richba5tard

Should we award points for 3DMark Vantage scores  

301 members have voted

1. 1. Should we award points for 3DMark Vantage scores

• Yes, to both the extreme and default preset
    • Yes, but only for default preset
    • Yes, but only for extreme preset
    • No

Benchmarks are generally useless piece of software, you can't earn money (okay, aside from KP, H5 and few other lucky chaps) on it as with e.g. Photoshop, Office, CAD/CAM/DCC software. Benchmarks are just like some unplayable demo versions of games back in the days. They (game) roll by themselves, you can just watch the scripted scene.

Paying for a demonstrative software? No in my humble opinion.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Benchmarks are generally useless piece of software, you can't earn money (okay, aside from KP, H5 and few other lucky chaps) on it as with e.g. Photoshop, Office, CAD/CAM/DCC software. Benchmarks are just like some unplayable demo versions of games back in the days. They (game) roll by themselves, you can just watch the scripted scene.

Paying for a demonstrative software? No in my humble opinion.

Why should FM make benchmarks without getting paid for the job?

If the community wants a free 3dmark-style benchmark, why don't the users here just make one? Can't be THAT hard if FM's efforts aren't worth as little as $20. I bet that there are a few programmers who are benchmarkers as well.

I am pretty sure FM gets payed enough by hardware vendors and manufactures, even the old 3DMark2000 (by FM, before they renamed themselves into MadOnion) was packed with commericals in the splash screens.

Besides, there are many game benchmarks that could get integrated into hwbot in case Vantage is accepted - like Crysis benchmark tool. Yes, you pay for the game, but at least you end up with the game that you can play ;)

I am pretty sure FM gets payed enough by hardware vendors and manufactures, even the old 3DMark2000 (by FM, before they renamed themselves into MadOnion) was packed with commericals in the splash screens.

Besides, there are many game benchmarks that could get integrated into hwbot in case Vantage is accepted - like Crysis benchmark tool. Yes, you pay for the game, but at least you end up with the game that you can play ;)

If the game costs $20 it's OK;) Unfortunately, it costs perhaps more than $70 over here -and if Vantage had been THAT expensive I'd vote no in this poll;) Crysis as a game is worthless to me.

If the game costs $20 it's OK;) Unfortunately, it costs perhaps more than $70 over here -and if Vantage had been THAT expensive I'd vote no in this poll;) Crysis as a game is worthless to me.

You actually make the point many of us are trying to stand behind. Cost. If the cost is high or low in anyone's opinion is irrelevant. That's subjective based on one's income or spending habits. $70 dollars is unreasonable to you yet to someone that has deep pockets $70 isn't even a second thought. The same thing may apply to someone regarding $20.00, maybe $10.00, maybe less. The dude with the $70 for a benchmark is gonna get the "Super unlocked, my eslong is bigger than yours edition" regardless if there's a free version anyway. Futuremark has always made that option available for the people who need every little button available. Yet this idea of taking away the bottom of the barrel version that even in a limited fashion allows you to be involved with the ORB, is the new style. I don't like, it ain't right and I will not voluntarily support this kind of business practice.

The RaT

Also as some1 said about manipulation of the results since only 10 new IDs would alter the result hugely.....in the forum and the comments, the 'NO's are almost 50% but in the poll the result is almost 70-30, so is it that those who are interested in this benchmark do not care about replying in this thread or what????

.., I just cant believe it... :-(

It will be a sad day for HWbot and the benchmarking community if this is going to be the outcome. The end result will be HWbot being the home of world records set with obsolete software because users are too cheap to spend $20.00. Probably a pretty safe bet if Orb submissions could be done with cracked software the poll would be a bit different.

The end result will be HWbot being the home of world records set with obsolete software because users are too cheap to spend $20.00

So you think that WR's in SuperPi, 2k1-2k6, PiFast, WPrime, etc, etc, can easily be attained with obsolete hardware? 24.gif

Vantage is the holy grail of benching and it is the only thing that can really take advantage of the new hardware? Take a look at the numbers in 2k3, 2k5 and 2k6 with 2 x 4870X2 ;)