HWBOT Community Forums

Some love for Old School Hardware?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • Crew

Hey its very cool that this really happened. I would like to thank anybody involved with this. Although I actually didnt want to re establish the monthly competition series I appreciate the work made by the mods. My intention was to add a separate oldschool ranking to the bot. Seems I either didnt explained it correctly or its just unrealistic because of the huge coding work.

When I could add something to Round 1 of Competition:

We should maybe think about lift the limitations a bit to reach people participate because of "show & shine" factor. Not everyone has exactly the hardware needed lying around or wants to ebaying. So it may be a good idea to allow Geforce 1-4 also and sockets appeared prior S478 and S939. They wont have big chances to win but atleast they can participate.

Superpi 1m 2801Mhz Cap is a nice idea but it could also be interesting when you add a full out stage. Socket 478 standing no chance against S939...

• Crew

Maybe I've got you wrong about the competition. And being realistic another ranking is over the top. Too many of them as for me, I only use the hardware masters one.

A competition OTOH:

1) is realistic to implement

2) inspire users to achieve new results

3) might bring some new guys to old hardware

As for the competition - 478/939 are very popular and GF5 is of a corresponding era to them. Restrictions are pretty loose, I don't see a reason to try involving everyone. 2801 cap is for low clock challenge - it's about how we tweak the system and timings and it's a skill less common than cranking the voltage and pushing the clocks. An opportunity to improve our skills and learn something new.

Anyway thank you for inspiring all this. Will see how it turns out. Advices appreciated.

How would an oldschool ranking be different than the hardware masters? In order to do well in Hardware Masters you usually are using lots of old school tech, unless you mean to restrict the amount of subs like in XOC and such.

Maybe what is needed isn't another ranking but just away to show off those that are excellent in their field. A Hall of Fame page? Showing the members with the most hardware points in any socket/GPU series, maybe the page displays by default the sockets/GPU series with the most subs but can be arranged into some preset tabs (Newest generation/Old School/AMD/Intel/AGP/user defined?). At the very least it would give another thing for guys to try and achieve. I mean who is the number 1 overclocker in Socket 7 anyway?

But I'm a fan of competition series too, so all good here.

Hey its very cool that this really happened. I would like to thank anybody involved with this. Although I actually didnt want to re establish the monthly competition series I appreciate the work made by the mods. My intention was to add a separate oldschool ranking to the bot. Seems I either didnt explained it correctly or its just unrealistic because of the huge coding work.

Adding rankings requires back-end development work, whereas for creating competition and series we have front-end tools. It really is a lot easier and less time-consuming. I know it's not the perfect solution for everyone, since we have to move this to the OC-ESPORTS platform but it is what works :).

BTW, the series should have a working "Hall of Fame" ranking too. For some reason this isn't working properly on the OC-ESPORTS site so I will need to fix that. I will post the link here when it works :up:.

• Crew
How would an oldschool ranking be different than the hardware masters? In order to do well in Hardware Masters you usually are using lots of old school tech, unless you mean to restrict the amount of subs like in XOC and such.

Sorry but thats exactly the point, benching oldschool stuff doesnt do anything in hardware league. You can bench Socket 7 Systems forever, do crazy mods spend LN2 on it and get 100 pts in the end. Because benching that stuff awards you with 2pts in the best case, this is dedication for sure but to gain ground you have to own a good 4770k/4790k go to ebay and buy Geforce 8800 or similar. Last time I got a Radeon 5850 for cheap. I didnt even had to fire up my soldering iron or install a waterblock still I got 20pts. Dont get me wrong, I know these points are cheap to get and will lower with every new CPU generation.

To stay on top you have to do some really good CPU, mainly Socket 775 results but benching all the real old stuff is mainly for the team.

So thats why I had the idea for a separate ranking system. Introducing a Hall of Fame page for each socket would be the first step. You could award top positions with badges, which appear on users profile page but real competition comes with points!

• Crew
Maybe I've got you wrong about the competition. And being realistic another ranking is over the top. Too many of them as for me, I only use the hardware masters one.

If I red it correctly, Massman is just about to introduce yet another league anyway to motivate some youngster. This raises the question what does Massman to motivate people which are already some years in the game and dont want to become the master of CPU binning for Xtreme League or like to bench 100 different Socket 775 CPUs on LN2 for TopSpot in Hardware League.

Also we should consider that we already have a separated ranking in the bot, its called "Mobile Masters League". Is it over the top to create another menu point and accumulating some specific points together and call it Old School League?

But I try to be realistic, I was surprised about the response this threat got, I mean we have monthly competitions back which is very cool! But also knew that Massman wont spend coding time for old stuff which no sponsor is interesting in.

I'm sorry to hear you are disappointed with our efforts.

While it is true that we are considering a League as a solution for the beginner extreme overclockers, I want to clarify there's a difference between an additional classification within the Overclockers League, and adding an entirely new point algorithm. All the Overclocker Leagues (Rookie to Elite) are based on the same point algorithm, but categorize by user account type. This is relatively easy and not so time consuming to implement. Mainly because the algorithm to calculate the League Points is the same.

Adding a League like the Hardware Masters but for old-school hardware is a lot more time-consuming and complex because it includes development of a new point algorithm. Of course it is not impossible, but I would rather see our development time spent on fixing HWBOT bugs and improving OC-ESPORTS features. It is of course okay if you disagree with this decision :).

