HWBOT Community Forums
Sign in to follow this  
unityofsaints

Which socket 370 motherboard?

Hi,

The TUSL2-C and CUSL2 ASUS boards seem to be the most popular - what are the pros and cons of each and are there any others to consider? I'm very interested in this platform but the hardware is difficult to find and expensive (for what it is) so I don't want to pick something that won't work.

TUSL2-C is natively compatible with tualatin core, CUSL2 requires mods to hardware to run tualatins. On the other hand, TUSL2 won't  run mendocino celerons. I would pick TUSL2 of these two boards. Mendocino celerons are not that popular. 

Another challenge will be to get the following 2 things: IDE-SATA adaptor (to allow high fsb overclocks - native IDE drives won't let you overclock more than 20-30% in a lot of cases) and good memory that is able to go >200MHz CL2-2-2 (that is Quimonda chips of >2007 production - memory performance is crucial with s370). And probably  you should also have several AGP cards as it also may limit your overclock (however, most simple agp cards as GF2MX, GF4MX should allow agp overclocking over 100MHz from stock 66MHz and the problem may be overclocking of AGP over 127-130MHz).

You can look for Gigabyte 6OXET as alternative - these are rather difficult to find but they should be cheaper being considered garbage by many second hand resellers. I was able to hit even more stable overclocks with it but killed it during research.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 12/21/2018 at 11:27 AM, TerraRaptor said:

TUSL2-C is natively compatible with tualatin core, CUSL2 requires mods to hardware to run tualatins. On the other hand, TUSL2 won't  run mendocino celerons. I would pick TUSL2 of these two boards. Mendocino celerons are not that popular. 

Another challenge will be to get the following 2 things: IDE-SATA adaptor (to allow high fsb overclocks - native IDE drives won't let you overclock more than 20-30% in a lot of cases) and good memory that is able to go >200MHz CL2-2-2 (that is Quimonda chips of >2007 production - memory performance is crucial with s370). And probably  you should also have several AGP cards as it also may limit your overclock (however, most simple agp cards as GF2MX, GF4MX should allow agp overclocking over 100MHz from stock 66MHz and the problem may be overclocking of AGP over 127-130MHz).

You can look for Gigabyte 6OXET as alternative - these are rather difficult to find but they should be cheaper being considered garbage by many second hand resellers. I was able to hit even more stable overclocks with it but killed it during research.

Thanks for the suggestions, that is some great insight. I never knew IDE-SATA adapters were overclocking-relevant, I will definitely be ordering a 2$ one from China now :P

Are PCI VGAs better than AGP for OC?

Also I often used PCI SCSI controller because most of the time XP survived moving to completely different platform which doesn't work with IDE. No idea how that can affect OC though.

The IDE to SATA adapter explains why I was allways struggeling on 370... I was using native IDE drives :(

I got the Abit ST6-Raid BTW, was cheaper locally than the ASUS boards and should do decent, so i guess get whatesver your local market offers on the cheap :)

A good source for the quimondas is mushkins essentials memory, lot of the 256mb single sided and allmost all of the 512MB modules were quimonda :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TAGG said:

The IDE to SATA adapter explains why I was allways struggeling on 370... I was using native IDE drives

Me too, I guess this is what I needed for over 155MHz fsb.