richba5tard

Should we award points for 3DMark Vantage scores  

301 members have voted

1. 1. Should we award points for 3DMark Vantage scores

• Yes, to both the extreme and default preset
    • Yes, but only for default preset
    • Yes, but only for extreme preset
    • No

Should we award points to 3DMark Vantage scores?

Initially 3DMark Vantage was denied hwboints because the following reasons:

- hwbot rules states a benchmark application should be free (can be ignored by community vote)

- it requires MS Vista, many of us still see no reason to upgrade from WinXP.

- initially it was not possible in the 20$ version to view or save your score offline. This has been fixed.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I suggest that it might be a good idea to leave this poll open for longer than friday evening as there were complaints that the decision from the last poll was made too early, even though the poll was left open.

At least the end of the weekend, as I'm sure there will be a few people sign on at the weekend that will want to feel like they have had their chance.

I'm really torn with my choice though, maybe I'm playing for extra time to decide! :D

Why oh why would anyone want to inflict vista only benchies.

Not from the perspective of the pro bencher, but from the perspective of the regular user, that may like to compete with other regular people using their regular machines for hwbot boints.

Vantage is Vista only, so people running XP only will not be able to run it on their everyday machine that they also use for benchies.

Also, it's not free, meaning people that enjoy overclocking but don't want to pay for benchmarking software (or even have to buy Vista as well) will not be able to contribute scores to the leaderboard.

I think it's elitist that this is even considered at this moment in time - Given that Vista has less than 18% market share of the Microsoft OS ran PC's.

I would never say never, but right now the conditions are not fair and balanced and this package will really only apply to pro benchers or those unfortunate enough to be inflicted with Vista and also have a free copy of Vantage suppplied as a freebie from other hardware.

Unlike every other benchamrk currently in use, Vantage is not a benchmark that can be enjoyed by the whole community at this point in time.

Roll on Windows 7

Why oh why would anyone want to inflict vista only benchies.

Because Vista is the ONLY OS that supports Quadfire/TriSli. For 3dmark03, many people already run vista for this very reason. wPrime is also very bias toward using Vista, it shaves many seconds off. Same with PCMark05, Vista will yield considerably higher scores. Not to mention if you want to fully use your DX10 Graphics Card for current games, you need Vista also.

Not from the perspective of the pro bencher, but from the perspective of the regular user, that may like to compete with other regular people using their regular machines for hwbot boints.

Vantage is Vista only, so people running XP only will not be able to run it on their everyday machine that they also use for benchies.

You dont have to purchase Vista to use it. Its perfectly legal to install Vista without entering a key. This gives you 30 days to "try" the full version of Vista, and can be extended to 90 days (legally) by typing a simple command in dos prompt. Then if you reinstall Vista you can start this whole process over again. Any good bencher starts a session with a clean OS anyways. So the whole "buy Vista" argument against this is moot. Its just not an issue.;)

Also, it's not free, meaning people that enjoy overclocking but don't want to pay for benchmarking software (or even have to buy Vista as well) will not be able to contribute scores to the leaderboard.

Valid point about buying the bench software, but not about Vista.

I think it's elitist that this is even considered at this moment in time - Given that Vista has less than 18% market share of the Microsoft OS ran PC's.

Well I would imagine the people using hwbot ARE the most elite computer users around... right? Not to mention I would be considered an XP user (main OS) myself. BUT I also run Vista too. I'm sure if your statistics measured how many people use XP as main OS but still run Vista sometimes, the 18% would be much higher.

I would never say never, but right now the conditions are not fair and balanced and this package will really only apply to pro benchers or those unfortunate enough to be inflicted with Vista and also have a free copy of Vantage suppplied as a freebie from other hardware.

I would estimate that 90% of people on hwbot could afford a $20 purchase. We spend $100's on a single component regularly... You obviously have a strong dislike for Vista OS itself, but please realize this isn't about if you like the OS. Its about a new 3d bench software that allows people to finally score their DX10 Graphics Cards on a DX10 benchmark. Illustrating better the performance for current games utilizing this tech.

Also the above statement I made about QuadFire/Tri Sli only being Vista compatible. These setups are also not fully used in any other 3d benchmark except 3DMark03 (which is super old and doesn't indicate current performance).

Unlike every other benchamrk currently in use, Vantage is not a benchmark that can be enjoyed by the whole community at this point in time.

Roll on Windows 7

Roll on in 2 years? Then you could argue "But we have to buy Windows 7, to use this bench." It will never end...

I am not flaming in any way, I am just playing devil's advocate.

Any benchmark is won by who has the newest, best, most expensive hardware and exotic cooling, the top sponsors, and so on. Would you shutdown all points because of this? It doesn't mean people can't bench what they have and still gain from it, just as it is with existing benches.

Any benchmark is won by who has the newest, best, most expensive hardware and exotic cooling, the top sponsors, and so on. Would you shutdown all points because of this? It doesn't mean people can't bench what they have and still gain from it, just as it is with existing benches.

I agree 100%

About the licences, there's 30 day trial for Vista and the benchmark is not so expensive now that Advanced Licence gives the option to save and submit scores.

+1 Its not like we're all benching for global records, thats why there's hardware awards.