HWBOT Community Forums

Do we really...

Maxi

Oh rly? So we can have crap PWM, and be stuck in BIOS always....as long as we mimic GBT's non-useless features layout. Great power delivery and overclocking features are the things that define a good overclocking board, not whether they left off a couple ports and had an internal struggle trying to figure out if they could get away with it.

I don't understand this comment. What I'm basically saying is that it's not because you add certain features related to overclocking that you suddenly have build an overclocker's mainboard. The things I have summed up are characteristics of an overclocker's board, but it's not because you have them that the product suddenly becomes something different.

It's not because I buy a rally bodykit for my car that I suddenly have a rally-car.

Rampage Extreme is part of the ROG-line. Republic of Gamers. Can this be any more clear?

Gigabyte employees have admitted they kept certain features so the board appealed to a wider market, so to be devils advocate,

X58A-OC - useless features = OC board?

There's a distinct difference between having to make compromises on audio-jacks and USB3 connectors to convince the sales department so you can get upper-management to approve production and building a mainboard targetted at gamers/all-in-one desktop systems, throwing in some overclocking related features and calling it a true overclocker's mainboard.

Anyway, I'm not really GIGABYTE's advocate here. When are these boards finally hitting retail FFS!!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rampage Extreme is part of the ROG-line. Republic of Gamers. Can this be any more clear?

I class it as marketing.... it's a bigger demographic. IMHO, gamers don't need the robust feature set of the ROG line to have stable, durable boards (and GPUs) The name doesn't have to mean anything... same as "worlds first OC board" it's just to grab attention. Maybe Asus called it a gaming board to make it easier to get a Green light from management? :)

When are these boards finally hitting retail FFS!!

This! :D :D

I wouldn't call it "the first OC board" if it didn't have some features that would blow the competition away. I mean... it sounds weird when a dedicated OC board is on par with a board designed for gamers, right? The price tag is nice, and it does it's job in a very nice way, and that's why it'll be an attractive board for overclockers - not because it's groundbreaking OC wise.

strange arguments all round, so you guys would prefer to stick to the $500 boards even though $200 of that you dont need, OK i guess it makes sense to make more money for the manufacturer, why waste time doing this then :D

i can see a future in gaming boards because of the extra profit a manufacturer makes and there is very little resistance even from overclocking community, fair enough :confused:

the title doesnt matter, its who makes it and what's under the hood and how much you're paying for it that does imo, but sure shoot it down let's keep the $500+ "OC" boards instead :rolleyes:

Dinos, this is what happens when speculation and hype are not matched by a final product that people can test and make real-world conclusions about themselves.

I guess, to quote Shamino.... "Not saying, but showing"

strange arguments all round, so you guys would prefer to stick to the $500 boards even though $200 of that you dont need, OK i guess it makes sense to make more money for the manufacturer, why waste time doing this then :D

i can see a future in gaming boards because of the extra profit a manufacturer makes and there is very little resistance even from overclocking community, fair enough :confused:

the title doesnt matter, its who makes it and what's under the hood and how much you're paying for it that does imo, but sure shoot it down let's keep the $500+ "OC" boards instead :rolleyes:

Right (!), I don't get it either man??? Why bash a awesome board, that is going to be decently priced and deliver what everyone who reads about it is expecting, and instead want to buy a board that cost $200+ more that has multiple features that will be disabled anyway when used by a majority of overclockers.

I see it like this, following much of the analogies in this thread:

Regular Board = Features for everyone, nothing fancy for either (Gamer/OC'r) - Cost Average

Gamer Board = Features "We" don't need/want and will disable - Cost Above Average to High

OC Board = Awesome OC setup (IE no junk we'll disable anyway), and some features for everyone+ High quality components better than above mentioned boards that are designed and chosen to delivery high OC's - Cost Average (Below "Gamer" and about the same as many Regular boards)

Edited by Lsdmeasap

Dinos, this is what happens when speculation and hype are not matched by a final product that people can test and make real-world conclusions about themselves.

yeah that is true, there was an unfortunate delay and it's a shame but its coming out soon so anyways it is what it is

Not bashing the board at all, it looks good, and you for sure won't see me complaining about the price. It's actually a very cool move of GBT to try and make a down to business board without all the fluff, a board that people might buzz about. That's something GBT has never done, and it would be cool to see them do it.

But first OC board? What does that say about the work Shamino did with Foxconn or EVGA? Garrett Wu with DFI and MSI? Or any of the many engineers behind such epic boards as the rampage extreme or even the ancient NF7-S? Now we have massman saying overclockers are not gamers, and that no one else ever made an OC board, the spin is getting too much to take :P

i hear ya but it is the first time a manufacturer has put out a dedicated OC board and stated the main market it is made for are extreme overclockers, it wasnt dressed up into this or that etc etc, just exactly what it is and who it's for

it would have sounded better if it was called a dedicated board but hey strictly speaking as an enthusiast and overclocker who gives a fuck as long as it OCs well and doesnt cost a shitload

i hear ya but it is the first time a manufacturer has put out a dedicated OC board and stated the main market it is made for are extreme overclockers, it wasnt dressed up into this or that etc etc, just exactly what it is and who it's for

it would have sounded better if it was called a dedicated board but hey strictly speaking as an enthusiast and overclocker who gives a fuck as long as it OCs well and doesnt cost a shitload

Quote for that. :)

And for the old motherboards, I want to remember that DFI mobos were named "lanparty", with a super-uber audio Karajan something on an external pcb, a BIG bundle with the bag with which one gamer could bring along his PC to reach gaming events etc...

The fact that those mobos were ALSO used by us is an addiction... but we were paying at least a 20/30% more for things that we never ever used.

So, chapeau to gigabyte and I agree with what Pieter is saying: this is the first OC board (they can improve it, ok, but it's a good start!) because it's built with our needs in mind. So we can buy a mobo that overclocks like a enthusiast gamers mobo (like the REX3), by paying less. :)

but hey strictly speaking as an enthusiast and overclocker who gives a fuck as long as it OCs well and doesnt cost a shitload

That's exactly my point. We have this section on the forums because according to some, no one ever made a board for overclockers which is a complete joke.

How bout the CUSL2-C? No video, no sound, OC features. World's First?!

Oh, awesome! Good catch!

There was the Abit mainboard too, this one as well. I think Foxconn did it +/_ with only 3x DIMM on their X58 board, but then had too much other features on board.

This OC board is definitly not the first 'overclocking mainboard'. I suppose it's pretty much the first modern dedicated OC board. Anyways, what's up with arguing over something what MARKETING said? If we believe everything marketing says, we should be most happy about the Super-Speed USB3 connector on the board :D