HWBOT Community Forums

Challenger 2016 Div I Round 1 Discussion

websmile

• Administrators

Start post, questions and updates will be pinned here

Use of different cpus (eg 4790k stage 2, 4930K stage 3 and so on) is allowed as long as all match the i7 criteria and the listed hardware at rules

Edited by websmile

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

We discuss this, personally I would prefer this stage divided by cores and cinebench full out not divided, this would level things between 2011 and other platforms. Will keep you updated, but you can bench anyway until this is decided, Franco :D

The Stage XTU ans tha stage cinebench, is wrong because all those who are equipped with i7 - 4 cores have no chance against the i7 2011 and 2011v3.

but it is division 1, the absolute highest division there is so I don't see why 5960x should be handicapped. For some reason whenever we divide by cores the 5960x can't compete because I guess the scaling goes down after a certain amount of cores. The scaling really isn't right so it's unfair to divide by cores.

it's not like a 5960x automatically scores double compared to 4790k so when you divide by twice as many cores it's not fair really.

They also chose 32m and they chose catzilla which you can still get a great score with a 4core. And they also chose heaven which actually prefers z170 over x99.

I mean we are talking about division 1.

If we do divide by amount of cores we need to give the higher core cpus some sort of a modifier to make it fair.

Why make a 5960x uncompetitive in division 1.

Therefore limited only to the Division 1 i7 quad core.

And the problem will be resolved.

Because I do not think the only one to think that for the XTU course, the i7 quad core, have no opportunity to pass, socket face 2011-2011v3.

Ditto for Cinebench R15.

On the other challange, it was not divide the number of cores, so why not this channlange there?

Because I do not think the only one to think that for the XTU course, the i7 quad core, have no opportunity to pass, socket face 2011-2011v3.

Ditto for Cinebench R15.

On the other challange, it was not divide the number of cores, so why not this channlange there?

I'm all for cheaper cpu's and I have a bunch but I have had this 5960x for awhile now and every contest divides by amount of cpu cores and totally takes the 5960x out of contention.

Just like you said all the past comps have done it by core so maybe one time it would be nice for a change to go all out. Also it wasn't in the rules at the beginning otherwise I probably would have chose different cpu.

Also there are 3 other stages where the 4 core cpus have an advantage or are close to equal, so I think it's kind of interesting

next time maybe they should do 4 divisions.

Div I - extreme cpus

Div II - i7 quad core

Div III - i5

Div IV - i3

Edited by Strong Island

Ditto for Cinebench R15.

I completely understand what your saying, the only real problem I have is that it wasn't in the rules from the beginning, I spent a whole night benching based on the rules I read before I started. And if we do add a per core score then we need to address the scaling issue after 2 cores because everyone knows that cpus don't scale perfectly per core, so dividing the score per core isn't really that fair.

No restriction on this, you can use different i7 cpus for different stages

This is exactly why I agree with SI's idea of having 4 Intel stages, I would bet big money that the winner is someone who has an 8 core and 4 core i7. So it's as much about spending money as it is skill because anyone with only K sku cpu's has zero chance of winning, and this is a well known fact. Div. 1 is not for Pro or Elite only and for the average serious overclocker finding a good clocking K sku i7 with a strong imc is already daunting enough, and now we gotta go spend $1500+ to even be in the conversation. Another thing as well is last year you could compete without having to buy a $700 gpu especially in Div. 2 & 3, now you have to buy a 980ti to win the Pentium/i3 or core i5 classes. Not a good way to attract newcomers, I thought that was a big part of this years mission or is that only for the World Tour?

The rules are the rules. The comp has started and now the rules might change? Seriously? wtf.

Cool, who do I apply to to get the cost of hardware for the comp refunded....

I don't think they are going to change, like you said the comp started almost a week ago. I just think they need to think about what they are doing a bit more, to me it seems like this was thrown together last second simply to make the deadline. I don't think they should change it right now as rule changes shouldn't be made during an active event

• Administrators

This is the ferrari division, you can discuss about it for sure. But we have seven divisions which is the limit of our capacities atm, we also have to integrate amd, retro, and mobile because people want it, so three new-gen intel divsions have to do it. If you want to play it cheaper, there are enough alternatives for sure :)

This is exactly why I agree with SI's idea of having 4 Intel stages, I would bet big money that the winner is someone who has an 8 core and 4 core i7. So it's as much about spending money as it is skill because anyone with only K sku cpu's has zero chance of winning, and this is a well known fact. Div. 1 is not for Pro or Elite only and for the average serious overclocker finding a good clocking K sku i7 with a strong imc is already daunting enough, and now we gotta go spend $1500+ to even be in the conversation. Another thing as well is last year you could compete without having to buy a $700 gpu especially in Div. 2 & 3, now you have to buy a 980ti to win the Pentium/i3 or core i5 classes. Not a good way to attract newcomers, I thought that was a big part of this years mission or is that only for the World Tour?

I do agree with the i3 and i5 stages allowing any gpu, because of course there will be people submitting with 980 ti in those stages.

We almost need like a gentlemens agreement and nobody should submit 980 ti in those stages, haha.

But I think for right now the staff has done a great job and there are a ton of comps going on for all different types of hardware, plus they limit xtu stage to 4ghz which helps non-ln2 people. They have tweakers challenges going on and old school, so I think things are moving in a cool direction.

The more I think about it oc esports does seem like the future. because once the points are part of our ranking they can make any piece of hardware viable and worth points. Just like the tweakers challenge or they can make a cheap gpu challenge and since it's worth points it makes that cheap hardware worth something. it's cool. They could do a 970 challenge and then all of the sudden 970's are worth benching.

I just don't think it's fair to change any rules once a comp has started. I would be saying that even if I didn't bench already. I spent a lot of money on my scores based on the starting rules.