HWBOT Community Forums

Futuremark announces changes to ORB

FM_Jarnis

Release the validation process for the older versions to HWbot and other websites who wish to authenticate results instead of doing that yourself. The older 3DMark versions will maybe not be missed on the ORB as much as we'd miss being able to verify their validity for competition purposes on HWbot and other sites, whereever applicable.

Agree 100%

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunatelly and though I'm registered to Futuremark forums, when I hitted the button from my post, it didn't show up in that thread of FM..... :o

I just wanted to add my oppinion but not.... :o

EDIT: I JUST show that it's OK now........with delay....... :D

Not a good idea... It will be very disappointing if they let us down, we still run those benches with every new CPU and new VGA we get and we need ORB to submit our results, that is why we bought the pro version.:( We need to do something about it, we need to push things to find a solution and keep the old ORB active next to the new one.

stealth

Not a good idea... It will be very disappointing if they let us down, we still run those benches with every new CPU and new VGA we get and we need ORB to submit our results, that is why we bought the pro version.:( We need to do something about it, we need to push things to find a solution and keep the old ORB active next to the new one.

stealth

Or at very least we need a way to get 05 scores without validation. Similar to the way 01/03 work.

To everyone: you heard the man! From now on, send all you hardware sharing accusations to Futuremark :)

As always; any cases of cheating related to FM benchmarks (or reporting any other oddities with ORB) - you can contact us by email: info [at] futuremark.com

While I cannot promise that we can help in investigating every case, we will consider all requests. Naturally cases that involve overclocking contests, hall of fame world records etc. will receive extra consideration. Include as much information and background detail as possible.

Yes, you can post but if you are a new poster, your first posts go through manual moderation to weed out spambots... patience.

if you guys are scrapping benchmarks that are 5 years old does that mean 06 is next? cut next year in theory?

Edited by packet

if you guys are scrapping benchmarks that are 5 years old does that mean 06 is next? cut next year in theory?

Heh, why would FM cut the current DX9 benchmark when DX9 is still widely used by games? I can assure you that 3DMark06 remains relevant as long as DX9 remains relevant. Start worrying only when all games are DX10+ and XP is as popular as 98 is today... (= not anytime soon)

Besides, we already discussed the feedback on Friday and the passionate response has been noted and heard; we are considering our options. The new ORB will come, but beyond that everything in our plans is on the table for re-evaluation - expect more on this early next week.

Jfyi

just Repeating This Again For The New Page.

We Have Been Listening To The Feedback And We're Re-evaluating Our Options, So Stay Tuned For More Information Next Week.

While The Older Benchmarks Named Represent A Fairly Small Portion Of Total Futuremark Benchmark Usage, We Do Recognize That The Users Affected Are Our Very Core Audience, So Please Keep Voicing Your Opinion On This Matter And Stay Tuned For Further Information Next Week.

Thanks,

Pasi Virtanen

Site Manager

Futuremark / Yougamers

ORB Support of Legacy Benchmarks - Round 2

Last week we made an announcement about the upcoming full rewrite of the ORB, complete with some changes and a planned discontinuation of legacy benchmark ORB support. We asked for your feedback and boy did we get it. In fact we were taken completely by surprise by the number of people who wanted us to continue supporting older benchmarks.

We are really pleased that so many people still find the older benchmarks useful and entertaining. So, we took another look and discussed the subject at length, considering what could be done, with all options on the table.

After considering the situation, we decided to take the time and do the extra work to continue supporting older benchmarks. It can't be done in time for the launch of the new service, but adding support for 3DMark03 and 3DMark05 to it will be our top priority. There will be a short transition during which 03/05 support will be unavailable.

As to 3DMark 2001 SE, we debated on it a lot but ultimately it boils down to several obstacles that, in combination, prevent us from adding it to the new system. First, even today 3DMark 2001 results in ORB are no longer validated in any way as the hardware component detection routines that shipped with it are not compatible with today's hardware, so the benefits of ORB validation are already very limited - the SystemInfo component used is completely different and cannot be updated like with 03/05/06/Vantage. The result format also has nothing in common with the later benchmarks, unlike 03/05 that are much more straightforward to support.

Then there are the usage figures - 3DMark 2001 SE usage is only 1,5% of monthly benchmark results in ORB (In comparison, 3DMark03 is 2,6% and 3DMark05 is 4,8% of total monthly usage. 3DMark06 and Vantage together are over 90% of all 3DMark results). I know some of you are going to be disappointed, but when you combine the technical issues blocking reasonably easy implementation with the usage figures, we still have to stick with the hard choice of retiring 3DMark 2001 SE support with the launch of the new service.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to post or get in touch with us. We really do care what our community thinks and as always, further feedback is more than welcome.