richba5tard

Should we award points for 3DMark Vantage scores  

301 members have voted

1. 1. Should we award points for 3DMark Vantage scores

• Yes, to both the extreme and default preset
    • Yes, but only for default preset
    • Yes, but only for extreme preset
    • No

If you demand 70% yes for all benchmark additions there won't be added too many new ones. Probably just new FM releases. 60% is more than enough, the way it looks now 65% want to fight for the points, but 35% won't let them do it as they don't like the bench themselves. Doesn't sound fair at all to my ears:o

Never heard of any real-life "poll" where 70% was the limit. Most often it's 50%:confused: I wonder if Obama or McCain need 70% to become president. Then it would be Bush time for anyther 4 years:rolleyes:

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would say that logical way to look at this poll is that the option which has most votes wins ;) but others have other logic

And your logic is totally flawed lol.

All the yes votes vs. All the no votes is logical. Then if Yes wins you break it down between what 3 options got the most votes. Voting yes for Extreme only, yes for Performance only, or yes for both is a "yes" vote no matter how you look at it.

As I said before, you bench laptops why do you care?

I was refering to certain parts of the comunity.., my guess is that when X-58 arriives.., the "whinemachine" will go loose again and Hwbot maybe forced to more endless polls...

.., but.., have Hwbot ever interfered in the use of a certain driver.., no.., untill now...

What in GOD's name are you talking about? When have you seen someone whining because new hardware? Everybody's happy with new hardware. And please, explain to me who are you referring when you say "whinemachine" my friend? Do you mean people don't have the right to vote NO in this pole and say why they don't want a new benchmark added? You have a problem with freedom of speech?

I see that the benchmark will eventually be awarded points by the way the voting is going. If that happens, we'll all live with that, it's the wish of the majority (but then again Bush Jr was the wish of the majority in the USA.....talking about a bad decision..but that is something else) and everybody will accept that. But I see now problem in somebody speaking up his mind, and explaining why they think it's a bad idea. This is a forum, and we all speak our mind here, even if sometimes we don't agree. Nobody's whining, and I think that some people should express themselves with a little bit more respect to other members of this community....

Funny thing is that less then 2% of the HWB Community voted....that is not majority if you ask me...Usually, when less then 30% don't come to Presidential elections, the vote is canceled :D

Edited by Monstru

you have to pay for vista to run Vantage
Not so. Vista (any version) can be installed, run, and updated, without a key or activation for up to 4 months for free as full version trial after which time another install can be done and the whole process repeated.

What in GOD's name are you talking about? When have you seen someone whining because new hardware? Everybody's happy with new hardware. And please, explain to me who are you referring when you say "whinemachine" my friend? Do you mean people don't have the right to vote NO in this pole and say why they don't want a new benchmark added? You have a problem with freedom of speech?

I see that the benchmark will eventually be awarded points by the way the voting is going. If that happens, we'll all live with that, it's the wish of the majority (but then again Bush Jr was the wish of the majority in the USA.....talking about a bad decision..but that is something else) and everybody will accept that. But I see now problem in somebody speaking up his mind, and explaining why they think it's a bad idea. This is a forum, and we all speak our mind here, even if sometimes we don't agree. Nobody's whining, and I think that some people should express themselves with a little bit more respect to other members of this community....

Funny thing is that less then 2% of the HWB Community voted....that is not majority if you ask me...Usually, when less then 30% don't come to Presidential elections, the vote is canceled :D

.., ofcourse.., You are right.., everybody ownes the right to speak there mind... :-)

Striking fact though.., less than 2% voted... :-/

(but then again Bush Jr was the wish of the majority in the USA.....talking about a bad decision..but that is something else)

Less majority than you'd think. Presidential elections are not only about who gets the most votes, but about who gets the most votes in what state.

Yes, but how many of those 10000 are still active?

Good question, I'll ask RB to provide us some numbers.

Well....actually I am sure that there are not 10000 active users, but there sure are a lot more than the ones that have voted. Anyway....I think that the people would probably agree to Vantage being added, so we will probably see that getting points soon. I don't agree with that, but HWBot is not only for me, so....:)

Just a quick thought... FM is a company that makes benchmarks. What's so wrong that they want a SMALL FEE from the users? We use their products, what's so wrong in paying for it? If $20 is a problem, we should all use Linux - NO M$ OS's at all! XP costs money, too, it's no Vista-only problem. PCMark05 + 3dmark06 require XP, 05 requires 2000 and 03 98SE. None of these are free:) Why were these benchmarks added if SW expenses are such a huge problem here?:rolleyes:

the base princable of hwbot is free benchmarks.

all previous benches work on software that people allready have. to run this new benchmark, you have to have a os which many people refuse to buy just to benchmark with it.

if vantage worked with xp people whouldnt have kicked up any fuss about paying for it, and if it had been free, but vista only, again people wouldent moan about it,

but as it is, its a major change to the base princables, and also means a change to the foundation that hwbot was founded up, free softwar for all to bench and compete with and have some fun,

as it is, its turning into a nasty the richest will win competition, with people no longer helping each other out to gain that little extra from there pc's.

if vantage worked with xp people whouldnt have kicked up any fuss about paying for it, and if it had been free, but vista only, again people wouldent moan about it,

You have countered your own argument. As has already been pointed out Vista is free for several months of use so the cost incurred for the operating system is none.

There's a couple of other things that need to be looked at when making this decision. One is the benching software being free. When that decision was made the world was in a different state. In today's economy there are few companies that can devote man-hours to anything that will not result in a return of investment. If HWBot holds to this principle sooner or later the benches being used will be completely outdated and will be the first step towards its demise.

The other thing being overlooked is Futuremark itself. When asked they made a concession as to the functionality of 3DMark Vantage. True, the outcome is not what quite a few or maybe even most had hoped for but Futuremark did compromise none the less. This should be kept in mind when a final decision is made reguarding the awarding of points.

Well said Praz...

All the people moaning about having to buy Vista obviously havent read this thread. You can use Vista for an indefinate amount of time (legally) with no activation, or serial entered. All it requires is a reinstall every 4 months... something most of us do more frequently anyways... (on bench machines at least)

To everyone that voted YES - just don't come back in a year or two complaining why the hell the new version of 3DMark costs so much. By agreeing to pay for a benchmark you just comply with their policy. Without a shadow of doubt - next time they'll ask for double the money!

It's an precedans case - to pay for a benchmark or not. It's a demo software. How would you feel to pay for a e.g. non-playable demo of Crysis?

To everyone that voted YES - just don't come back in a year or two complaining why the hell the new version of 3DMark costs so much. By agreeing to pay for a benchmark you just comply with their policy. Without a shadow of doubt - next time they'll ask for double the money!

It's an precedans case - to pay for a benchmark or not. It's a demo software. How would you feel to pay for a e.g. non-playable demo of Crysis?

Demo software? Then, what's the "full version"?:)