HWBOT Community Forums

Hd 3870x2

bazx

Should the HD3870X2 = single card or CF/SLI rankings?  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Should the HD3870X2 = single card or CF/SLI rankings?

• single! It is a single card that uses one socket, so it should be treated like one.
    • sli/crossfire! It may be a single card, it uses crossfire to put 2 cores on a single pcb.

I don't have anything against a vote, but I don't think we need to make this bigger than it is. I have asked some MSN-contacts what their opinion is and it seems that most see this as single card and have no problem with it being dealed with as single card.

Don't get me wrong, if really necessary, I'll create a poll and see what the outcome is, but I don't know if it's necessary to take this frontpage news?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have anything against a vote, but I don't think we need to make this bigger than it is. I have asked some MSN-contacts what their opinion is and it seems that most see this as single card and have no problem with it being dealed with as single card.

Don't get me wrong, if really necessary, I'll create a poll and see what the outcome is, but I don't know if it's necessary to take this frontpage news?

Front page news was a suggestion in order to draw in the number of people (2/3 of members) that you were requiring to get a good idea of their opinions, obviously this is completely your choice.

I think that vote might be a good idea anyway, just out of curiosity.

If the decision is to leave things how they stand then fair enough. Obviously a decision i don't agree with, but hey, that's life! :)

Keep up the good work Massman and co. :)

Old technology, no improvement in any part of it. Doubled up to perform like CF, using Crossfire onboard. Without Crossfire, that card wouldnt be performing how it is.

If it was new architecture that performed like that, I wouldnt mind at all. Even if it was a native dual-core in one die.

Thats why I voted the way I did :)

K

I have watched this post with interest as it is an interesting debate with good discussion points on both sides.

I have to say that the only way 2gpu's should ever be considered single performance is if they were on one die (dual core but single GPU) and if there were two of them then it would be SLI or multi gpu - as this would be a evolutional path of GPU's in the same way as dual/quad core cpus have progressed.

To me its simple:

The HWBOT system should be based on the number of GPU's, not how many slots are used.

OR

The current technologies found in x2 and GX2 graphics cards are all multi GPU solutions with a SLI/Crossfire chipset installed (not built into the GPU's) - therefore, at best (given that they still have to split x16 PCI-E Slot into two 8x slots which may be hit performance) they should be considered as 'hybrid' SLI/Crossfire set-ups.

Slightly off topic - looking at the scores the new generation of X2 and GX2 GPU's bring, all the hype around how important it was to go from x8 to x16 PCI-E for bandwidth issues was a total crock.

Old technology, no improvement in any part of it. Doubled up to perform like CF, using Crossfire onboard. Without Crossfire, that card wouldnt be performing how it is.

If it was new architecture that performed like that, I wouldnt mind at all. Even if it was a native dual-core in one die.

Thats why I voted the way I did :)

K

QFT IMO.

100% Agree K404. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nazar

If 7950GX2 was at single category, it is no doubt 3870X2 should remain as a single card.

There is a well-known saying..."To cut off your nose to spite your face".

There's no point repeating a decision from the past just because you made a (potentially wrong) decision in the past.

I agree with rich here.

Just to say that it was not brought up as an issue before - does not mean it's not an issue and yes 7950GX2 should be added to the list of hyrbid SLI or multi GPU graphics cards.

# of GPU's on board is the only way to score this fairly :)

It always been like this, bazx. The fastest card is at the top... no-one complained when the 8800U ruled the rankings.

Yeah, but the Ultra has 1 chip. I dont mind whos ruling the rankings as long as its one chip.

Why not put 2 Ultras as one card? ;/

2 chips are 2 chips. Who cares about the slots?

So if hypotheticaly they release 1 graphic card with half chipset and you use 2 of them to have 1, it ll be multiple cards? No, it will act as one.

I actually think the two core cards should probably have their own hybrid (freak) ranking. As they are technically SLI/ Crossfire, the hardware and software officially call them that, so they are that.

However, they fit in one physical slot so they don't really fit in either category; but I personally feel that eveidence shows that they are closer to SLI/CF than single in hardware and performance so have voted that way :)

according to me the card is single.

I think is correct to consider only the numbers of slot used

(and no matter if actually I made some WR....everyone with that card can do it..:))

i think is just a generation change, as happened with conroe vs. AmD64 or similar

As I stated in the comments it should be considered single. The performance of this card and 3870's in crossfire is differant. If they where identical clock for clock then maybe it should be considered crossfire. Changing the rules this late in the game would be a slap in the face to anyone purchasing one of these due to the results they where getting.

Hard to judge..

But single and dual-core CPUs are also not splitted @ Pi / wPrime / PiFast...

So, single slot, single card...

In reply to your post, I quote my reply earlier in the thread in relation to the 7950GX2.

r1ch;15440']
If 7950GX2 was at single category' date=' it is no doubt 3870X2 should remain as a single card.[/quote']

There is a well-known saying..."To cut off your nose to spite your face".

There's no point repeating a decision from the past just because you made a (potentially wrong) decision in the past.

I fully stand by this statement. Just because something happened one way in the past, it doesn't mean it's automatically right. It may well have been the correct decision at the time, but now may be better to proceed in another direction.

That being said, look at what rich has already said about the CPU side of things....

Splitting up single/multi sockets cpu's is planned, k404.

If the fact that the CPU section isn't divided up was the sole justification for your point of view, then you obviously need to think again.

I agree if we divide up the CPUs, and then the GPUs as well, I agree it starts to become a royal PITA with regard to coding, points allocation etc etc, but IMO that would be the fairest way to do it.

It's obvious that this is all about hwboints and awards. Ultimately, those with the card are going to vote to keep it in the single category, as they can rack up the points by using a dual gpu card to get easy points at the top...you just need to look at some of the people who've voted to keep it in the single card category to notice that.

I'm gonna be watching the votes on this with interest, and let's see where it gets to in a few days. :)

r1ch;15539']

I agree if we divide up the CPUs' date=' and then the GPUs as well, I agree it starts to become a royal PITA with regard to coding, points allocation etc etc, but IMO that would be the fairest way to do it.

[/quote']

Yes and no. We are planning to divide cpu by number of sockets used, not number of cores. :)

As I stated in the comments it should be considered single. The performance of this card and 3870's in crossfire is differant. If they where identical clock for clock then maybe it should be considered crossfire. Changing the rules this late in the game would be a slap in the face to anyone purchasing one of these due to the results they where getting.

I cannot agree with you any more and indeed imo its true what stummerwinter says.. Its the same about cpus...

Keep pushing it...

Best Regards.

IMHO it's single card all the way up, i already posted my pov in the other thread also

if you guys change it to CF/SLI rankings, then a lot of rankings should be altered aswell, I.E. 1x 2x and 4x cores in a chip in wprime and so on...

it's a new "generation" not itself as it's the same core as the 3870 , but ATI did their job implementing with success a hardware CF into a single PCB card, so it's single card in all terms, only it is dual core, why anyone complained about the 7950GX2? it's not only one but TWO PCBs for a card

it's moore law and nothing can be done for that, next gen of ATI/nVidia will kill the 3870X2 for sure, so why bother :)

saludos!

edit, lol it's indeed in this thread where i posted :P