HWBOT Community Forums

DDR1/2/3/4 Subzero: Max. MHz basics

Hey,

I want to get into the subzero RAM game so I took a look at some of the best results. I've put together a summary below, please let me know of any improvements or additions as I haven't benched any of this myself and am just relying on info in people's submissions. I hope it will be a helpful for any newbies starting out.

No code has to be inserted here.

I would like to add other columns like max. volts the particular IC scales to and CB temperature but that I would need more input from people who have actually benched this stuff and remember the particulars.

Happy Benching! :)

Edited by unityofsaints

should definitely be interesting.

Dont rule out MOCF and Kaby Lake for b-die for DDR4

Yes I was debating adding regular Kaby Lake but I want to keep to 1 or 2 options per DDR generation and so far it looks like Coffee Lake and Kaby Lake-X IMCs are stronger on average than regular Kaby Lake (the first result is in 7th, over 100 mhz slower than first). I get your point but if I added it I'd also have to add the top 3 chipsets for for say DDR1 and that would get messy fast :D

and I dont think you want full pot for B die either, probably around -80 at most.

Edited, thx!

DDR2 D9s scale up to 3V in my experience (not tested higher as my board doesn't support it).

Apparently it can CB/CBB at around -60/-50, as people with stronger phases have had issues compared to my testing.

Info added, thx! Glad to have a memory clocking master in this thread :)

TCCD 512MB is dual sided, 256MB is single - same for GMH/GKX, 512MB single sided and 1GB dual sided

Do you mean TCCD single-sided simply doesn't exist or does but isn't the best clocking? Info edited for now but would be good to know more detail.

Some TCCD scale up to 3.7-3.8V, others stop at 3.3-3.4V, but that's not a healthy voltage for these chips. I also have sticks that don't like higher than 3.2V.

Do you mean TCCD single-sided simply doesn't exist or does but isn't the best clocking? Info edited for now but would be good to know more detail.

They do exist, but chips in 512MB sticks are better clocking.

Edited by I.nfraR.ed

Do bear in mind you might have to bin motherboards for ram clocking as the MC is in the NB (for 775).

And at high volts (>2.6V, not sure) D9s can develop a weird volt-boot behaviour where they won't boot below ~2.4V (again not 100%).

Edited to specify platform.

Edited by Noxinite

Some TCCD scale up to 3.7-3.8V, others stop at 3.3-3.4V, but that's not a healthy voltage for these chips. I also have sticks that don't like higher than 3.2V.

They do exist, but chips in 512MB sticks are better clocking.

Thx, added to the OP.

Do bear in mind you might have to bin motherboards for ram clocking as the MC is in the NB (for 775).

And at high volts (>2.6V, not sure) D9s can develop a weird volt-boot behaviour where they won't boot below ~2.4V (again not 100%).

Edited to specify platform.

Would you say these go consistently higher when putting the NB on cold? Given well-binned RAM ofc.

Edited by unityofsaints

Is socket 939 not the ideal ddr1 platform?

it is ddr1 platform, ,...ndom-access memory (DDR SDRAM) is a class of memory integrated circuits used in computers. DDR SDRAM, also called DDR1 SDRAM

you tell me and all the forum here what other memory can be used in socket 939???? , i'm l waiting with baited breath ???

good ram is essential to any good overclock, no matter what platform or what ever cooling, if you havent got it you just wont get it

ive had my ddr/ddr1 lol, to 3.9v no issues, ive killed some in the process to, thats just part an partial for overclocking , ive never had any better than teamextreem ram tho

http://hwbot.org/submission/3258794_ozzie_memory_frequency_ddr_sd_ram_420.5_mhz/

it is ddr1 platform, ,...ndom-access memory (DDR SDRAM) is a class of memory integrated circuits used in computers. DDR SDRAM, also called DDR1 SDRAM

you tell me and all the forum here what other memory can be used in socket 939???? , i'm l waiting with baited breath ???

good ram is essential to any good overclock, no matter what platform or what ever cooling, if you havent got it you just wont get it

ive had my ddr/ddr1 lol, to 3.9v no issues, ive killed some in the process to, thats just part an partial for overclocking , ive never had any better than teamextreem ram tho

http://hwbot.org/submission/3258794_ozzie_memory_frequency_ddr_sd_ram_420.5_mhz/

I was more asking about IMC limits, as that is why you need to bin motherboards, or in the case of a64 cpus.

your reply does not take away your original statement, and my reply to it and was, 939 is ddr1, and to add trying binning 939 with any other ram or cpu in it LOL ?????????

• 3 weeks later...

For DDR1, I needed to bin CPUs for better IMC, only 2 out of 40 could handle 420+ speeds. CPU needs to be warm but not hot. Board of choice for me is DFI NF4 Ultra-D or SLI-D - don't know what kind of freak of nature does CN posses (speaking about his TCCD-loving Expert)

For DDR2, easiest board to go for high mem clocks is Gigabyte EP45-UD3P or UD3R, don't know what magic juice is inside, but these boards allow to boot and clock mems which dead on other boards. I also tried DFI DK P35 and it was OK (has volts up to 3.25) and some guys who appeared in this thread used also different boards - P5Q for example or some X38 boards.

For DDR4 I have mixed feelings - I had a number of B-die kits and none of them responded to cold properly, so I'm a little hesitant about freezing it and I suspect there might be only some IC batches or PCB revisions that allow for it (or both).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

to respond at your question Noxinite, yes the Giga p45s as the same weird problem, related to d9 i think

i shooted 3.0v on micron d9 ballistix during bench session, after backed down the voltage to 2.5v in the  bios, nothing boot anymore, first think was to say, its dead, but i put another stick up the voltage to 2.6v save bios,put my stick and now booting.

all on ep45-ud3r.

Edited by gtxx58

Shame. :( I thought it was an Asus issue as I retested my P5Q-E the other day and it seemed to be extremely picky with ram sticks.

Also, my good stick was posting fine in different boards.

I guess if DDR2 max freq comes up in Team Cup I'll retry using my UD3R.

• 4 months later...