HWBOT Community Forums

PCMark05 Tweaking Thread

Christian Ney

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oke so i hope this isnt 2 arrogant of me , i put together a movie of the pcmark05 tweaks , its beta ( major beta ) in progress . so please feel free to be as much of a critic as possible .. let me know what you guys think and please let me know of any ideas , if you guys allow me to do this i wont let yall down haha :)

• Crew

LOD give about nothing for Physics and 3D. But it will cripple 3D pixel shader performance. Are you aware of this? Nice video except the noisy music and only a few tweaks shown. Better make several parts with 2-3 subtests in each one.

LOD give about nothing for Physics and 3D. But it will cripple 3D pixel shader performance. Are you aware of this? Nice video except the noisy music and only a few tweaks shown. Better make several parts with 2-3 subtests in each one.

If LOD is hurting your Pixel shader test; you're doing it wrong. :D I've improved that particular test scores from about 700 points (955BE @ 3.8GHz + HD5670 @ stock clocks) to about 1020 points (same clocks on CPU and GPU) just by adjusting LOD until I found the sweetspot for my particular card.

• Crew

xXSebaSXx, did you see the video that Tweak-venetica provided? I was talking about his suggestion. That doing so we get pixel performance crippled compared to the sweet point.

I've got a shift from 9xx to 1400 on 8800GTS 512. :D so I do know how to do this.

I'm with you... I guess what TW should have put on his video was that each card, regardless of brand, will have a different sweet spot... It may have been LOD 20 for him (on his HW) but it will be a different number for each person since we're all working with different HW. :D

I'm with you... I guess what TW should have put on his video was that each card, regardless of brand, will have a different sweet spot... It may have been LOD 20 for him (on his HW) but it will be a different number for each person since we're all working with different HW. :D

If anybody doesn't know that about LoD already, then they probably aren't ready to run pcm05 competitively. ;)

All these crazy scores are impressive, but it's only a 2-3 person game right now and one person is just playing with the rest of them. I'm honestly not even shocked when i see the big numbers because i know he's holding back. Unfortunately I don't know how to even begging trying to find out these tweaks. I try to decrypt the little hints here and there, look over the web to see if i can find anything to head me in the right direction, but the registry is written in hieroglyphics.

All these crazy scores are impressive, but it's only a 2-3 person game right now and one person is just playing with the rest of them. I'm honestly not even shocked when i see the big numbers because i know he's holding back. Unfortunately I don't know how to even begging trying to find out these tweaks. I try to decrypt the little hints here and there, look over the web to see if i can find anything to head me in the right direction, but the registry is written in hieroglyphics.

Agreed... I don't mind that it is a three or four people game right now. I see it as a challenge. :D The one thing that frustrates me to no end is that I just can't seem to get that "bingo" moment when messing with the registry/dwm/gdiplus etc... I've borked the OS so many times testing things out that I've gotten a bit burned out of this whole "tweak search". :D Just gotta take a break and come back at it with a fresh eye/mind.

As for the obscure hints, etc... The well known tweaks are very well documented by now... It's those newer ones (80K+ TW ~ 300+ RAM Latency ~ 30K+ Audio encoding ~ 10K+ Text edit) those are still being kept quite secret by the handful of people that have found/shared them among themselves.

Let me clarify... I'm not asking for anyone to reveal/give me their tweaks... I'd rather spend a month or three looking for them and figure them out myself than just getting a set of instructions on how to achieve them.

The frustrating part, on my end, at least is the fact that I seem to have reached a point where I'm getting some sort of "tweaker's block" and can't think of which way to go with my research... That's the reason I'm putting PCM05 on hold for a while, so I can come back to it with a fresh mind and outlook...

Now; I'm not going to stop you from helping all of us out, but if it were up to me... I'd rather get them from my own blood/sweat/tears than have them handed to me. :D

Special thanks to Christian! So I will provide a fastest way to reach 60K Windows.

1. 2D Windows Test is a GDI or Direct 2D performance Test. Small Windows + Black Color + Invisible = Faster.

2. The better way is a registry tweak which I am using. My best score is 100K but sometimes out of focus and benchmark aborted.

3. The fastest way is download a program called "Flash Desktop 2" , run setup.

attachment.php?attachmentid=1259&d=1337331193

Edited by Christian Ney

Creation of new windows rule.

Process name -> PCMark05.exe

Select Caption exact match -> PCMark05

When to try -> At Creation

Stop conditions -> Try only once

Match styles and extended styles -> off

attachment.php?attachmentid=1261&d=1337331699

Edited by Christian Ney

Set style modifications

Stand style add = 0x40000000

Standard style remove = 0x800000

Extended style add = 0x20

Extended style remove = 0x10000

This is LOD Windows Setting, No Boarder and make Windows Transparent and remove the Menu.

You can try different setting, but make sure your 2D Windows moving tweak is on,

Areotuner will make this tweak higher.

attachment.php?attachmentid=1263&d=1337332018

Edited by Christian Ney