The competition series will have an overall ranking that combines all the different Old School is Best School rounds. You can see how this works for example with the Rookie Rumble ranking. Currently there is a bug that prevents the ranking for the old school competition to show correctly, but we're in the process of fixing that.

In the end, the entire HWBOT team tries to deliver the best possible experience with the resources available. Antinomy did a great job gathering ideas and coming up with the entire competition series structure, and Xyala made pretty cool artwork for it. SDougal is writing a news announcement about the series and I'm sure TheMadDutchDude will brilliantly cover the overclocking results as the series moves forward.

I hope you will enjoy the Old School is Best School competition series nonetheless! :woot:

• Crew

Massman, you said that making a new point algorithm would need effort whereas using the same one but "categorized by user account type".

What can you say about a point algorithm categorized by hardware type? Same points, but a ranking that counts only hardware older than socket T (775) for example? You've already rolled you charts with "most gold cups, most points in certain socket" so this isn't much different from your charts.

I mean who is the number 1 overclocker in Socket 7 anyway?

Well, I have a thought on that one :D but I hope Massman can clarify this case.

yeah there shoud be a separate ranking for performance in a hardware generation. why is a weak benchmark on a modern pc @ stock more worth than I.nfraR.ed awesome socket 7-results? ;)

and you don´t need skill to completely destroy the very best agp-results in the world by just benching a gtx960 @ stock on a core i5.

whats about generation wr-points? all sockets and gpu of a geneartion (exsample s939, 478, gf5 and r9k are one generation) compare together in a separate ranking.

Edited by Luebke

Massman, you said that making a new point algorithm would need effort whereas using the same one but "categorized by user account type".

What can you say about a point algorithm categorized by hardware type? Same points, but a ranking that counts only hardware older than socket T (775) for example? You've already rolled you charts with "most gold cups, most points in certain socket" so this isn't much different from your charts.

Without getting too technical, the main difference is that for a Competition we have all the code set in place to build a page with automatic ranking without having to do any additional development work. In addition, all the logic is set in place too. That includes caching, recalculation triggers, checks for scenarios like removing a submission and so on. For adding rankings to HWBOT, there's development work for the algorithm, caching, services, page maintenance, writing automatic tests, validation (to prevent the ranking from breaking when adding new features), etc. And this doesn't even include the logic to make the ranking interactive - for example to find all the results that are contributing to this ranking.

Building a competition can be done with no extra development overhead. Or simply put: I don't have to ask the developer to do anything.

About the Socket 7 ranking:

[b]Hardware Points with Socket 4/5/7 CPUs, excluding 3D benchmark[/b]

418.0	Antinomy
230.9	TheJudger
226.1	John May
195.5	Kolian
182.3	qwerty84
139.4	Christian Ney
136.1	egm_xt
121.0	havli
111.5	orange
90.8	zabit
88.0	darkniz
80.8	DrSwizz
79.3	Dead Things
70.5	Punisher
69.2	kwaz2
67.7	1BadMoJoe
65.2	RIBEIROCROSS
62.1	macsbeach98
60.1	WoOx3r[Pt]
54.5	Totocellux

SELECT user.name, SUM(result.hwpoints) pts FROM result
JOIN USER USING (user_id)
JOIN cpu_model USING (cpu_id)
JOIN application USING (application_id)
WHERE cpu_model.socket_id=262 AND status_id<10 AND application.ranking NOT LIKE "GPU"
GROUP BY user_id ORDER BY pts DESC
LIMIT 20;

Hard, as in "too difficult", no. Hard, as in "too time-consuming", yes.

I'm already juggling development time slots around to stay on track with the different projects we have going on. That includes HWBOT dev, OC-ESPORTS dev, XTU maintenance, HWBOT Prime dev, the online/live competitions, World Tour, and so on. Specifically related to the HWBOT points we have a 7-month old idea for Teams League coming from the community and the competition points to resolve first. And that doesn't include the things we have on roadmap to keep OC moving forward in 2016 and beyond. There's a reason why we're looking for (and may have found) extra developers.

I don't want to tell you "we can do it", when realistically speaking I don't see a chance to get around this anytime soon. There's no point in making promises I know we can't live up to. I understand that this something you'd really like to see, and I understand if you disagree with the choices we make.

• Crew
I'm sorry to hear you are disappointed with our efforts.

Im not disappointed of your efforts, its quite the opposite! I expected nothing, not a single response but now we have 2 threads full with people showing interest and this led to a new competition series, not bad huh?

If anything, Im a little bit disappointed that _I_ cant properly explain you why such a ranking system could be great fun. (and I failed very hard, as it seems that nobody understood my first post at all) I still thinking main advantages would be:

-cheap parts

-_almost_ no binning requirement

-relies mostly on benchers skill

I just thought that this would be an interesting concept, it could be a tribute to the golden days of OC and maybe we even can involve people left the scene already some time ago to return. Maybe they just need a platform again to show their skills.

But I have to admit, I didnt thought it would be so hard to implement this. I totally understand that this have to wait till Devs have some room to breath.

As an alternative, wouldnt it be possible to create such HOF rankings like you did with the 5Ghz sp32m challenge?

So saying, creating a thread for i.e. Socket 462 and include Top20 for CPU-Z, SP1m, SP32m, Pifast, wp32, wp1024 and so on?