HWBOT Community Forums

R5: HWBot Marketplace

der8auer

Good idea. It is hard to sell extreme cooling equipment in forums, there would be more interest here due to critical mass.

If you do a marketplace here, you would save yourself a world of headaches by making it as premium of a service as possible... I have some experience in that. On Overclockers we only permit traders with at least 100 posts, and they must have ISP email. Why? Because that makes it quicker and easier to troll/con/rip someone off at any other forum but ours, and then we only are providing the service to the most loyal, trustworthy members.

If I were going to launch a classifieds section on HWBot, I would restrict access to the classifieds here based on post count in the forums and/or a certain number of hwboints. I would set the limit at something like 100 HWBoints. Yes, that would cut out a lot of legitimate members, but it would also almost completely cut out the riff-raff to ensure having the section isn't a management headache... Then the most dedicated hwbot members can trade in relative confidence that they are trading with someone who has an investment in the site, and is less likely to rip you off than someone just passing through. Making it premium/restrictive makes the section manage itself much more than it would otherwise, and also rewards/motivates more loyal members.

Edited by I.M.O.G.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good idea. It is hard to sell extreme cooling equipment in forums, there would be more interest here due to critical mass.

If you do a marketplace here, you would save yourself a world of headaches by making it as premium of a service as possible... I have some experience in that. On Overclockers we only permit traders with at least 100 posts, and they must have ISP email. Why? Because that makes it quicker and easier to troll/con/rip someone off at any other forum but ours, and then we only are providing the service to the most loyal, trustworthy members.

If I were going to launch a classifieds section on HWBot, I would restrict access to the classifieds here based on post count in the forums and/or a certain number of hwboints. I would set the limit at something like 100 HWBoints. Yes, that would cut out a lot of legitimate members, but it would also almost completely cut out the riff-raff to ensure having the section isn't a management headache... Then the most dedicated hwbot members can trade in relative confidence that they are trading with someone who has an investment in the site, and is less likely to rip you off than someone just passing through. Making it premium/restrictive makes the section manage itself much more than it would otherwise, and also rewards/motivates more loyal members.

Very good points.

"+rep" as they would've said at OCN:p

I think an open international market place is hard to handle as good as it sounds.

An area for "trusted sellers / shops" (however they are choosen but kingpincooling and der8auer's shop would be in for sure if you ask me) would be a good idea.

Why so?

We have an international classifieds section in XS, and after numerous trades (both domestic and international) I have yet to have a bad experience. Trade at your own risk sounds fair to me, along with a post count minimum.

Why so?

We have an international classifieds section in XS, and after numerous trades (both domestic and international) I have yet to have a bad experience. Trade at your own risk sounds fair to me, along with a post count minimum.

Classifieds staff knows more about problems than members.

Problems on ocf are rare. But I door knocked and repoed two items in the past year in Ohio. Not possible internationally.

We have around 100 sales open any given day, and have a dozen or so disputes we mediate annually.

Edited by I.M.O.G.

Classifieds staff knows more about problems than members.

Problems on ocf are rare. But I door knocked and repoed two items in the past year in Ohio. Not possible internationally.

We have around 100 sales open any given day, and have a dozen or so disputes we mediate annually.

Well of course disputes are going to occur, hence why trading at your own risk is advised.

IMHO if you as the seller don't do your home work on who your buyer is and what their trade history is than the repercussions of this are all yours to deal with (and vice versa as well)

I am sure the last thing the hwbot staff wants to do is police classified transactions and I understand this, hence why I stated it should be at the buyers/sellers risk.

Also a dozen or so transactions over a course of a year is pretty good considering the numbers of transactions (100+ a day) you are dealing with in your forums.

If this is seriously been considered... Awesome!

I'd seriously suggest checking out the full rules list for classified access over at OCF if HWBot is looking for a "template" so to speak.

You'd need to add some people who are trustworthy to the support staff here... Their job would be only to moderate the marketplace sections.

I realize I don't have much of a post count here... But the guys at OCF could vouch for my honesty.

I also have been a moderator of several sections (one being the Buy Sell and Trade section of the largest Radio Controlled based website on the net... http://www.rctech.net )

I do have a bit of experience basically... Just throwing out an offer to volunteer... I've got the time to do it since I'm at the computer 12-15 hours a day.

Edited by Convicted1

@ Sam: Yea that was the topic we talked about and he disagreed. But maybe we can change his opinion ;)

You can always try.

I like the idea of a marketplace, but moderating it is always a big problem. I really don't like the idea of HWBOT having to get involved into settling problems because of lousy sales. Not only because it's a lot of work and quite problematic given this is an international site, but also because I don't want people to associate HWBOT with bad marketplace.

There are some good suggestions in this thread, though, so my mind has not been made up yet. Convince me there's a way to do this without risking having to get involved in each deal :).

HWBOT should be merely a place to list those sales, not the shopping police.

If I buy or sale something that ends up DOA, how will bot make justice? You can't, and you shouldnt.

As for the international issue, that's why others have location tags. Ofc I won't start buying stuff from AUS unless I can afford shipping and the seller is commited to ship outside.

$0.50-nickleback

There are pretty good solutions to avoid trouble on a marketplace but they all come along with a lot of work.

The best solution I saw so far was on German forums where you had to email a copy of your ID card to a moderator to get access. They stored all the information so in case of a fraud they straight had access to personal information.

Plus there were tough requirements like 100 postings and 6 months registered.

Something like this makes it pretty safe and because they have to provide personal info nobody even tried to cheat.

The best solution I saw so far was on German forums where you had to email a copy of your ID card to a moderator to get access.

That's not much of a security feature tbh if you have access to other peoples ID card. (like myself). Some local forums use this at a seller-buyer level, but it's not something enforced.

We could do it this way:

Everyone uses it for advertizing only, like, make a topic, and post link to the FS thread(s). That way users here can search for items, but without involving HWBot directly.

I don't like this idea.

On most (if not all) outer forums you have to have special privileges to be able to see the ad in full (not everyone has their own site) so most of the time the negotiations will be made just via PM on hwbot forums. If that is to happen anyway, why not allow people post their ads here so there's at least some track of "who promised what to who" in case of possible issues?