richba5tard

Should we award points for 3DMark Vantage scores  

301 members have voted

1. 1. Should we award points for 3DMark Vantage scores

• Yes, to both the extreme and default preset
    • Yes, but only for default preset
    • Yes, but only for extreme preset
    • No

It will be a sad day for HWbot and the benchmarking community if this is going to be the outcome. The end result will be HWbot being the home of world records set with obsolete software because users are too cheap to spend $20.00. Probably a pretty safe bet if Orb submissions could be done with cracked software the poll would be a bit different.
Agreed, maybe people should only buy e8600 and change the name to pibot ;)

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vantage is the holy grail of benching and it is the only thing that can really take advantage of the new hardware? Take a look at the numbers in 2k3, 2k5 and 2k6 with 2 x 4870X2 ;)

You bring up a perfect example. People are posting upward of 200,000 point scores on the net for 03 using 2x4870x2 cards because they are bugged runs. As newer hardware becomes available and these programs become obsolete this will only be more common. But it seems like 32% of the voters have no problem with this.

You bring up a perfect example. People are posting upward of 200,000 point scores on the net for 03 using 2x4870x2 cards because they are bugged runs. As newer hardware becomes available and these programs become obsolete this will only be more common. But it seems like 32% of the voters have no problem with this.

That, and 2k1 not using 4 GPU's are the only 2 examples you can give, and you know that.

Let's face it....we know for sure what the problem with 2k1 is, but who knows exactly why some bugs apear on those 2k3 runs? Who knows exactly if those programs are obsolete, or coders and programmers are not doing their job, or they are doing it right for something in particular? Think about that a little bit ;)

Unfortunately for Vantage, when it comes down to dual-cores and 1 or 2 GPU's, 2k1 is still the best all system benchmark. You have to have skill and experience for that, and that is why that is a great benchmark. 2006??? What is the problem with 2k6? You need a very expensive QX for that? Well, I think that in an year from now, everyone will be benching only quad-cores, so where is the problem? BUT everyone will not BUY 3 GFX cards just to get a bigger score in Vantage, even if Futuremark and Nvidia go very well hand in hand and enjoy encouraging users to buy not 1, not 2 but 3 GFX cards, even if that is so useless. Sure, why the heck not, maybe in a couple of years we will be benching 6 GFX, that sure is good bussines for them...Even now it is hard and you have to make sacrifices to have good benching hardware, but if Vantage is a preview of the benchmarks to come, then my friends, let's change the name now, from HWBot into $Bot.

Why cant we see it like this.., we all need heroes.., we all need to marvel at fantastic results both in 2K1 and in Vantage.., exluding boints cuz of dollars in a rig??? We need that too.., looking at the pics of 3 280´s/4870X2 CF completely iced ! :-) .., aswell as we look at a rig that trashed 2k1 air or LN, doesnt matter...

(Nacthymnens pics of his iced pot is my favourites..:-)

KP had a sweet 2k1 thread goin on XS.., cap on cpu 4.6ghz.., cap on nature 1470 or sum like that.., goal was 100k.., all air..,not so easy...

I´m equally impressed over those who managed that on air as I am over WR in Vantage with tons of LN and a forrest of gpu´s...

We need both scenarios.., so why not award boints for job well done.., what ever benchmark...

good thing you'll be able to compete against those triple GTX 280 SLI setups then under Vantage ;)

BUT everyone will not BUY 3 GFX cards just to get a bigger score in Vantage

Single card doesnt need to compete against SLI/CF setups, so that argument doesnt matter.

And you both seem to forget the fact that dual cards for a long time now have been getting bigger scores in ALL graphics benchmarks, not just Vantage!!!

Edited by T_M

So the final decision was what? No HWBot points for Vantage? I didn't see a single effective argument in scanning this thread. There's just a bunch of whining over hardware costs. To compete for a top spot in HWBot it takes skill, serious funding, and connections. Vantage is no different than 3D01, 3D03, 3D05, 3D06, or AM3. All have high hardware requirements that result in lots of ramen being eaten to afford that second x2 or third GTX280. Perhaps we should remove all the 3D benchmarks but 3D01 and AM3 since all the others can utilize more than 2 GPUs and are therefore have too high of a barrier to entry. 3DMark Vantage and multi-GPU setups are all part of computer evolution. Not too long ago using 1 GPU was the standard and dual-GPU was a nice toy. Now I'd say dual-GPU is the standard and multi-GPU is a nice toy. Not supporting 3DMark Vantage drops HWBot from being a cutting edge resource measuring current benchmarkers to a cutting edge resource that's stuck in the past.

so there you have it, more have voted yes, about 66% have than no, so lets bring on the hwbot points for vantage! also does this mean you get points for your previous runs or just ones from this point on?

i thought it was to be 70%/30%... damn my memory

cat's out the bag; FM is working out a deal with HWbot to offer discount of Vantage license; more info coming from the big man.
This could turn into win/win/win if points are eventually awarded. Of course futuremark would win because of increased sales even at the discount price. Second win is hwbot because of the increased membership from people signing up to take advantage of the discount. Third win is all hwbot members have a new bench to play with. :woot:

i wish tat i could change my vote to no, they are in the way its meant to be played group now and are optimizing for non standard rendering sachems to make NV able to use their shader clock better, and it seams that u get more points with an extreme edition than a normal so im really not liking this bench the more i get into doing it

u can have 200-300mhz on an extreme edition and they still win with a lower fsb and the same everything else but ram settings

we need more benches for graphic cards, but i would like to see some that are acctualy unbiased and not coded to make one platform use a faster rendering system that isnt viable for a game

DMC4 looks pritty balanced except for the IQ on NV with it

Edited by zanzabar

Since it is the only program that really hard tests direct x 10.1 it should be allowed.

err, i thought 10.1 was conspicuously left out for 3dm vantage, largely because nvidia cards do not support 10.1 as of yet and would score 0 on a 10.1 bench.

althought i think there is no reason this bench shouldn't be added as it is already used in many reviews and discussions, i do think that there are quite a few issues with it that need to be considered in its implementation.

Edited by Slovnaft