HWBOT Community Forums

G.SKILL OC World Cup 2017 Qualifier Discussion

rtsurfer

Would it be too much to ask to use i5 instead of i3?

Thing is, the way Intel has priced the 7350K, no one is buying it. So it is hard for us overclockers to sell rejects, since there are no gamers that are willing to buy the rejected CPUs. Overclockers would have to incur heavy looses while binning CPUs. On the otherhand, i5s are really popular amongst gamers, so they can be resold easier/with less looses. I didn't suggest the i7s because I think Gskill choose i3 to make the Competition not too expensive & also I'd get accused of a bias(rightfully so) because I have a good i7. The way Intel has chosen to price​ the i3K combined with AMD bringing more cores at lower price with Ryzen, i3s are in a really unfavorable market position right now.

i5,while having a higher price out of the gate, would endup costing significantly cheaper to bin for all most everyone involved. I measure the cost of binning by looking at how much money I loose selling rejects & i3K is the worst right now as far as Intel is concerned. Looking out for everyone's interest, not just mine.

Disclaimer:- I don't own even a single i5.

Edited by rtsurfer

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

Thanks for the input, but G.Skill decided to use i3, we had pentium and i7 last years and always someone was unhappy, so this is not new. I have a golden i5 btw, sounds like a nice idea :D - but I see no chance to change G.Skills decision

Pretty sure the unhappiness last year was with the IGPs dying because of the unusual IGP focused competition. I don't think people were offended with the use of i7 itself. Pentium is just self explanatory. i3 just makes the competition needlessly expensive for benchers. I thought a competition should be focusing on hardness/fairness & not on financially ruining the participants.

Also a bigger heads up than 3 days would've been nice.

But oh well. Peace out. :)

Edited by rtsurfer

• Administrators

The gaming 5 is practically same as the wifi by specs, so there is no problem, on the socf I think we will have to rule it out as unreleased hardware. I know of people who have this board for months now and it is still not listed anywhere :/

Can we get an overview for the final prizes, will there be aditional memory that we keep beside the cash money?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

you mean for Online or Live?

for Online there is only one Lucky Draw

Can we please get an exact list of boards that are acceptable, so this is not up for guesswork?

I have Z170M OC Formula, Z270N-Gaming 5, Z270X Gaming SOC

Agree with this, if it possible to put a small list of 'NOT OKAY' board for use(and easily visible on the competition page rules/stages) I think that would help to reduce unnecessary trouble :)

Example:

NOT OK boards list:

Z270X Gaming SOC (reason: availability)

Z170 SOC Force LN2 (reason: unreleased)

etc

Since we are on the topic of what Hardware is allowed or not.

Are the Gskill OC World Cup RAM from last year's competition legal to use in this competition or not?

Technically they are ES unless I'm understanding wrong

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

thats why we ask clear pic of IC and PCB, we know which one is ES

All submissions must include a picture of G.SKILL memory with heatsink and serial number; If the heatsink is removed, the picture must clearly show the PCB and IC

Agree with this, if it possible to put a small list of 'NOT OKAY' board for use(and easily visible on the competition page rules/stages) I think that would help to reduce unnecessary trouble :)

Example:

NOT OK boards list:

Z270X Gaming SOC (reason: availability)

Z170 SOC Force LN2 (reason: unreleased)

etc

Exactly this.

Z270N-Gaming 5 isnt released in Australia, I dont know if it is elsewhere, and I have X bios for it, I dont know if this is public.

• Administrators

you can buy it for 170 dollars at amazoncom - might be worth it if you have an x bios. I have no idea if gskill will rule it out, we usually only stop boards that are unreleased or not available at all to stop sample benchers from having big advantage

This X BIOS thing raises questions for the Gigabyte competition too.

Hopefully the BIOS is banned in that comp or made public, although too late to make it public, IMO.

Coz if there an X-Bios floating around, then that board is not equal to the Wifi board.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk