HWBOT Community Forums

'51' debug code - any fix or workaround?

Massman

So, I'm trying to get this G.SKILL Flare kit running above DDR3-2600C8 again on the gigabyte Z77X boards, but for some reason I'm getting this '51' debug code whenever I try to use the higher memory dividers.

I know this kit can do DDR3-2666C8 on air cooling on M5G (click) and it's also been running DDR3-2600 on the UD5H with S4 bios (click). Just flashed the S4 bios on the UD5H board again and anything above DDR3-2200 now results in a '51' debug code.

Yesterday, I ran this kit with the UD3H and got it to post over DDR3-2600 once. Saved the profile immediately afterwards and now loading the profile will result in '51' as well. Any ideas?

PS: as far as I know, '51' code means "51 - Memory initialization error. SPD reading has failed"

51code.jpg

FYI, got the board to pass '51' with 2600 divider by applying 1.9V.

Maybe that's what Stelaras was refering to as well when he wrote:

I tried the 2400 g.skill SPD on the Samsung low profile sticks but still can't post higher than 2200 .

Also , all my PSC sticks clock about 50 Mhz lower than Asus even with higher voltage.

For example ... Asus 2600Mhz 8-12-8 @ 1.83V ... Giga 2550Mhz 8-12-8 @ 1.90V

All the available subtimings are the same . Bios & memtweakit

Just tried F9e bios . It feels like it's a bit easier to boot with the 2600 divider and a pair of PI's .

All i had to do is to select the following timings : 8-12-8-28

TRFC : 96 ... TRRD 4 ... TWCL 8 ... TFAW 24 ... CMD 1T

I also relaxed all the tertiary timings that defaults to 3. Try a value of 5 .

Problem is that i still can't run 32m even with 1.85V . Getting to OS with 1.8v is easy .

The S4 bios is the worst of all . Can't even boot 2200Mhz with CL8 . CL9 helps , but only for 2200 . At 2400 nothing can make it post .

I lost the ability to boot 2600+ consistantly after migrating from f5. after going back to f5, flares boot 2600+ easily till the imc no longer cooperates.

about 51... sometimes the boards (both ud3 and ud5) will post a 51 after changing memory settings or turning off alot of unnecessary stuff. i KNOW i could boot before and would get 51 with a known good profile that worked for me before, i go into the bios after the failed mode then hit save and exit immediately. if im upping bclk from the 2400 divider to achieve 2600, a few things happen. #1, its alot easier. #2 the board will get to 96 then reboot again which is expected behavior. if I save and exit bios after applying the oc settings and i get 51 immediately, then I hit reset button. if it doesnt boot still i let it get to failed OC mode then save and exit.

whats the consensus on what "the best bios" is? f5 is the ONLY one that would cooperate well enough to bench with.

are you referring to the 2600 divider? im still trying to figure that one out. blue ripjaws 2600 divider is no problem. flares, it wont post.

*edit*

just booted 2600 divder first shot. its the same deal as on sandybridge. .49-.495 ratio to dram = better. brb with a pic. i cant find the exact settings in the manual so i will take a pic. this would explain the 1.9 sort of. my theory is @ 1.9 the voltage is at the "right" ratio. now, you can drop .1v and run 1.8 on those flares @ 2600 :D

there is alot of auto going on, this is just for 51 debuggin'

massman.jpg

to reiterate, i just used all of the steps mentioned to take this screen shot. hell, im posting here on the bot @ 2600 c8 right now. loaded up 2600, got 51, hit reset went into failed oc, save exit boot post to bot :)

Edited by zeneffect

How consistent is the workaround, Zeneffect?

Like I mentioned before, sometimes I can boot the 2600 divider without any issue as well. But even if I save the profile, loading it afterwards would result in a '51' anyway. The consistency of booting up with specific settings isn't right; at least on my two boards.

Tried your approach, btw. I don't get a '51' instantly, but it gets stuck to 15 for 2 reboots and then throws an OC failed error.

Just tried F9e bios . It feels like it's a bit easier to boot with the 2600 divider and a pair of PI's .

All i had to do is to select the following timings : 8-12-8-28

TRFC : 96 ... TRRD 4 ... TWCL 8 ... TFAW 24 ... CMD 1T

I also relaxed all the tertiary timings that defaults to 3. Try a value of 5 .

Problem is that i still can't run 32m even with 1.85V . Getting to OS with 1.8v is easy .

The S4 bios is the worst of all . Can't even boot 2200Mhz with CL8 . CL9 helps , but only for 2200 . At 2400 nothing can make it post .

These settings worked with msi GD65 Z77 board too. Auto settings were way too tight with G.Skill Flares. Now i just need to check how low latencys i can run these :)

Dont know how much these chips usually needs vccsa voltage for 2600MHz but mine seems to need 1.3v.. -.-

AUTO settings only got stuck at 55 postcode and trick above told didnt help for that.

I have gone back to a UD3H after benching on a GD65 for a while and am having the same issue. Binned all my ram on UD5H, none reached 2600 9-12-9 on air so I tossed them to a side, got a new kit and tried in the GD65 and 2600 9-12-9 1.8v 32m passing no issues, back to the UD3H and "51" error with 2600 multi or 2400 multi and bclk up to 2600. Tried up to 1.9v and no difference.

I tried adjusting the reference ram voltages to .89 - .895 but that hasn't helped, relaxed subtimings and still a no go. I'll have to setup my GD65, check subtimings and apply them to UD3H. Hopefully then I can boot at 2600.

FYI, got the board to pass '51' with 2600 divider by applying 1.9V.

Maybe that's what Stelaras was refering to as well when he wrote:

For what it is worth, I can confirm this...

I am running 1.83v on Extreme6, while UD5H takes 1.925-1.965v, various on the BIOS version.

Yes Pieter , you're correct . The error is always "51" .

Even with my low profile Samsung i get "51" when trying dividers higher than 2200 .

Oh man, please let me know how it goes, and how you suggest to fix it, I put them in the drawer straight away - I was trying to clock 4x4GB, and ran into a wall at exactly 1100mhz, I want to see if they can do 1400mhz..... If you have suggestions for work around I'll be one happy ginger!

if you cant get the same clocks with same hardware and bios/settings as before it must be contact issue or some part degrading. Try to use contact cleaner for DIMM slots and ram gold pins

Contact cleaner? Not used kneaded rubber or vaseline, could be IMC degrading, but doubt it.

• Crew

i never had issues with clocking samsung on UD5H or UD3H, both got same speeds up to 2800+. the GD65 was a little weaker for me with samsungs, even PSC it was a touch weaker.

however when i bench LN2 i get 51 often below -130 then i can only "bench" with 1 stick. tested 2 boards and 2 different CPU's.

i use vaseline in my slots. mebe i should clean a bit. Air is fine tho

i never had issues with clocking samsung on UD5H or UD3H, both got same speeds up to 2800+. the GD65 was a little weaker for me with samsungs, even PSC it was a touch weaker.

however when i bench LN2 i get 51 often below -130 then i can only "bench" with 1 stick. tested 2 boards and 2 different CPU's.

i use vaseline in my slots. mebe i should clean a bit. Air is fine tho

Which BIOS Goddy? Sounds pretty amazing to me... 'Unfortunately' my stick does not have XMP, as they are rated 12800 11-11-11-28... They are the Samsung ones :)

But, I cannot go past 1200mhz on the UD5H, higher = 51... 1100mhz with 4 sticks = 51