HWBOT Community Forums

gulftown ES vs Retail

diezel

Let's turn benching in "We go to Asus's HQ, test 20 Q3FE's find the best one and publish various scores with it".

Soon some people will be running 980X ESs @ 6.5GHz Vantage and the ones with or without money will be forced to running Vantage at... 5.6 or 5.8GHz at best...

Guess we can tell people to go buy 50 illegal ES's from ebay if they want to have a chance at competing...

No, I paid a lot of money for these es cpus.:)

• Like 1

Their longevity at those voltages is doubtable for sure.

The retail ones though die harder ( some refuse to die too :D ) but it doesn't really matter because no matter how much voltage you punch through them they don't clock anywhere near the average Q3FE & Q3QP ES do.

On the other hand, you have a warranty and that makes a big difference, especially for the people who are... well... not rich.

Only a selected few can splash out 5k$ just to buy 5 CPUs and have some fun with them and don't give a f* when they die.

Getting them for free makes this even harder for the ones on the outside ( being on the outside doesn't mean that you're not worth of being inside, you just need to get there, nobody started at the very top level and had the right connections from day 1 ).

Sorry, I didn't see anyone mentioning your name Andre.

What you said is partially true though.

You have or had results posted with a processor that you didn't pay for yourself or belonged to you.

I totally understood what you mean, BZ. I just want to point a lot of people paid a lot of money for nice hw to get top results. They don't really care the hw are es or retail.

You know how much I spend for retail to beat these ES. Why should I change my mind now? Because no one cares about that and no one wants to help me to piss es off before. OK, I gave up retail and start to bench ES because you guys don't care about anything before. Why did you guys complain about es now? Is it fair for me before?

Andre

• Like 1

+1 on what Andre said,

Why all of a sudden has it become a big deal for us to use ES CPUs?

If the ES's were crap no one would care and in the next while when there is a new revision maybe retail will be better than ES we just dont know and until a chip stepping comes out that will beat A0 we are gonna have people crying over it then all of a sudden when that happens "sure ES 980Xs can be in the rankings cause we ca beat them and it gets us more boints"

Myles

The same can be said about the Core 2 Extreme X6800 and their ES's, the retails were better, only difference being it wasn't illegal or that much of a risk to buy a perfectly legal and backed by a warranty chip :P

What's unique in this case is... the gap that separates the retail and the ES processors this time.

With the 670 ES & retails ( where the ESs are once again better ) the difference isn't that big, yet if you want a top spot you need an ES again.

But the gap between the 980X retail and 980X ESs is abysmal.

We're talking about several hundreds of MHz.

Pi 1M ? 6745MHz vs 6153MHz

Pi 32M ? 6587MHz vs 6091MHz

3D Mark06 ? 6358MHz vs 6089MHz

3D Mark Vantage ? 6090MHz vs 5700ish MHz

AquaMark 3 ? 6485MHz vs 6161MHz

The same can be said about the Core 2 Extreme X6800 and their ES's, the retails were better, only difference being it wasn't illegal or that much of a risk to buy a perfectly legal and backed by a warranty chip :P

What's unique in this case is... the gap that separates the retail and the ES processors this time.

With the 670 ES & retails ( where the ESs are once again better ) the difference isn't that big, yet if you want a top spot you need an ES again.

No, because I don't want to spend stupid money to hand pick retail again.:) If I did it again, you guys are gone again. Right?:) I just feel very unfair what you guys don't do the same thing before, but do it right now because you guys cannot match these es cpus score.

I don't know about the rest ( and I'm fine with ESs being allowed as long as the retails can hit similar frequencies ) but I'm fine with people handpicking processors.

Did you remember so many people piss 975 ES off before until someone show us godly retail 975? Then everyone just shut up after that. Why not you guys just wait some nice batch retail are coming out? I believe they will come as soon as possible. Hiwa and gio already showed me close 6G vantage retail 980X. It really wastes time to discuss this here.

Not that I deny that there is a difference, but some of these numbers aren't 100% correct, as it's pretty obvious that for instance the 6090MHz 06 capable retail can do alot more in at least 1m and 32m than 6150Mhz. The gap is in general 300MHz, I think - based on the numbers above.

I certainly hope to see some good batches or a better revision on the shelves, but I can't see that happening soon.

Unless the shops start to throw 980X's to the garbage bins, for the time being I can only find 3003B chips.

http://forum.nexthardware.com/overclocking-e-cpu/67310-retail-x-980-vantage-a-quota-6-giga.html

It's not bad. Right?:)

2 CPUs, one of them being Stummie's and the other one being... well... you know tsan and his luck isn't exactly what I'd call picking up, not even close yet.

If anybody else finds a retail as good as tsan's seems to be, I'll be surprised.

1 of 100 Q3FEs for 6.5G 3D. Is it lucky?:)