HWBOT Community Forums

gulftown ES vs Retail

diezel

I think we all can ask, when did everything go wrong?

Everything started to really go wrong with Clarkdale ES just being retarded vs. retail. Then it continued and I would argue worse with Gulftown since they cost $1000 a piece. Then GTX480 and the stupid cold slow bug which there is a fix for, but only a handful of benchers got the mod.

Or we could back up a little further and say that a large problem is the people that have a large influence or say-so in the rules around here have something to loose by changing anything. I got 1-2 people on my team right now that have a better than good chance of taking down 03 and possibly single socket vantage, but the stupid cold slow bug is preventing this. Pretty much garbage if you ask me that this mod is so damn private.

I think sponsorship discussions are to be kept out of this topic...

If they'll be limited to retail - sponsored guys will have the most/best retail hardware

If ES are allowed - sponsored guys will have the best/most hardware to bin whatever it is - retail or ES.

Period

If we're discussing ES vs retail only taking into account Gulftown chips, I foresaw this problem long before GT has hit retail even (ask Massman :P)

Anyone who has tested at least five CPUs of each stepping (including me) will confirm that on average A0 do indeed clock better than B0/B1.

The only question to be answered - are ES to be allowed for ranks?

All depends on who we (overclockers) want to listen most to

a) Intel, who are saying that ES are illegal to own (so you're submitting scores with hardware you don't own, etc)

b) "some guys/companies" who have improved their ranks/ratings by using ES chips

• Thanks 1

I think sponsorship discussions are to be kept out of this topic...

If they'll be limited to retail - sponsored guys will have the most/best retail hardware

If ES are allowed - sponsored guys will have the best/most hardware to bin whatever it is - retail or ES.

Period

If we're discussing ES vs retail only taking into account Gulftown chips, I foresaw this problem long before GT has hit retail even (ask Massman :P)

Anyone who has tested at least five CPUs of each stepping (including me) will confirm that on average A0 do indeed clock better than B0/B1.

The only question to be answered - are ES to be allowed for ranks?

All depends on who we (overclockers) want to listen most to

a) Intel, who are saying that ES are illegal to own (so you're submitting scores with hardware you don't own, etc)

b) "some guys/companies" who have improved their ranks/ratings by using ES chips

Who is griping about sponsered clockers here?

Everything started to really go wrong with Clarkdale ES just being retarded vs. retail.

You are talking only few months back in time..

This evolution have been going on few years now. Slowly in to this direction we are heading now.

I feel sorry about most of the stuff which is happening lately. Year 2009 was full of S**t and this will be worse.

You are talking only few months back in time..

This evolution have been going on few years now. Slowly in to this direction we are heading now.

I feel sorry about most of the stuff which is happening lately. Year 2009 was full of S**t and this will be worse.

Ya I know there is a long history that lead up to this, but I think clarkdale, Gulftown, and finally Fermi has brought people to their boiling point. I could probably type for an hour on what I think the problems in the community are, but I don't have the time to type it, nor the patience for the same old people to come in and make excuses for what I say, and why I'm wrong.

SF3D, I haven't been in this game for very long, but in the short time you are a respectful person so me quoting you didn't mean I was accusing you of any wrong doing.

I will be the "bad" guy once again!.... :D

SF3D how do you feel while you loose places from top 20 from Hiwa while he's benching at Computex with NickShih's rig?.....Do you feel happy?..... :D:P

Everyone's benching with another's rig and uploading resaults lately I see.... :P

i have 3 chips george

please check XS and my date threads

6500-60k 3DMARK05 done before computex with my personal chip

3dmark06 single are from my retail chip maybe one month ago

we are benching everyday with defferent hardware,i bought a 480 here

and someone gave me 1 for sample and modded them.

btw i never used nick's rig here.

i was in top5 before computex my friend.

Have a nice

Edited by Hiwa

i have 3 chips george

please check XS and my date threads

6500-60k 3DMARK05 done before computex with my personal chip

3dmark06 single are from my retail chip maybe one month ago

we are benching everyday with defferent hardware,i bought a 480 here

and someone gave me 1 for sample and modded them.

btw i never used nick's rig here.

i was in top5 before computex my friend.

Have a nice

SR-2 with 2 x Xeons for Vantage is your's?..... :P:D

Edited by hipro5

thought I would chime in, I had to buy an a0 of fleabay to compete in spi 32m and 1m categories. Unfortunately for me it wasnt that great of a chip 6.15ghz spi32m 6.33gh 1m as far as a0 are concerned. The feel of the a0 vs my retail is like night and day though. Retails seem to struggle with pi for some reason? Anyways I dont suggest buying ES chips especially when they are 1.2k.

This being said I think they should be worth no points or WR's as they are not readily available to joe overclocker making them a white rabbit for the layman to chase. Its unfair, and by intel standards illegal.

• Crew

No swearing nor cursing George, only Benchzowner got a waver for that :P

Hardware overclocking has never been fair has it... some get samples straight from the manufacturer (don't need to pay for them), some get access to dozens of CPU, motherboards to preselect or bin, some find the golden sample straigth in a shop while you are already on eg ya 5th 980X... while others get cherry picked ones from Intel or AMD...

Whatever you want to do by implementing rules or such, somebody will always have a backdoor open to get access to something new or better... it's human nature sadly...

Take eg the slow mod for the GTX480, who's been sharing that publicly ? Don't you find that sad ? I really do...

I never got that magic E8600 batch before , now I have one via tweakers.net and now it's my board that is FSB limited :nana:

Life goes on

Edited by Leeghoofd

• Crew
Life goes on

You're right on this...:)

There is more then OCing...

But it's getting more and more diaspointing for me atm...

Even if I don't get answers on my mails, don't talk about ocers here...

Just from ES-rules itself, ES belongs to manufacturer, they should not be ranked. It's not only since GT, it's long time ago that...

Only problem I see to proof it, CPU-Z shows ES, GPU-Z doesn't...

@Petri: for you it was 2009, for me it's 2010...;)

Well... the mod stuff is quite fair. Some guy thought of something clever that worked. It's a fair game, everyone can figure it out if they have the knowledge.

Which mod are you referring to ?

Because all the GTX 480 mods were handed out by nVIDIA in a guide :P

I agree for self-discovered mods though, it's a personal matter if the person wants to share the mod he found or not.

Seems that if someone could prohibit the ESs, this "nuclear war" would have come to an end ...

As for the vgas retail cards are stronger than ESs or not ?

Hardware sharing is something that cannot be detected .

If someone uses another guy's rig you cannot prove it, right ?

You guys realize that the string 'ES' can be easily removed from the CPU-Z application if you change the microcode in the bios, right? If manufacturers can't, then Intel can for sure ... and the modification will also be shared with the mainboard manufacturers who want their boards to shine.

You guys realize that the string 'ES' can be easily removed from the CPU-Z application if you change the microcode in the bios, right? If manufacturers can't, then Intel can for sure ... and the modification will also be shared with the mainboard manufacturers who want their boards to shine.

It can be done, but:

1. You can detect an E.S. from a thousand miles away.

You can't believe somebody with a 6.6GHz Pi1m retail 980X can you ?

All the retails STRUGGLE with pi1m.

2.Not everybody knows how to do that.

CPU-Z relies on microcode as well. Change that and you're set.

Also, smart cheaters will run their ES just a tad higher than retail to make it look legit. So, detecting ES based on the CPU frequency will not work. Also, then we absolutely remove the possibility that someone just got lucky. Imagine findings a 1k $ golden chip that can do 200MHz more than the rest ... we'd have to remove it because it looks like ES. This has been a problem in the very recent past, you know ...