HWBOT Community Forums

Old School is Best School - Season 2?

Massman

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just want to make a comment or two about this competition, not sure if this the place or not, but here goes.

First, absolutely love the idea of this competition but here is my criticisms.

The stages are very, very specific. This is probably the thing, next to time available, that kept me from even participating. Strictly in my opinion, a stage like 6600GT SLI or a specific chipset on Socket 462 is too narrow or specific to get widespread participation.

The stages have two different sets of requirements, the rounds only have 2 stages (which I like) but each stage has different hardware requirements. Wouldn't it be easier for guys that want to participate to not have to buy/find two sets of hardware?

Not a huge fan of the staggered rounds, I don't know why, just it messes with my own internal organization. For me at least, it takes away from the round ending, excitement for new round feel, but might just be me.

That's my comments on the first Season, wish I could have participated more but couldn't find the time to get it done. Hope to see this return!

The stages are very, very specific

I would guess this was done deliberately in order to try to prevent the same boring ol' crew from winning round after round due to being unable to meet all hardware requirements. Unfortunately, it didn't work out that way. So I'd agree - less specificity might encourage broader participation.

That's my comments on the first Season, wish I could have participated more but couldn't find the time to get it done. Hope to see this return!

A hearty +1. Hope I can play with you guys more in Season 2.

I just want to make a comment or two about this competition, not sure if this the place or not, but here goes.

First, absolutely love the idea of this competition but here is my criticisms.

The stages are very, very specific. This is probably the thing, next to time available, that kept me from even participating. Strictly in my opinion, a stage like 6600GT SLI or a specific chipset on Socket 462 is too narrow or specific to get widespread participation.

The stages have two different sets of requirements, the rounds only have 2 stages (which I like) but each stage has different hardware requirements. Wouldn't it be easier for guys that want to participate to not have to buy/find two sets of hardware?

Not a huge fan of the staggered rounds, I don't know why, just it messes with my own internal organization. For me at least, it takes away from the round ending, excitement for new round feel, but might just be me.

I agree to some points and disagree with others. Like I really liked how specific it was, but I do agree with the point about one platform (Socket or depending on first stage even motherboard) for the whole stage would be great as old CPUs and GPUs are cheap and easy to buy but good old motherboards are a pain to find.

As an example of a future season, stage one could be gpupi on a socket 370 celeron, and the other part could be 3dmark01 with socket 370, free to choise CPU and a geforce4 MX gpu.

Then stage two could be socket 754 memory test and a gpu test and so on.

There were some really fun stages back in the 2014 Team cup like the %OC records which were really fun.

On a constructive note I do agree with keeping the restricions on 2D stages to socket type only, with Ram OC then clearly ram type etc.. It's all very well and good wanting to compete in a socket 462 stage with your Athlon XP, but 90% of the people who bench that kind of hardware would have an NF2 board ready to go, not a single channel VIA chipset.

I think for the platform to continue and succeed you need to make stages that will be highly competitive and that means having as many people involved as possible. That kinda goes with my point earlier about making the competition accesable to all.

I want to see Socket 423 and Slot A :)

I know it is mostly about hardware, but it would also be cool to see a stage like highest 3DMark2001 score on Windows 98. Then it'll be fun just to see what everyone used :)

Could also be fun to run benchmarks only on hardware released a specific year (mainly MB, CPU and GFX) so you get a true 1999 computer for instance.

And I both agree and disagree about having the stage as general as possible. If you have the stages too general, there is no challenge, everyone has already benched it so they just repeat what they already has done. It's more fun with more uncommon combinations that actually requires some investigating and testing. I mean, socket A and nforce2? That's kind of boring ;)

Also, if you decide on a hardware/benchmark combo which have no result in the DB, please check if it's even doable first.

Slot's, A or 1 is good.

Dual 462's?

The Nvidia Forever contest a few years ago was highly enjoyable. Something along those lines maybe?

Just throwing some random stuff out there. :)

always open for insipration but couldnt find anything about this Nvidia forever contest, mind telling more about it?

EDIT: Think I found what you refered to, the team cup 2012 :)

Edited by lanbonden

always open for insipration but couldnt find anything about this Nvidia forever contest, mind telling more about it?

EDIT: Think I found what you refered to, the team cup 2012 :)

Geforce history tour. Yes, part of TC 2012.

The RIP Abit contest was great too.

Edited by Mr.Scott

That sounds pretty interesting!

Thats very much along the lines of what I was thinking. If its 5 stages it fits pretty good with the five 3dmarks thats runs on this old hardware. So limit the hardware to stuff released before that date, would also be fun to see if I can dig out some early worldrecord presented by some overclocker back at launch just for show and to try and beat :)

3DMark99 MAX March 8, 1999 (October 26, 1998 for the none MAX version)

3DMark2000 December 6, 1999

3DMark2001 SE February 12, 2002 (March 13, 2001 for the regular 2001 version)

3DMark03 February 11, 2003

3DMark05 September 29, 2004

Then for the second stage some 2dmark/frequency/memory test on a suitable platform from that era, this would also be a great time to revissit those sockets that seen no love in the past competitions like Socket A, socket 423 and Socket 754

Dual 462's?

I think, that DUAL boards belong to server segment, and not many people have them, also it is hard to overclock them.

In whole, season 2 is good Idea. But all tests must be actually corrected, In 5 stage of 1-st competition we have strange round - Super Pi32 on Socket 3 platform, Socket 3 is very interesting platform but this test is non corrected imho, 1M will be enough, but 32M on that moment, there is no any result.

I think, that DUAL boards belong to server segment, and not many people have them, also it is hard to overclock them.

It's no harder to OC them than anything else, trick it to get the right pieces and figure out how to tweak them, just like all the rest.

As for availability, I can't participate in the majority of comps hosted here because I don't have/can't get the "Correct" pieces needed but I'm not complaining about it so much - Again it's the same as it's been with other comps.

In whole, season 2 is good Idea. But all tests must be actually corrected, In 5 stage of 1-st competition we have strange round - Super Pi32 on Socket 3 platform, Socket 3 is very interesting platform but this test is non corrected imho, 1M will be enough, but 32M on that moment, there is no any result.

I don't know who decided what and maybe that was a bit of a goof but the oddity of it is part of the challenge in the first place. :o

I don't mind trying something that's off the wall just to see if I can even do it.

However I do agree it has to be rooted in reality as in whether or not it's feasable.

I did host a comp once that had PI Fast running with 18 iterations instead of the usual 6, that made it more of a stability run like 32M Super PI. Also capped the speed at 2800MHz to make it a real challenge for tweaking RAM to get the best results and it was based on Socket 939, hence the 2800MHz cap.

Comps can be done in many different ways, the challenge is to dream it in the first place and come up with a workable format to make it a reality.

Edited by Bones