HWBOT Community Forums

How do I go about binning?

Somewhat new here, hi everyone.

Had a question, how do I go about binning?

I live near a Fry's electronics, do I just continuously buy, test, return until I get a good chip? Are there better ways of doing this?

CPU in question will be a 5820k.

(I know I can buy from silicon lottery, but I have limited funds, and the CPU I'd like from him costs to much for it to make sense for me when I could in theory do it at Fry's)

Either pick a MHz point and see which chip will do it at the lowest voltage, or fix the voltage and see what MHz a CPU will do :)

Sorry I may not have been clear, I meant what method do I do to get the chips.

I know the part about testing the chip, just not how to go about getting chips without losing lots of cash from returning them or selling the bad ones.

Oh! Sorry.

Either get good enough at OC to get a reputation that a local shop with large stock can make use of, be very good friends with someone who is connected to a large shop, or buy as many as you can, keep the best, sell the rest and repeat until you strike gold or run out of available cash.

Or:..... Reputation, connections or money.

Fry's and Amazon Prime, and might as well add Microcenter to the list. All three will give you cash back within a set time frame.

On microcenter's return policy it says it must be in "new condition" which means I couldn't open the box, right?

Also for amazon's return policy it says this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/sp.html?s=A2X611LEQI9ZC1&mp=&oid=&t=returns

• CPU / Memory / Refurbished Products

All OEM Processors, Memory, and refurbished computer products carry a 7 day refund policy.

• Non-Returnable Items

Due to manufacturer's policies, Skque Products cannot accept refunds or returns on All Software, Cell Phones, Game Titles, Retail Boxed Processors, Notebooks, Blank Media and Blank Cartridges, Camcorders, Printer Cartridges, Notebook Batteries, Liquid Cooling Products, Minolta, QMS, Cisco, IBM, Sony, Intel, Tektronix, NEC and Hewlett Packard products. Defective merchandise can be returned to the manufacturer directly.

Wouldn't that mean me buying a retail boxed 5820k, I can't return it?

Good news, I talked to an amazon rep and they said I can return it within 30 days.

It's weird that the rep told me one thing, and that their policy says another though. I guess only one way to find out.

yep 30 days, just dont be d-bag about it.

Like I bought 10 g3240s from them, I returned 5 and found a way to sell the other 5 instead of sending them all back to amazon.

Also between my wife and I, think we spend about 20k a year on amazon xD

Also I dont have a frys near by but I do know that even if you return something sealed they open it to check it, sent a shiver down my spine when I watched them do it :)

yep 30 days, just dont be d-bag about it.

Like I bought 10 g3240s from them, I returned 5 and found a way to sell the other 5 instead of sending them all back to amazon.

Also between my wife and I, think we spend about 20k a year on amazon xD

Also I dont have a frys near by but I do know that even if you return something sealed they open it to check it, sent a shiver down my spine when I watched them do it :)

Thanks! I'm loving the community around here so far, takes awhile for responses, but they're always good ones. :D

I can't justify the prices if I can bin them myself from amazon for free essentially, otherwise I'd do it.

As others have suggested above, do it in moderation, don't do it to the extent that you will be banned from buying from them again.

Sometimes it can be better to sell some CPUs if they are above average clockers as good 24/7 chips. People will pay the premium for good clockers, you just need to find your market.

As others have suggested above, do it in moderation, don't do it to the extent that you will be banned from buying from them again.

Sometimes it can be better to sell some CPUs if they are above average clockers as good 24/7 chips. People will pay the premium for good clockers, you just need to find your market.

I'll ask him if he can go cheaper on one of the 4.7 chips when he gets stock, I have a buildlog with 45,000 views and I think if I gave him a shout-out & mentioned him in the thread a few times as well as say he's a contributor with his banner & link to his website, he may cut me a deal.

Not sure though, as 45,000 views I guess isn't all that much.