HWBOT Community Forums

Computex 2016

M.Beier

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
I'm still waiting for approval from work. What's the key dates to be there? Does it all finish up on the 6th or so?

No, 4th, but to my knowledge 4th is open to public, extremely crowded and a day where you actually want to stay away if you can....

However 4-5-6 is likely to be event, vendors open house etc.

Is the list in the OP updated?

I got a request from Computex to get a short BIO from the overclockers who will join this year. Would be good to have an updated version! :D

Now its up to date.

Hey, so as a person who is looking to attend computex for the first time, can you answer a few Taipei related questions I have?

1. which area do I need to stay near?

2. What are the dates of the hwbot event? (I know the show is 31st to the 4th)

3. Are there OC related demos on at the show? if so, what dates and venues?

4. on a scale of Ho Chi Minh city to Tokyo, how clean is Taipei?

5. can I drink the tap water, or bottled only?

6. I've seen some pics of Trouffman and Tim I think hiking in forested areas, is this nearby to Taipei or further away?

7. How does one get around cheaply? do you have motorcycle taxis, regular taxis, trains only?

8. which area do overclockers stay in and drink (ie, where should i look at accommodation?)

Hey, so as a person who is looking to attend computex for the first time, can you answer a few Taipei related questions I have?

1. which area do I need to stay near?

2. What are the dates of the hwbot event? (I know the show is 31st to the 4th)

3. Are there OC related demos on at the show? if so, what dates and venues?

4. on a scale of Ho Chi Minh city to Tokyo, how clean is Taipei?

5. can I drink the tap water, or bottled only?

6. I've seen some pics of Trouffman and Tim I think hiking in forested areas, is this nearby to Taipei or further away?

7. How does one get around cheaply? do you have motorcycle taxis, regular taxis, trains only?

8. which area do overclockers stay in and drink (ie, where should i look at accommodation?)

1. Taipei is a small city as of area, you cannot eally go much wrong - but near 101 or Nangang if you want short time on transport.

2. Cannot answer that one...

3. Yes, at Nangang and Gigabyte probably have in Taipei 101..

4. In my opinion Taipei is fairly clean, they have 1 slightly dirty district, but that'll still qualify for the cleanest part of town in London....

5. No, do not drink tap water - Taiwan copy everything from USA, even the dumb sh*t.

6. Cannot answer where they went, but there are places for hiking in Taipei, however if having the time I'd suggest visiting sun moonlake or Tarako.

7. Taxi is cheap, but you might have a hard time without speaking Chinese... Metro is very easy, and buy a SMARTCARD from Massman - yes, he has been slow advertising this, however I am sure he will make hwbot smartcard for you :)

8. City center, the parties are hosted by the vendors - and idea is to update the thread with info :)

- Usually overclockers are at 2-3 different parties each night, with exception og GALAX Night, that night - we go have Korean BBQ.

*Officially there isnt any party yet, buuuut, I'd be very suprised if they wont host :D

I always seem to end up hostelling in the red-light districts of town, where is this so I can avoid it?

I see that Nangang and T101 are about 6km from each other, i guess by train thats not too hard. Smartcard I can handle.

I dont speak any chinese, so I'll have to do train I guess.

City is reasonably large, when you mean city centre, do you mean a certain district?

2. Event dates are May 31 - June 4, competition every day with the last day being the final. I want to announce the exact details ASAP, but there are a couple of things that need to be sorted still.

5. Filtered tap water is fine, not filtered I wouldn't drink

To answer your other questions:

- For Computex you want to stick to the Zhongxiao area around the Blue MRT line. Most of the activities are either in that area, or Xinyi (101), and Nangang. Everything is on the Blue MRT line.

- Red light districts can be found anywhere, but the most notorious near the city center is a street called Linsen Bei Lu.

- MRT "easycard" is the right way to travel. Taxi prices have gone up this year, but are still reasonable compared to other major cities.

- You can cross the entire Taipei city + periphery with a taxi in less about an hour. Compared to Tokyo, Taipei is really small :)

Edited by Massman

I always seem to end up hostelling in the red-light districts of town, where is this so I can avoid it?

That's because you cheap out on accom.... Just crash with me. I'll airbnb or a place or get a nice 5star hotel for the week.

I dont speak any chinese, so I'll have to do train I guess.

I can teach you to swear? That's what I still remember from Chinese classes in school.