HWBOT Community Forums

Old School is Best School Season 2 Round 1

max1024

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A small edit here in the highlighted text.

http://oc-esports.io/#!/round/osibs_s2r1

In the first round of the Old School is Best School competition series, we compete in 3DMark99 and PCMark04. In the first stage, 3DMar03, the hardware is limited to Nvidia Riva graphics cards and Slot A processors. In the second stage, PCMark04, the hardware is limited to Slot A rocessors. For both stages a verification screenshot and system picture are required. Good luck!

What's the code issue?

I'll send an email to our partners to see if anyone's interested in putting up some prizes. Can't promise anything though ... Riva TNT and PCMark04 isn't particularly sexy these days :D

Dont get me wrong but I got really excited when I finaly found a tnt2 Ultra in a bundle with other useless GPUs yesterday! Hope the price stays realistic :D

What's the code issue?

I'll send an email to our partners to see if anyone's interested in putting up some prizes. Can't promise anything though ... Riva TNT and PCMark04 isn't particularly sexy these days :D

Something like ... " Hey XXX company , look , your 1998 hardware came 1st , and still kick @ss " ... "Cudos , exceptional build quality" :D

Still a good piece of advertisement.

Non related example

Mercedes-Benz found a specific car-model here in Greece a couple of years ago.It was a taxi with a couple of million ? khm in odo ... and still running.

They took it back to their museum in Germany.

:D

or was it an Opel :confused:

Dont get me wrong but I got really excited when I finaly found a tnt2 Ultra in a bundle with other useless GPUs yesterday! Hope the price stays realistic :D

You dont really need an ultra.

There are other ways to hit the target.

So if the price gets high , just drop it.

You dont really need an ultra.

There are other ways to hit the target.

So if the price gets high , just drop it.

not sure what you meen now? the ultra should have faster memory ICs alowing higher frequency atleast or maybe thats not relevant due to bad scaling?

Only checked my vanta card but assume all tnt cards takes memory voltage from the agp port as 3.3v making it a hassle to increase Vmem, Vgpu should be easy on this old cards tho.

Guess what... found T-bird 1000MHz and Asus board. Will join soon :)

I'm not familiar with this platform.

Is 10x the max multi or is x10.5 possible?

I see in the interactive ocinside guide, max selectable frequency (at 100FSB) is 1050MHz, so it should be available.

Also found TNT2 Ultra (Guillemot Maxi Gamer Xentor 32) in my pile of hardware, so it seems I will be full set.

Edited by I.nfraR.ed

I've never touched slot A system, so don't be so sure :P

Hope kotori-san will participate too.

Plus it is all about fun :)

Thanks for the multiplier info Scotty.

Not sure what is possible with 1GHz T-Bird, but will try to find out.

It is going to be limited by platform I guess, but maybe 1200-1300 (at > 2V vcore) is possible with water?

Edited by I.nfraR.ed

Maybe. Cache divisor is the key. ;)

KA7 is the only board that it's adjustable in the bios. Huge advantage. For all others it'll be a hardmod or software if you can find it......and it actually works.

This stage is all about the availability of hardware. GPU will have little impact as long as it's TNT2.

Run what you brung, and hope you brung enough. :D

Edited by Mr.Scott

Yes, however I have only M64's and one Ultra, so the latter is the obvious choice.

I have Goldfinger's device for the CPU and will try without mods first, to see how far I can push it.

And the Thunderbird has the built-in cache running at full speed, so I can't control that, right?

It is basically socket A Thunderbird on slot A board.

stage 1

Theoretically, probably the guys who play with 1000MHZ cpu should have an advantage for the the stage 1,

even if they use motherboard with amd 751chiset.

The most motherboards who used chipset 751, make lets say 115 fsb on air theoretically (bios limited)

so 1150 MHZ for 1000MHZ cpu on air is possible and so on...

If your chipset is VIa kx133 ( like top motherboards for this socket, like Abit KA7 or ASUS K7V)

or any Via kx133 chipset lets say we are waiting for new world records...

chipset 751 is limited to 100 sdram and agp 1x or 2x

chipset VIa kx133 has 4x agp... (this is for the second stage advantage)

The only way if you want to have a chance for chipset 751, is gold finger device (GFD)

Northwind GFD

Ninja Micros Freespeed Pro

K7 Overclocking Card

Liberator 2 GFD

or similars like this

or you have to make it manual...

stage 2

Theoretically

PCmark 04

AGP X4 like geforce fx 5700 or 5900, geforce fx 5950 ultra or radeon 9700 pro (for VIa kx133 chipset)

pci ide or sata raid controler, and gigabyte iram or hyperdrive4

doyoufeellucky-620-with-caption_zpsubuycjgo.jpg

7b412daa2e5786ea338e876ee16d041cee1106785561f1d2e47d0d497b251467_zpskjyvxa4z.jpg