HWBOT Community Forums

No competition for enthusiasts!

BOMBCAT

Hi guys, on hwbot there are a lot of enthusiast oc'ers, but the most of competitions "opened to everyone", in the end, are only for people who use extreme cooling !

3 kinds of competition:

•Pro

•"Everyone" (it's a joke!!!)

•New registered

I , as many other people , want to partecipate to competitions, but if there is not limitation of cooling we will remain cut off from the 99,99% of them !

Really Not bad !!!

I Hope something will change...

• Administrators

Seeing some of the results in enthusiast league, it will be very difficult to prove cooling used and apart from that, you make competition in winter, siberians go outside and bench on air or water with 100% alcohol in Radiator and will own us anyway :D - to be serious on the matter, I think enthusiast competitions will be very difficult, and air benchers could ask for watercoolers being left out, water coolers for guys using chillers being left out and so on.... difficult topic which raises verification and equality problems you do not have on full out comps

P.S. Low clock-challenges or comps with frequency caps and strict verification rules might be an opportunity, being listed in el myself, I don´t want to spoil the fun, but show the problems that would have to be solved to make el competitions work^^

Edited by websmile

Low clock-challenges or comps with frequency caps and strict verification rules might be an opportunity, being listed in el myself, I don´t want to spoil the fun, but show the problems that would have to be solved to make el competitions work^^
Simple :)

To eliminate cheating by downcloking, let only people with video verification be eligible for the prizes while the others only get "the fame".

I agree with Websmile when it comes to competitions involving money/prizes. General comps like the Warm Up round are in house a few points, bragging rights and supposed to be fun and personally don’t care if a cold climate dweller is willing to brave -20c, cause I’d being doing it if I could and if you can best -20c score, you can brag a little louder. Hardware and its location on a scale between gold - brown & fly infested probably has as much if not more impact than a cold climate, course cold and gold would be nice.

Mid fall/spring to cover both hemispheres, all outs for north/ south or latitude based for the equator crippled benchers that are probably ducting the AC to their setups.

Nice to see a thermometer showing ambient of the cooling hardware location in rig image.

I’d suggest showing BIOS cpu temp (Idle) but have a chip right now that loads 3c below ambient on stock volts (water) so could be a little misleading, MB temp might work better.

Very good point from Sam OCX

Edited by Aleslammer
Added last statement

but xtu excludes all amd-users, like some "rookies" complained ;)

a perfect enthusiast-challange isn´t possible.

i think the current warm-up challanges are ok for most overclockers. some might use ln2, but most (including me) don´t. it´s to expensive to waste it for old hardware like that.

3dmark13 too has the screen with cpu, gpu temps

it's necessary to enable in the page "help" -> "system info hardware monitoring"

and after bench in the screen iclude -> view run details

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/8610/ggd6.png

as you can see , cpu and gpu temps are included from 30 to 60 degrees

if this thing will be add on the screenshot rule for competition , 3dm13 could be used in competition for enthusiast !

make your conclusion...

imho this could be a way to validate a score in only enthusiast competition

temps can change in relation to the room temps, but should not to be too low of it...

and an other thing, there are no more cpu that on air cooling or liquid can finish a 3dmark with cpu frequency over 50-51x (ivy) or up 50-52(sandy)

3dmark13 too has the screen with cpu, gpu temps

it's necessary to enable in the page "help" -> "system info hardware monitoring"

and after bench in the screen iclude -> view run details

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/8610/ggd6.png

as you can see , cpu and gpu temps are included from 30 to 60 degrees

if this thing will be add on the screenshot rule for competition , 3dm13 could be used in competition for enthusiast !

make your conclusion...

imho this could be a way to validate a score in only enthusiast competition

temps can change in relation to the room temps, but should not to be too low of it...

and an other thing, there are no more cpu that on air cooling or liquid can finish a 3dmark with cpu frequency over 50-51x (ivy) or up 50-52(sandy)

Frequency limitations to work around the temperature monitoring issue is a bad idea. It goes against the idea of "pushing the system to the max" anyway.

I guess we can use 3DMark and Catzilla if we rely on external sources for verification. I think it's worth a shot!

I'm not talking about to set a limitation frequency (but it isn't a bad idea imho)

I'm talking about a physical auto-limitation of frequency that depends only from the cooling of hw...

50x is the ivy's "natural-physical" limit on bench 3d (dx10-11), we can only see a very little number of gold chip breaking aircooling-limit on 3d ...

And the result is comparable to sandy 52x (i'm talking about skt1155, and not skt2011)

We could start with competition for enthusiast category on these benchmark .

dividing competition in stage for socket ( 1155skt , skt2011, amd skt ) or vga classification ...

If it is necessary in rules we can add video of the benching rig and monitor ...

We have to make something for this big oc'ers' category of which we are part !

That's the only way to enjoy ourselves , and to make fun something boring...

It's not so easy but we have to try ...

• 2 weeks later...

The arguments against enthusiast cooling competition are wrong.Some of the best oc-ers from enthusiast league are not living in Siberia or areas with cold temperatures.If you want to to something,to have good results there are many other factors which will be decisive in winning an enthusiast competition.

I am living in Cyprus,the coldest temperature in here in the last 4 years was 5 degrees Celsius(in my town).This doesn't mean i cannot oc anymore,or have good results.

There are solutions to get under 0 degrees for watercoolers,without waterchillers,peltiers or other forbiden stuff for the enthusiast league.

With a submersive waterpump which you can put in a bucket and add antigel + ice cubes(from the freezer) you can obtain temperatures up to -17 degrees Celsius(depends also on the ambient temperature).

Basically the idea is,if you want good scores you can obtain them even without cheating.

For doubtful submission you can ask for a video in which it shows a similar result and you can see as well the cooling used.This will apply for unbelievable scores,obtained by newbies,not for people which already proved in time what they can do,as poparamiro ,for example.

In a competition with a rule telling "video required for result validation / cooling control "

You could be the Pope or the USA president or the unknown poor from the moon... but you have to post a video to validate your result in that competition...

There is no space for outlower or famous people ...

Everyone is on the ssme plane of everybody...

If you're interested only to make the best score , in every way , you can do it , but out ftom the competition... you can submit your result as a common/ non-competition submission