HWBOT Community Forums

Old School is Best School Season 2 Round 1

max1024

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just want to make sure everyone is on the same page. We are relaxing the rule for GPUz in the screenshot? It looks like Win98 is the way to go for Stage 1 but don't want to move to that OS if the GPUz requirement is going to be enforced. Mods?

Current GPUz doesn't identify properly. According to general rules you can use Rivatuner or another program as a substitute. Should be a non-issue Tony. :)

• Crew
I just want to make sure everyone is on the same page. We are relaxing the rule for GPUz in the screenshot? It looks like Win98 is the way to go for Stage 1 but don't want to move to that OS if the GPUz requirement is going to be enforced. Mods?

http://forum.hwbot.org/showthread.php?t=148761

Its not wrong to use rivatuner but it would be useful to have aida/everest or some other app.

I'm fighting with 98 for more than one day, but can't get better score than on XP.

44.03 does not work for me, getting grey screen only when launching first test.

3DMark just shuts down for me when I press "Benchmark". I have no idea why, I've benchmarked 99 in Win98 before and it worked fine...

I cured this problem by "re-installing" directx. I had the same problem as you.

Tried multiple times to install a clean 98SE, but always the same - 3DMark just closes and if I try to run it again it says that I need a VGA which supports DX6.1 or newer.

Then I need a reboot.

I can't use drivers newer than 44.03 or so. Everything I get after restart is black screen with blinking cursor.

With 44.03 and some other 4x.xx drivers I get grey screen in first test. Had the same on Win2000 with 44.03.

With older drivers like 3x.xx performance is bad.

Don't really know how you guys do it :D

Edited by I.nfraR.ed

Tried multiple times to install a clean 98SE, but always the same - 3DMark just closes and if I try to run it again it says that I need a VGA which supports DX6.1 or newer.

Then I need a reboot.

I can't use drivers newer than 44.03 or so. Everything I get after restart is black screen with blinking cursor.

With 44.03 and some other 4x.xx drivers I get grey screen in first test. Had the same on Win2000 with 44.03.

Reinstalling dx worked, thanks!

Then I need a reboot.

you managed to solve this? I get the exactly same problem that 44.03 just gives a gray screen in 3dmark99 and really really bad score?

Ill give up this round soon, my tnt2 ultra works flawless with all motherboards Ive tested it in except my k7 pro where it crashes in artifakts as soon as it get 3d load (worked the first 5-10 rounds or so in 3dmark99) at the same time that other cards Ive tested (two different gf2) works perfect in the k7 pro aswell, just makes no sense to me.

Reinstalled OS, different directX and drivers, nothing helps with the tnt2 card.

Ill give up this round soon, my tnt2 ultra works flawless with all motherboards Ive tested it in except my k7 pro where it crashes in artifakts as soon as it get 3d load (worked the first 5-10 rounds or so in 3dmark99) at the same time that other cards Ive tested (two different gf2) works perfect in the k7 pro aswell, just makes no sense to me.

Reinstalled OS, different directX and drivers, nothing helps with the tnt2 card.

My k7pro agp does not work properly with high cpu core voltage, tnt2 ultra runs 3dmark99 limited 1.8v, 1.85v stop on the game1(race), 1.9v can't boot windows, 1.95v can't boot bios.

My k7pro agp does not work properly with high cpu core voltage, tnt2 ultra runs 3dmark99 limited 1.8v, 1.85v stop on the game1(race), 1.9v can't boot windows, 1.95v can't boot bios.

That kind of makes sense, the tnt2 ultra worked good until i started OC the CPU and increased the vcore to 1.85V. It does not work on stock (1.8V) even now tho.

Wierd thing is that the GF2 card works well at 1.85V all the time tho and the tnt2 works good in other motherboards.

Have you tested to change caps on it as they are like 20 years old by now?

My EPOX board looks to have died, no idea how, was working, changed GPU, not working. Literally 20 seconds between hitting power switch on to off and won't work no matter what I've tried. Perhaps its just old, and needs a rest, will give it a try later this weekend. Good luck guys!