HWBOT Community Forums

Skylake IHS Spacer

der8auer

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since we are talking about this,has anyone got any opinion how a silver IHS would perform? given that it has 10% higher conductivity than copper i think it could be an alternative to copper? Don't know the costs,but does it matter when we talk about overclocking? :D

Thx guys!!

With little gimmick.:D:P

imagetrkr5.jpeg

Would be interesting to take this and expand on it, instead of a just the IHS, make it into the base of a 2 piece pot, which would reduce 1 copper to TIM contact point. The retention bracket would be the next problem I guess. :P

Edited by Gunslinger

Thx guys!!

With little gimmick.:D:P

imagetrkr5.jpeg

Awesome idea, I'm interested in how heat transfer capabilities are like compared to the stock IHS. Waiting for results :)

Tip: next time don't use comic sans font, Its horrible :P

Edited by TX_OC

Naked die works with AIO CooerMaster Nepton which has big base. Don't see why it would be different for LN2 pot.

No retention bracket of course.

PS: On a second look you might be right though. I was getting good contact, but have overlooked this fact. The die is very thin.

I guess you have measured it.

PS2: I think it is just enough. At least on the OCF. The die is a little above corners of socket, but almost the same height. Will even act like a stopper to prevent excessive clamping force. Not sure it will be enough though. Had that idea to try it, but still haven't.

Edited by I.nfraR.ed

Plate only wont work. You have to cut the edges of the socket because the edges are higher than the die.

Hi guys

i'm using this method but strangly those edges were not a problem at all [maximus viii gene],

i'm just using some thick Tape,they fix cpu on socket and also help the die to handle pot pressure,thats a messy method but works fine in short times.

pot directly on die[gelid between them] = cinebench 6200 and xtu 6140mhz and it was good for a chip that can not pass cinebench more than 5900 and 5800 xtu with "pot on ihs" method

i had not grizzly and i was using a [maybe] rotten Gelid , but i used the same thermal paste for those bench sessions.