HWBOT Community Forums

Cash prizes in E-SPORTS Gaming

Massman

If you really want to have all the stats, you must take all the events into account. For example, a CSGO championship might not only be about the main event but also all the qualifiers before that.

If someone wants all the stats he should reach either superdata or newzoo (demographics, prize pools' numbers, etc.) ;)

Edited by FireKillerGR

• Crew

How i read the data is : Total cash prizes awarded. Total number of player to be awarded something (at least gain a cash prizes). and competitions are total amount of competitions taken into the calculation. On the number of player I am not sure if this is distinct player or not ( for example tekken could have been twie the exact same person to win mmoney, while it would have double the number of player if NONE of the winners of the first competition did not win anything in second comp.

Found this on my Facebook feed, interesting stuff. Data comes from: http://esportsearnings.com/.

• World of Warcraft: 470K for 78 players in 17 tournaments
  • Tekken 7: 75K for 9 players in 2 tournaments

Wonder how they count the amount of players. Maybe they don't count the people who try to qualify for the tournaments?

attachment.php?attachmentid=3683&stc=1&d=1451531957

Interesting, I just wonder if all the OC eSports tournament prizes on 2015 were to be totaled, how much would it be? Is there any way to calculate it Pieter?

The only question is if we should add the value of prizes like hardware too.

While it may add some complications in calculating the prize, if it can be done I don't see why not, it's still a prize and sometimes we sell those prizes to buy our next-gen hardware :P (I always keep the SSD though, can't have enough of those hahah :D)

The problem is that there is no suspense except for a bunch of nerds interested in computers. You can sit back on your couch and casually watch football or gaming competitions, but overlocking ? Nah, forget about it.

LN2 already makes plenty of smoke and deltas make plenty of noise now we just need to add a light show and it'll be intresting to watch.

The problem is that there is no suspense except for a bunch of nerds interested in computers. You can sit back on your couch and casually watch football or gaming competitions, but overlocking ? Nah, forget about it.

A couple years back, people think that the only way to enjoy games are playing it on your own. And yet now we have trend of people watching other 'nerds' playing games :) Also, many years ago games isn't considered as an 'eSports' like it is right now.

Yes, the number of overclockers is really small, it's technical and sometimes difficult to explain to normal users. People nowadays wanted something easy and even they tend to have less 'motivation'to tinker with PCs (since using a PC is pretty mundane task for everybody right now).

But i'm thinking, if people can make a competition show about something mundane like cooking(like MasterChef), maybe if we put enough effort and consideration into it, we can make overclocking to be an exciting and informative shows ? No need to be a multi-million Dollar tournaments like DotA, but improving it an event at a time isn't a bad idea, right? :D

I think we have to try. We may speculate as much as we want but without actually testing stuff it's impossible to know if the general public will like it or not. :P

I, too, would love to see overclocking become more popular amongst mortals but it seems like a long (and painful ?) process.

It is obviously not that boring or the group of us that keep grinding it out day after day wouldn't keep at it. There is something interesting about watching other people do it there are just stretches of non-activity. That is why if there was a competition server with real time monitoring of what say 10 or 20 or 100 guys are currently doing, progress on a benchmark, current high score, current speeds, current temps, etc, etc, and you could flip between any number of contestants or a leaderboard showing real time stats it could be very interesting.

Watching the Hicookie Gigabyte stream was somewhat painful, mostly because no one has devised a system that outputs directly to the videostream. You are relying on the guys telling you what is going on, that is fairly boring. It would also mean that you wouldn't have to travel to a venue to have high level competitions, even cash competitions, since you are always attached directly to a competition server you could even eliminate the questions of how 'reliable' a submitted score is.

That is something that I think people would be interested in watching. But first you would have to figure out how to keep the spectators updated, that is the crucial key. Once you get to the point where a spectator can see what the overclocker is seeing while sitting at home, thats when you will see rumblings of overclocking becoming an eSport.