HWBOT Community Forums

The official ASRock FM2 A10 OC Competition thread.

Massman

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know if there's a way to revive Asrock A85 Extreme6 after a bad bios flash?

Not talking about a programmer device, because I can't find one in the weekend.

Got the board yesterday and tried to flash the LN2 bios today. Loaded setup defaults, reset and entered instant flash. It's the first time I try to flash a new bios on this board.

The process stuck at ~30%. Waited 10-15 minutes and it didn't move, everything appeared frozen. Had no other choice but restart and it's now dead. I only managed to install Windows :(

PS: If it matters - I've used the black usb2.0 ports near the clrCMOS button.

You should be able to hot flash it in pretty much any board with a DIP8 socketed bios.

http://ra.openbios.org/~idwer/flashrom/dos/

Command "Flashrom -p internal -w biosname.xxx"

In case that does not work, try: "Flashrom -p internal:laptop=this_is_not_a_laptop -w biosname.xxx".

Error: Image size (8392704 B) doesn't match the flash chip's size (8388608 B).

That with the second command, the first one errors out with "Programmer initialization failed" and I get on both

Calibrating delay loop... OK

Bad command or file name (x4 times)

I've tried with 3 bios versions and also tried with different file extensions - the original ones, bin and rom.

The board I'm trying on is Asus M4A89GTD. Will try on Asrock Z77 OCF in a moment, 'cause I don't have a newer AMD moard than this (except Crosshair IV Formula which is similar to the M4).

Not being someone who regularly submits 3DMark11 scores so not quite sure what's happening here, but there seems to be lots of invalid and/or unvalidated 3DMark11 scores posted so far. Especially these few recurring result details shown in many validation links,

Unable to verify AMD Catalyst tessellation setting, result invalid. (What is this?)

Benchmark tessellation load modified by AMD Catalyst driver, result invalid. Check your video driver settings. (What is this?)

Time measurement data not available. The validity of the result cannot be determined. (What is this?)

Graphics driver is not approved (What is this?)

Anyone care to comment? Thanks. :)

Edited by MacClipper

• Crew
1. Unable to verify AMD Catalyst tessellation setting, result invalid. (What is this?)

2. Benchmark tessellation load modified by AMD Catalyst driver, result invalid. Check your video driver settings. (What is this?)

3. Time measurement data not available. The validity of the result cannot be determined. (What is this?)

4. Graphics driver is not approved (What is this?)

1. Result is HWBOT valid. But not FM valid cause you are cheating the Tesselation of the benchmark

2. same as above

3. System info is not new enough to verify if you are using the windows 8 RTC bug / cheat. If you are running any other OS than win8 this result is still fine. Otherwise update your system info to 4.20. on futuremark site

4. You are using a beta or new graphics diver, its not FM valid but HWBOT supports the use of any driver

Several people have reported that the 3DMark score is dropping after a certain clock frequency has been reached.

The technical background of this issue is the "Bidirectional Application Power Management" (BApm).

The performance starts to degrade when the GPU divider is dropped to 3,00 or below (equals 1266MHz or higher SCLK at 100MHz BCLK).

It is because at this point the power envelope (44W on 6800K) for the GPU is reached.

When the GPU exceeds it's power envelope, BApm forces the SCLK to throttle to get the power consumption back within the limits. During the throttle the SCLK frequency will oscillate between 304MHz and 1266MHz (at 100MHz BCLK). Eventhou the BApm has access to the real power consumption and temperature data they are ignored for the SCLK power limit. The BApm only weights changes made to the commanded UNB Vdd and the SCLK Dpm frequency. Since the voltage changes made from the bios are not visible to BApm, it only sees the SCLK frequency itself changing. Therefore the SCLK throttling activates always at the same point, no matter if the chip is running on air or LN2 cooling.

Anyway I will post a tool to disable the throttling on Trinity and Richland APUs later today.

