HWBOT Community Forums

Using phase change to pre cool ln2 pot.

just a thought or suggestion

why cant you have your pot insulated and ready to mount, then whack it in the freezer for an hour or so, that should take it to -10c at least,  my freezer goes to -20c easily, have your system all ready prior to that for boot up , wipe the bottom clean, paste the cpu , fit the pot ,boot then  ln2, the pot has enough residual cold in it for the cpu to draw on so no harm will come to it on boot up

• Thanks 1

If you have a head on the cascade that's small enough to go inside the pot it could work. If you're really that limited for LN2 I'd also suggest getting the most economical pot possible - i.e. stay away from F1 and T-Rex, something like a Venom or homemade pot would be better. Also learn the best pouring / glazing techniques.

2 hours ago, ozzie said:

just a thought or suggestion

why cant you have your pot insulated and ready to mount, then whack it in the freezer for an hour or so, that should take it to -10c at least,  my freezer goes to -20c easily, have your system all ready prior to that for boot up , wipe the bottom clean, paste the cpu , fit the pot ,boot then  ln2, the pot has enough residual cold in it for the cpu to draw on so no harm will come to it on boot up

Won't work properly - water condensates quickly and one can't wipe it completely.

that depends on your ambient temperature at the time, a high ambient , sure you "could" run into this issue, all that has to be wiped is the pot base, if your board is set ready to go, you apply the paste to cpu , then straight from the freezer , wiped pot base and mount the pot i see no reason for condensation have the time to form , what a couple of minutes at most to  mount and set the pot , boot then apply ln2, it will work :)

• 5 months later...
Just now, l0ud_sil3nc3 said:

This is counterintuitive to use a better cooling method to cool a worse cooling method. If your going to use phase use phase, and if your going to use LN2 just use LN2.

Only person I have seen do this or something is similar is @FUGGER, and I always wondered why when he had the best LN2 price at the time ($0.38 a liter).

More of a stupid thought than something I plan on doing but getting a pot down 130c bellow ambient would save a lot of ln2 for a heavy pot. I was paying 10$L for ln2 before so it would have made a big difference but I am getting it for 1.20L now 

58 minutes ago, Mythical tech said:

More of a stupid thought than something I plan on doing but getting a pot down 130c bellow ambient would save a lot of ln2 for a heavy pot. I was paying 10$L for ln2 before so it would have made a big difference but I am getting it for 1.20L now 

Pot really depends on the platform your benching, but paying $10/liter is just getting ripped off. That's the highest I've ever heard of anyone paying for a liter. Glad to hear you're at a much lower price now :)

I've not touched the phase since I went LN2 and have no desire to mess with it. It's loud, hot and provides temps that are really only good for alleviating IMC strain for binning memory. For benching competitively it's useless.

Just now, l0ud_sil3nc3 said:

Pot really depends on the platform your benching, but paying $10/liter is just getting ripped off. That's the highest I've ever heard of anyone paying for a liter. Glad to hear you're at a much lower price now :)

I've not touched the phase since I went LN2 and have no desire to mess with it. It's loud, hot and provides temps that are really only good for alleviating IMC strain for binning memory. For benching competitively it's useless.

I never actually paid 10$ that is just what airgas quoted me originally. The local welding shop just reopened so cheaper ln2 is now available to me again. 

1 minute ago, Mythical tech said:

I never actually paid 10$ that is just what airgas quoted me originally. The local welding shop just reopened so cheaper ln2 is now available to me again. 

Understand, I think MikeG had a receipt uploaded from Airgas showing $0.38 floating around here somewhere maybe try to find it and get your price dropped even lower.

7 minutes ago, l0ud_sil3nc3 said:

Understand, I think MikeG had a receipt uploaded from Airgas showing $0.38 floating around here somewhere maybe try to find it and get your price dropped even lower.

Funsoul gave me a few receipts for less than a dollar but my local airgas refused to match any price and they said the lowest price they could do was 8$L if I got 100+L

Ah, what would make more sense for me going on this idea is to have a "cascade" (or SS depending how you want to call it) where you have a single compressed stage, and basically one stage is a ln2 pot to cool the other stage for sub ln2 temps. it may be cheaper than lhe if the system is durable enough for binning so perhaps could be worth for max freq valid or something.

21 minutes ago, dumo said:

Just make it simple.

Use phase to bin rams, get to know your cpu imc and at the same time try to find basic mobo settings for specific bench...Then go all out with ln2

I find phase really useful for 775 and haswell because it is so close to the cold bug you can find the max of the chip fairly reliably for less money than getting ln2 to do testing. It is also nice to run the cpu on cascade or single stage to do testing with gpus on dice or ln2 to get a feeling for the gpu without having to worry about they cpu 

8 hours ago, Splave said:

spend $1k+ to have someone build you an SS that does -100c so you can use 20L of ln2 at a time does not sound like a good idea. hunt around and you will find Ln2 cheaper, tell them whats its for and you are a hobbyist. 

A SS that does -100c ??  A cascade will set you back a few thousand

I didn't push that it was practical, just possible.

Edited by FUGGER