HWBOT Community Forums

ROG Crosshair VIII Hero / FORMULA / IMPACT / DARK HERO / EXTREME LN2 OC Guide

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone had any issues with TurboV on Zen3?

Shortly after trying to adjust SOC voltage down by 25mV I got a memory exception error and now my 5950X can't run >1900MHz FCLK without WHEAs, whereas previously I'd never had a single WHEA all the way up to 2067MHz. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/19/2020 at 1:06 PM, rbuass said:

Terrible 0d post, even in stock, no matter to follow or no the excellent guide (very helpful). 

Tested several kits of RAM, 2 X 5950X and 1 X 5900X, and I can't even touch the memory timings. 

0d, 0d, 0d, etc. 

Temperatures, FCLK, SOC, etc, no matter the changes, not helps. 

3 BIOS different tested and nothing ?

That's a pity!!! 

Flashed to 3601 and same problem now, Can't touch memory timings at all or 0d
Stays 0d retry, safe boot, reset, power down and Start again
Must clear cmos to get back into bios. Same with 5600x and 5700x
Tried SR and DR B die kits from G.Skill and OLOy.
Could it be because I used EZ Flash in bios to flash from 3202? to 3601 ?
Never know best way to flash with these modern ASUS platforms, recently it's been a coinflip at best the gamble is real.
Sure I have ways to flash back or flash another bios but this is getting old fast and it's not just AMD platform
Intel has been just as bad, mostly Z490 but 390 and 590 have their issues as well

@noizemaker Are there any known beta bios for the Crosshair VIII Impact that were made between 2702 and 3003? Before the 1.1.8.0 AGESA update, to support Cezanne CPUs, but still after ReSize BAR and AMD SAM was implemented. Maybe a later 27XX bios, more likely 28XX or 29XX.

Edit: I see 3001 now. What AGESA does it use?

Edited by Sparky's__Adventure

8 hours ago, Sparky's__Adventure said:

@noizemaker Are there any known beta bios for the Crosshair VIII Impact that were made between 2702 and 3003? Before the 1.1.8.0 AGESA update, to support Cezanne CPUs, but still after ReSize BAR and AMD SAM was implemented. Maybe a later 27XX bios, more likely 28XX or 29XX.

Edit: I see 3001 now. What AGESA does it use?

sorry dont know, 2502, 2701, 2702 and 3003 i have in my arch. but i guess thats not any dev bios between.

• 2 weeks later...
  • safedisk changed the title to ROG Crosshair VIII Hero / FORMULA / IMPACT / DARK HERO / EXTREME LN2 OC Guide
On 7/8/2019 at 11:20 PM, safedisk said:

FOR XOC 3001 BIOS (Some CPUs have better XOC in old bios, so need to test it)

HERO : https://drive.google.com/file/d/19phgI9Uqw1dyly0svQEGAsz05Y6uhpxX/view?usp=sharing

Hello, and thank you for providing this mod. Can you comment about what is different about it compared to a stock Asus BIOS? I flashed it and it seems to be working fine, but nothing I have noticed so far appears to be different in the menu options. Perhaps I have not dug deep enough to see any differences in the menu options. Or, is it a stock BIOS with a different AGESA version?

Thanks and have a nice weekend.

Edited by Mr. Fox

4 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

Hello, and thank you for providing this mod. Can you comment about what is different about it compared to a stock Asus BIOS? I flashed it and it seems to be working fine, but nothing I have noticed so far appears to be different in the menu options. Perhaps I have not dug deep enough to see any differences in the menu options. Or, is it a stock BIOS with a different AGESA version?

Thanks and have a nice weekend.

Hi Bro

It's just old stock bios

I think it is better to use the latest bios

Thanks!

• Like 1

On 7/16/2021 at 3:29 AM, chispy said:

Anyone can give me a heads up or hint on the latest Bios for normal crosshair viii that supports windows 7 ? Thanks in advanced.

Kind Regards: Angelo

Hi

can use win7 in the old bios, but can't boot win7 in the new bios

I will check on this sorry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/15/2021 at 12:29 PM, chispy said:

Anyone can give me a heads up or hint on the latest Bios for normal crosshair viii that supports windows 7 ? Thanks in advanced.

Kind Regards: Angelo

I have been able to boot and run Windows 7 just fine on all BIOS versions, including 3901 Beta.ulvq0WT.jpg

On 9/3/2021 at 10:54 PM, safedisk said:

Hi

can use win7 in the old bios, but can't boot win7 in the new bios

I will check on this sorry

Perhaps forgot to disable Secure Boot and delete the keys?

Edited by Mr. Fox
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
2 hours ago, unityofsaints said:

I am using the Hero (Wifi) cold but I couldn't find the VDDG CCD / IOD voltages which are critical to reduce coldbug. I am on the latest retail BIOS, do I need to go back to the ancient extreme BIOS in the OP? I remember when I had the Hero Dark it had those voltages even in the retail BIOS.

It should definitely still be there unless you are using a monolithic cpu that doesn’t have separate IOD and CCD. (Since those are infinity fabric voltages)

On 9/7/2023 at 4:58 PM, Seby9123 said:

It should definitely still be there unless you are using a monolithic cpu that doesn’t have separate IOD and CCD. (Since those are infinity fabric voltages)

Hmm not exactly sure by what's meant with a monolitic die but I had -140 CB on 5350GE and the only volts I know that do anything to move that are IOD/CCD. On the Dark Hero for example with 5300G I had access to these voltages.

Renoir and Cezanne don’t have an IO die, it’s all one chip.

I had dark hero and have a Crosshair VIII extreme and I know for sure those voltages aren’t there when Cezanne cpu is installed though.

You can also tell because they are set through AMD Overclocking, but don’t show up in Ryzen Master or zentimings with Renoir or Cezanne.

On 9/9/2023 at 3:24 AM, Seby9123 said:

Renoir and Cezanne don’t have an IO die, it’s all one chip.

I had dark hero and have a Crosshair VIII extreme and I know for sure those voltages aren’t there when Cezanne cpu is installed though.

You can also tell because they are set through AMD Overclocking, but don’t show up in Ryzen Master or zentimings with Renoir or Cezanne.

Alright now it's starting to click with me, so non-APUs of any core count 3000 and 5000 series have these voltages but 4000 / 5000 series APUs don't. Anything to kill CB on those chips then besides blasting Vsoc?