Have to make one first, as BApm cannot be killed easily without breaking number of other things :o

Edited by The Stilt

Several people have reported that the 3DMark score is dropping after a certain clock frequency has been reached.

The technical background of this issue is the "Bidirectional Application Power Management" (BApm).

The performance starts to degrade when the GPU divider is dropped to 3,00 or below (equals 1266MHz or higher SCLK at 100MHz BCLK).

It is because at this point the power envelope (44W on 6800K) for the GPU is reached.

When the GPU exceeds it's power envelope, BApm forces the SCLK to throttle to get the power consumption back within the limits. During the throttle the SCLK frequency will oscillate between 304MHz and 1266MHz (at 100MHz BCLK). Eventhou the BApm has access to the real power consumption and temperature data they are ignored for the SCLK power limit. The BApm only weights changes made to the commanded UNB Vdd and the SCLK Dpm frequency. Since the voltage changes made from the bios are not visible to BApm, it only sees the SCLK frequency itself changing. Therefore the SCLK throttling activates always at the same point, no matter if the chip is running on air or LN2 cooling.

Anyway I will post a tool to disable the throttling on Trinity and Richland APUs later today.

Have to make one first, as BApm cannot be killed easily without breaking number of other things :o

Thank You So much and Much Apriciacite Roger .

1. Result is HWBOT valid. But not FM valid cause you are cheating the Tesselation of the benchmark

2. same as above

3. System info is not new enough to verify if you are using the windows 8 RTC bug / cheat. If you are running any other OS than win8 this result is still fine. Otherwise update your system info to 4.20. on futuremark site

4. You are using a beta or new graphics diver, its not FM valid but HWBOT supports the use of any driver

so result with item 3 is fine for submission on window 7?

Had some nasty flashbacks from the time when I did the ACI...

Nothing has changed since those days.

None of the ODMs seem to follow the design guidelines, but instead use their custom configuration. And the custom configurations are rarely working perfectly and therefore the results may vary...

Tried three different boards and came across of three different configurations.

None of them followed the default configuration defined by AGESA.

Didn't try ASRock as I don't have one yet, but I think I managed to cover all of the possible scenarios :o

The fix itself is very simple, but to make it all work perfectly I had to build a logic around it.

The logic required around 20 times more rows than the fix itself.

The BApm controls all of the Dpms (dynamic power management) on 15h APUs.

There are different Dpms for NCLK (NB), SCLK (GPU), LCLK (Link), DCLK (Display), VCLK and few different Dpms for the UVD clocks too.

If the BApm is disabled you will loose all of those Dpms.

No Dpm (PState) change can occur after that. This includes both the clocks and the voltage.

The software will configure the Dpms prior disabling the BApm in a way that there will be no performance impact. For NCLK Dpm for example it will determine the highest performance resulting PState and lock the NBPll to that frequency prior disabling the BApm. After the BApm has been disabled no frequency change can occur (other than CPUPll & GPUPll, i.e frequency).

As the NCLK PState (and frequency) is tied to the GPU activity it is continously varying. In case the BApm would be disabled directly, the NCLK could lock into a low performance (frequency) state, which naturally would cause a performance impact.

Notes:

- In case the display driver crashes and is recovered the BApm needs to be disabled again

- Running simultaneously with CPU-Z or HWMonitor might cause a system crash.

- All of the changes will be overwritten by a reset

- Unlocking the NCLK frequency might require a cold reset

- The NCLK frequency cannot be changed in flight (e.g with PSCheck) after BApm has been disabled

- In case your are already running at critical UNB voltage levels (1.55V or above), do note that disabling BApm sometimes results a 25mV increase in the GPU voltage.

It is tested on Catalyst 13.9 WHQL and on 13.10 Beta 2 drivers.

AMD has changed and might change again the behavior of BApm in different driver versions, so the fix might not work on future or older drivers.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/22vdtd3ruwsd54s/DPT_R1.00.zip