should be allowed to.

At the N2OC MO event, we filmed AM3. Apparently that one video is enough to submit CPU-Z too... I have a CPU valid and AM3 score from that event as well as a video...

I do like the idea of this stage but I don't think it has a place in a major competition like this. Perhaps on its own as a non-point stage for prizes or something but in its current form it is a failure. Only 7 teams actually put up scores in the stage and some teams not even for both substages, that is less than 10% participation rate. By including this stage, it effectively eliminates from the competition any team that isn't able to organize, can't afford, or isn't geographically situated to put on an event for the stage.

Again, I respect the idea of the stage and what was trying to be accomplished by it, but to eliminate 90% of the teams based on something that doesn't have to do with overclocking skill/hardware/ability doesn't seem the greatest idea. Just my two cents, on this stage now that its over.

+1

This stage was complete nonsense in overall opinion of AwardFabrik team..

We held a session for the cup, did quite some organization, but what is the point of ringing out 8 locals from the village "oh please stand there one single guy wants some normal-joes on the video we just take"...

Could have done a video with 20 "real" people around but hey, why doing the rules for the existing community...

Rules like that in such a competition show how less practical things are getting here these days...

@Moose83 Yeah it was really hard to avoid reading all the rules and all the discussions about this stage and simply think grabbing these points would be that simple :rolleyes:

I understand your point of view and argumentation. It makes a lot of sense.

From HWBOT's point of view, we just want to give enough incentive for people to actually go and and show overclocking. Awarding points for a certain activity is a very simple way to incentivise people without too much trouble. The idea behind the "Live Performance" stage is actually not real competition, but rather giving a point bonus to teams that spread the word on overclocking outside of their regular environment. In my opinion, the amount of points that could be earned was not excessively high compared to the total amount of competition points. Maybe in the future we should just give everyone the same amount of points, regardless of the benchmark result.

The fact that only 10% of the teams joined this stage is not a concern, for my perspective. Even if only one team had joined it, I would still be fine with it. You are right, this stage is not so much about overclocking skill, hardware or ability. But it is definitely for overclocking effort and spirit, which are two aspects of OC that not always get rewarded properly.

I do understand your point of view, though.

From HWBOT's point of view, we just want to give enough incentive for people to actually go and and show overclocking. Awarding points for a certain activity is a very simple way to incentivise people without too much trouble. The idea behind the "Live Performance" stage is actually not real competition, but rather giving a point bonus to teams that spread the word on overclocking outside of their regular environment. In my opinion, the amount of points that could be earned was not excessively high compared to the total amount of competition points. Maybe in the future we should just give everyone the same amount of points, regardless of the benchmark result.

The fact that only 10% of the teams joined this stage is not a concern, for my perspective. Even if only one team had joined it, I would still be fine with it. You are right, this stage is not so much about overclocking skill, hardware or ability. But it is definitely for overclocking effort and spirit, which are two aspects of OC that not always get rewarded properly.

Agreed :) Spreading the word of OC is a really good thing, and this is a really good way to do it, no matter if it's only 8 locals or 100 people, the interest is to show what we do and its importance :)

• Crew
This stage was complete nonsense in overall opinion of AwardFabrik team..

We held a session for the cup, did quite some organization, but what is the point of ringing out 8 locals from the village "oh please stand there one single guy wants some normal-joes on the video we just take"...

The concept was to NOT do an internal OC session Chris, but to expose it to the non-believers :P

My only point of view on this for the future is the validity of the scores submitted to the stage. Were they done during the public OC show ? Only way is to do a live stream. It's obvious that with a decent video mix you can add the score footage somewhere in between. Nevertheless any exposure of our hobby is great !

I completely understand the idea behind the stage and why it was done. I even applaud the fact that HWBOT is so committed to getting the word out about overclocking but I still don't believe it belongs in a competition like this. Not because it isn't a great idea and important for the overclocking scene but because you are eliminating teams from the competition because they can't take part in Stage 4. For some teams its not even because they just don't want to bother, I would imagine there are teams that just are unable to compete in the stage.

In my opinion its different than not being able to simply find a piece of hardware because of the organization/time/money needed to participate in the stage. The point structure might be partly to blame, by not participating you are losing as much of 10% of your total score. It makes for non-level playing field since it gives preference for the bigger teams with infrastructure to put on events. Every team should be able to compete and have a chance at grabbing the points without a huge amount of investment. Especially when the investment isn't even in the hardware needed for the stage.

Again I like the idea and perhaps HWBOT should put some prizes up just for event submissions but for a stage in one of the major competitions it seems out of place. Maybe a reduced point total so the bigger teams don't get as much of an unfair advantage over smaller or more geographically diverse teams.

The concept was to NOT do an internal OC session Chris, but to expose it to the non-believers :P

My only point of view on this for the future is the validity of the scores submitted to the stage. Were they done during the public OC show ? Only way is to do a live stream. It's obvious that with a decent video mix you can add the score footage somewhere in between. Nevertheless any exposure of our hobby is great !

I undersatand what you say when you refer that the scores may not be done on the event, but if a user is doing it, you may be fooling the competition... but the more fooled person in the middle of such cheating is himself. Cheating is just not a way of winning, and if someone do this, you may in the prizes, but you won't have the same feeling of just winning flawlessly.

Still, it's a good point of view, but with this, HWBot can assure that they are doing their job on spreading the OC word as far as they can. Even if with some users trying to fool the results and pretending that it was a real live performance, there will always be correct people who still have good principles and just don't want to win it, without looking to the consequences :)

I undersatand what you say when you refer that the scores may not be done on the event, but if a user is doing it, you may be fooling the competition... but the more fooled person in the middle of such cheating is himself. Cheating is just not a way of winning, and if someone do this, you may in the prizes, but you won't have the same feeling of just winning flawlessly.

This is true, but it doesn't even come close to stopping everybody.

It's why *I* don't cheat (among other reasons), but plenty of people still do.

It's amazing how far people will go for prizes/money.