HWBOT Community Forums

The official ASRock FM2 A10 OC Competition thread.

Massman

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have problems at 15001430+ GPU even with the tool from Stilt. FPS drops no matter what.

Running Catalyst 13.9 on Win 7 x64.

PS: I get normal scores only at "1169" multi, but my APU's IMC is bad, so I'm limited to 120 bclk :/

same deal with what i have. there seems to be a black hole from 121 to 127 bclk for me. 128 boots but not stable.

Running ide mode helps in bclk. although my ssd drop off after 105. i had to use a pcie 1x 2 port sata card for my ssd to run higher bclk. or running normal hdd helps too.

same deal with what i have. there seems to be a black hole from 121 to 127 bclk for me. 128 boots but not stable.

Running ide mode helps in bclk. although my ssd drop off after 105. i had to use a pcie 1x 2 port sata card for my ssd to run higher bclk. or running normal hdd helps too.

No, I don't have problem with bclk. Running in IDE mode with my SSD I've tested up to 130.

Lower or higher divider (than 1169) for the IGPU results in lower fps when I try to match e.g. 1400MHz with the 1169 option. However with 1169 option and 3:32 mem divider max benchable is 1415Mhz for the GPU, because max stable mem frequency for this APU is 1290. Although I can load windows at say 1330 it is not benchable - crashes on desktop or reboots when I try to run 3dmark. Nothing helps - voltage, timings... I used ~1.7V (more was not needed) for the RAM, because it is the IMC failing. I gained a little on LN2, but not as much as I hoped.

I see top guys run the same multi, so I guess it's a common thing and I need a chip with better IMC.

On a side note - the board is rock stable. Bios recovers very well from bad settings and had absolutely no problem during the first sesion. Great job Asrock and Nick!

Also as Nick said - get a proper cooling for the pwm. Even after several hours at -190 for the cpu and -70 on the memory, the pwm heatsink was still warm and I had a fan placed over it.

BTW, thanks for the bios tip, that saved my @ss. I gues that block at the beginning is just a code for the bios flashing program. Flashed fine with Flashrom on Asus M4A89GTD.

Edited by I.nfraR.ed

oh sorry i knew about the IDE but i forgot to mention here in my last post,

not sure if the IMC stopped you, all CPUs ( 5 till now ) can run +1450 easy on gpu and +2666 on memories when right mem and temp and +1.9 Vdimm ( i can't suggest high vdimm as i heard its cpu killer) but honestly i tried always +1.9 and never lower with samsungs,CFR,BFR,PSC,BBSE

the only thing i can tell you is trying that with the timings i posted in my last post,

As nicky boy said when memories are lower than -50 i can't bench more than 1 hour, that means you have to know what you want to do exactly go -180 on cpu -100 memories boom run and save :D otherwise -20 is good enough for samsungs.

some points:

- If you have samsung go with them easiest memories to bench with Richaland ( 9-12-11-21 )then BFR and CFR( 9-11-10-25 but need -100)

- Don't touch PSC/BBSE they are very hard to bench when over 2666 ( one run is enough to kill hazzan score :D )

- I found my screen corruption problem was loading OS at -185 or so , loading OS and run 3d at -165 everything is OK

- If you have reboot or BSOD when Combined Test started, try -165 and not full pot

- High CPU is not really needed(20/30 points), focus on memory first then NB over 29XX, best way is leave easy CPU and NB find the best memory timings and frequency bench whole the 3D ( someone run only GTs, someone run only GT3,GT4) NO you have to run WHOLE the benchmark. after you find best combination then go higher NB and then CPU,

i thought NB freq and memory freq should be match but it is not with my tests, you can have low NB but high stable memory.

Hope i can help you guys.

No, I don't have problem with bclk. Running in IDE mode with my SSD I've tested up to 130.

Lower or higher divider (than 1169) for the IGPU results in lower fps when I try to match e.g. 1400MHz with the 1169 option. However with 1169 option and 3:32 mem divider max benchable is 1415Mhz for the GPU, because max stable mem frequency for this APU is 1290. Although I can load windows at say 1330 it is not benchable - crashes on desktop or reboots when I try to run 3dmark. Nothing helps - voltage, timings... I used ~1.7V (more was not needed) for the RAM, because it is the IMC failing. I gained a little on LN2, but not as much as I hoped.

I see top guys run the same multi, so I guess it's a common thing and I need a chip with better IMC.

On a side note - the board is rock stable. Bios recovers very well from bad settings and had absolutely no problem during the first sesion. Great job Asrock and Nick!

