HWBOT Community Forums

Did HWBot just get hacked??!!

davidm71_2

It would be the recommended way to instantly start with forensics on the server and get behind this issue. If HWBOT was indeed hacked, it's not only HWBOT's security that suffers, but also our own. Our mail addresses might be out floating around in the open, passwords might be compromised.

To kill this off without any research by stating that Norton got compromised is really not the right way to respond to this.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, _mat_ said:

It would be the recommended way to instantly start with forensics on the server and get behind this issue. If HWBOT was indeed hacked, it's not only HWBOT's security that suffers, but also our own. Our mail addresses might be out floating around in the open, passwords might be compromised.

To kill this off without any research by stating that Norton got compromised is really not the right way to respond to this.

This. Also going forwards there are free IDS systems that are fairly easy to set up. 

13 minutes ago, Splave said:

maybe he will forget to rebuy the domain and someone that gives a shit can take it over

Domains are renewed automatically each year. If the debt can not be paid, the domain provider can give it back to tld provider. Happens mostly on bankruptcy cases. ;)

Even then the domain will be flagged as deleted and enter a redemption phase of 30 days, where it can be bought back by the previous owner at any time (with extra fees).

An impeachment of Trump will be more likely.

• Haha 1

I've been contacted by a member that there was a norton lifelock alert for community.hwbot.org (not hwbot.org main site) this summer. If real (and I don't see why there would be false positives?), it means there was a vulnerability of Invision PowerBoard that got exploited. It's running an up-to-date version but it's not as if I check daily for new updates to install.

Community forums run on a separate server and a separate database. The server itself is only accessible using a private key, not with a username/password. I don't see any suspicious activity/traces on the community server, which is running a linux OS with 0 pending security patches. The database is not accessible from the outside world, only from within our Amazon VPC. We do take security seriously.

If invisionpb got hacked before they were able to send out a patch to customers, it sucks but little we could have done about it. We must assume that everyone using a community account should change their password ASAP. I'll make a news announcement.

If anyone can find more info about the community.hwbot.org data leak that'd be great. I have not found anything about this anywhere.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

especially

48 minutes ago, MrGenius said:

Smells like a pile of bullshit to me. I mean...is that all I have to do? Make a thread saying so and so told me HWBOT maybe got hacked...and everybody pushes the PANIC button. I'll remember for later...:rolleyes:

Any possible security event should be treated as if it has or had happened especially if it is the information of others.

@richba5tard is the server hosted on a box owned by hwbot or is it cloud hosed?

LMAO!!! Well...like any sane person these days...I have 2 step verification on EVERYTHING that matters. Hackers can go ahead and have my email address and all my passwords if they want. I seriously DO NOT GIVE A FLYING FUCK!!! What are they gonna do? Send me more spam email? Steal my HWBOT account? OH NOES!!! What will I do then?! ?

Edited by MrGenius
  • Sad 1

It might not be an issue for you, but sometimes users reuse passwords on several sites.Now assume that someone used the email+pw of his HwBot account for any crucial or sensitive account like onlinebanking, onlineshops or even paypal. That's why users must be informed when there *might* be a hack, just as a precaution.

I also assume that the admins reached back to the reporting user and asked for further data/proof or whatever.

Edited by Tzk