HWBOT Community Forums

Cooling type

Hi,

Recently I've started to use my water chiller and plan to bench all my VGAs from popular models like 4850, 4870, 4890, GTX280, GTX275, 8800GT, 8800GTS, etc.

With a HD4850 at 1.6V and gpu at 1050+, the idle temperature is about -5 at max (according to VGA sensor) and with heavy load goes a little above 0. With a non-modded GTX970 @ 1610 it goes up to 6C. Just to give you an idea about usual temps.

Currently I have the cooling type set to H2O. Is this the correct category or does TEC seem better? Although it's not a TEC.

Edited by I.nfraR.ed

Hi,

Recently I've started to use my water chiller and plan to bench all my VGAs from popular models like 4850, 4870, 4890, GTX280, GTX275, 8800GT, 8800GTS, etc.

With a HD4850 at 1.6V and gpu at 1050+, the idle temperature is about -5 at max (according to VGA sensor) and with heavy load goes a little above 0. With a non-modded GTX970 @ 1610 it goes up to 6C. Just to give you an idea about usual temps.

Currently I have the cooling type set to H2O. Is this the correct category or does TEC seem better? Although it's not a TEC.

Water is water. ;)

I have to sell all this watercooling stuf and get one of those Hailea chillers ,it's useless to compete against these with wc only.

Btw,is any chiller allowed ?

I mean,if i can find one which keeps 350w at -40 in Load is fair/correct/allowed to participate in Enthusiast with it ?

It will not have water inside,mostly 99% alcohol,but still a fluid :)) and still a chiller.

Edited by suzuki

I'm in Extreme, yes. I just can't afford so much LN2 for all these cards, so I'm going to bench with SS on cpu and chiller on VGA's, or switch them for some of the benches.

It's not ideal solution, but still not bad and with a good card I would be able to get into top-3 or top-5 in some categories.

Infrared is in extreme league, I think, so it doesn't afect you suzuki. The problem is with the guys that are benching using water chillers, and they are in enthusiast league.

It's not a problem. Proving they're using it is. That's why I said " water is water".

If you can't compete with the guys that run chillers....you run a chiller. It's water. ;)

With some 4790k you can bench ~5700 legacy benchmarks on chiller,it will be strange :)). Feels like cheating.

I get that, but you already notice other subs like that, so you know they're doing it. When in Rome.......

It's impossible to prove under the current structure and format.

• Crew

I.nfraR.ed, just to make it clear - what's the temp of the cooling? I mean - is it really water and -5 is bugged or is it liquid and the coolant is below zero?

As for me it's the zero Celcius that differs cryo from usual H2O.

image_id_928346.jpeg

The reason why I don't understand chillers :D

Coolant is distilled water and antifreeze, the chiller is a modded Hailea, so it can run at 100% all the time, but it is a rather weak unit.

I don't know the exact temperature of the coolant, because I don't have a probe in the loop.

It's below zero when idle, but not much, I think. Not even close to SS temps.

The original controller allows temperature down to 4C, but I have attached an external sensor to fool the controller that it never reaches the desired temp, thus running at full speed all the time.

I have to sell all this watercooling stuf and get one of those Hailea chillers ,it's useless to compete against these with wc only.

Btw,is any chiller allowed ?

I mean,if i can find one which keeps 350w at -40 in Load is fair/correct/allowed to participate in Enthusiast with it ?

It will not have water inside,mostly 99% alcohol,but still a fluid :)) and still a chiller.

I can relate.

Once I was experimenting with using DICE like ice cubes in my coolant, took about ½ of a bottle of left-over everclear and some anti-freeze to keep it from freezing. Had some nice coolant temps going but worked the hell out of my pump with it trying to slush up.

I believe temps were in the -30c range before it actually began freezing up so controlled it with the amount of DICE I added. Was an interesting experiment and showed me how difficult it is to have liquid cooling with sub-zero temps but it is possible.

Is it still water?

I guess but then again with all the other stuff..... Especially the everclear.

waterchiller -it´s a PHASE CHANGE unit ! use a refrigerant compressor , condenser , expansion valve ( cap tube or TEV) , and vaporizator( platte HX - heat exchanger) so this is a EXTREME cooling 100000000%% , that water is cooled by refrigerant unit ..make temperature exchange refrigerant / chilledwater!!! it´s NOT dependent of ambiental temperature like "normal" water.

so my question here is: IF i use a LN2 pot, mount a waterblock on his BASE , and this water block is allready introduced in my waterloop ( don´t need anymore the radiator and fans :) , just 2 or more waterblock´s), and then i cooled the pot with LN2/ DICE , that will make heat exchange POT vs waterblock , it is entuziast leaque aswell?? =))) because i use water...like people said above !! BUT this water is NOT anymore dependent of ambiental temperature!! like should be in enthuziast leaque!!

if i had a winter with -20-30 * and bench outside with my waterloop, use proper cooling liquid ( antifreeze) in this case is NORMAL for enthuziast leaque -because the water is cooled natural form nature and like i said above -cooling dependent of ambiental temperature!!

Edited by nachtfalke

Basically, the people who use chillers should be in extreme league. I think everyone on hwbot knows that. But where are people who use chillers and still in enthusiast league. A picture with the system should be one of the rules (as it was before), but it will still not solve many things.

infrared - can you post some pictures with the mode done and what type of hailea you have ?

I found a local hailea waterchiller,hc300A and i wonder if it's worth 125 euro :).

I've just removed front cover and disconnected the probe which goes to the water tank, then connected another standard sensor to the controller.