Also as Nick said - get a proper cooling for the pwm. Even after several hours at -190 for the cpu and -70 on the memory, the pwm heatsink was still warm and I had a fan placed over it.

BTW, thanks for the bios tip, that saved my @ss. I gues that block at the beginning is just a code for the bios flashing program. Flashed fine with Flashrom on Asus M4A89GTD.

my score gets higher when i start low until 1169. after that it is downhill all the way.

guess my ssd doesn't like the high bclk.

and yeah i was pulling my hair on the bios corrupt. i was darn happy when i could save mine. glad u can save yours too.

oh sorry i knew about the IDE but i forgot to mention here in my last post,

not sure if the IMC stopped you, all CPUs ( 5 till now ) can run +1450 easy on gpu and +2666 on memories when right mem and temp and +1.9 Vdimm ( i can't suggest high vdimm as i heard its cpu killer) but honestly i tried always +1.9 and never lower with samsungs,CFR,BFR,PSC,BBSE

the only thing i can tell you is trying that with the timings i posted in my last post,

As nicky boy said when memories are lower than -50 i can't bench more than 1 hour, that means you have to know what you want to do exactly go -180 on cpu -100 memories boom run and save :D otherwise -20 is good enough for samsungs.

some points:

- If you have samsung go with them easiest memories to bench with Richaland ( 9-12-11-21 )then BFR and CFR( 9-11-10-25 but need -100)

- Don't touch PSC/BBSE they are very hard to bench when over 2666 ( one run is enough to kill hazzan score :D )

- I found my screen corruption problem was loading OS at -185 or so , loading OS and run 3d at -165 everything is OK

- If you have reboot or BSOD when Combined Test started, try -165 and not full pot

- High CPU is not really needed(20/30 points), focus on memory first then NB over 29XX, best way is leave easy CPU and NB find the best memory timings and frequency bench whole the 3D ( someone run only GTs, someone run only GT3,GT4) NO you have to run WHOLE the benchmark. after you find best combination then go higher NB and then CPU,

i thought NB freq and memory freq should be match but it is not with my tests, you can have low NB but high stable memory.

Hope i can help you guys.

All points are valid with some exceptions for me

- I don't have anything different than BBSE/PSC/Hyper. I've used PSC. I have Adata 1600 BFR that are capable of high frequency, but they do not boot at all. Not stable with PSC/BBSE over 2600 at any timings. About 2550 was max on air and I've tried 3 kits good for 2600+ very tight subs (on intel though).

Actually I have Geil Evo Veloce 2400 from one of the competitions, but I've borrowed them to a friend for some test. Have to get them back.

- Loading OS at full pot was never a problem with my APU/MEM/Board. Also benched several hours with mem at -70, but I started with higher temp and there was no difference.

- High CPU is not needed, unless you're fighting for the last 20-30 points :D

Some observations from me:

- about 1.74V VDIMM was max for me. Anything higher and it was getting worse, no matter the temperature of the APU/memory. I settled with 1.7V.

- IGPU didn't like more than ~1.5V. Maybe that saved me from killing it :D

Unfortunately I don't have another APU to compare, however I have no choice but get another one this week.

Edited by I.nfraR.ed

forget comparing intel with amd on memories, same PSC/BBSE i can do easy AIR 2666 8-12-8 1.85 on intel i can't do the same even under LN2 here. as i said over 2666/2700 till 2600 i can bench easy 7-10-7 with both bbse and psc, had a run 7-9-7 with bbse thought, temp was very very important when i benched them higher than -100 they won't pass 3d.

High CPU for needed for testing , when you have final run you have to go over6g to get the last 20/30 points for sure :D my meant was playing with mem first witch can give you over 200 pts then go with cpu

I can't go so low on the mems with my "pot", so I'm safe :P.

I know that mem clock can't be compared across platforms, but expect them to run 2600+ on slack timings.

Getting the Veloce tonight, so I will check again. Can do 2600 easy.

On this platform 1200 7-10-7 was impossible on air, had to set 8-10-8/8-11-8.

As you can see from my sub I haven't pushed the cpu hard yet. I was mainly playing with mem and gpu, but had a benching wall at 1290MHz for the memory no matter which divider I was using.

Anyway, it was just the first test..I'm more than 1 week behind you guys, due to the bios update failure.

Edit: Just tested with 2x8 Geil Veloce 2400C11 and I can load Windows at 2600, but it's unstable just like with PSC, no way I can run 3d. 2570 XMP is fine for full 3dmark run, while 2600 even with a lot slacker timings just barely loads windows.

Pretty sure it's the IMC.

Edit2: Absolutely the same with Adata 1600G (BFR).

Edited by I.nfraR.ed