HWBOT Community Forums

Discuss: Adding benchmarks in Rev4

Massman

Hey all,

In Rev4, we will split up the HWBOT benchmark suite in three parts: 'global', 'hardware' and 'beta'.

- global = global and hardware points

- hardware = only hardware points

- beta = no points

The idea here is that we will limit the amount of benchmarks you need to run to get a high ranking in the Overclockers League. Diversity is good, but if we add another 10 benchmarks, the ranking will more and more become function of the amount of available time. Therefore, a selection of 10/15 benchmarks (~ like now) will be used for global points.

The more benchmarks, the better. Especially when benching for the team, it's nice to have as much benchmarks as possible to grab hardware points. So, we have a 'new' category of benchmarks that only generate hardware points. Over time, it's possible that a highly popular and decent benchmark moves to the global category. The idea here is, for instance, to give global points to 3DMark Vantage Performance and add entry, high and extreme as hardware points.

The beta section is to test new benchmarks. If possible, we would like to add some kind of GUI for overclockers to add a new benchmark. That probably won't make it in the first edition of Rev4, but just wanted to throw it into the group.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions, ideas ... shoot! :)

Sounds like a nice idea, but who will decide what benchmark will be hardware only?

Same like it's decided now.

New benchmark -> no points

- quality and security control

- community likes it?

If both ok => hardware points

If turns out it's highly popular and solid => global?

Diversity is good, but if we add another 10 benchmarks, the ranking will more and more become function of the amount of available time.

Thats exactly what I am thinking about, when I see that more and more benchmarks will be integrated in the database.

So I think this solution sounds good.

But to add every preset of every benchmark... I think that is a bit to much. I see a very great flood of hwpoints...

Thats exactly what I am thinking about, when I see that more and more benchmarks will be integrated in the database.

So I think this solution sounds good.

But to add every preset of every benchmark... I think that is a bit to much. I see a very great flood of hwpoints...

i agree, especially with the last line... :)

I don't know about some people, but I tend to only bench good point getter's anymore because of the time I can donate.. I think more benches with good point structure could make some benches grow quicker then normal...

Look at heaven.. since it was introduced with good amount of points.. lots and lots of people are now benching it...

Having a seperate system of hw/global/no points.. will determine if it is popular or not... I could be wrong.. but thats what I keep rolling around in my head... lol

I don't know about some people, but I tend to only bench good point getter's anymore because of the time I can donate.. I think more benches with good point structure could make some benches grow quicker then normal...

Look at heaven.. since it was introduced with good amount of points.. lots and lots of people are now benching it...

Having a seperate system of hw/global/no points.. will determine if it is popular or not... I could be wrong.. but thats what I keep rolling around in my head... lol

True. Look at PCMark 2004 I am the only one who is submitting scores :D

Maybe PCMarkVantage too

You are right; when we enable points for certain benchmarks there's a more obvious focus on those benchmarks.

I think that limiting the amount of benchmarks that receive global points and thus making the choice to give a benchmark more focus will give those who are aiming for the top ranks maybe a bit more time to really push the system in specific benchmarks. I have the feeling we're close to the saturation point where there are too much benchmarks to focus on; adding 10 more could make everything unbalanced.

Competition in Vantage 1280x, 1680x,1920x

i like it,

competition super pi 16k,Prime 95,sp2004...

more ideas....is easy....

- points global league by year,

points by total years global along last 5 years,10 years,20 years for a historical.

For the teams and overclockers is another oportunity for win,for new challengues,for surprises.

-Competitions and cups by global ranking league,by previous clasifications,by achivements,by benchmark score can access to the competition.

-And free competitions like in this moment, its important.

Edited by masape