HWBOT Community Forums

The official Country Cup 2019 - 10th Anniversary Edition thread.

jpmboy

3 hours ago, yosarianilives said:

I mean the theme of this comp is if it's not explicitly disallowed it's probably allowed. And so if the socket that it's registered in on the db is allowed and the arch is allowed I don't see any reason it wouldn't be allowed but leeg would need to confirm.

When did anyone say that was the "theme of the comp"?

It's an attitude some people take and push, no more than that.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2019 at 4:42 AM, mickulty said:

When did anyone say that was the "theme of the comp"?

It's an attitude some people take and push, no more than that.

he always pushes and takes, hes got more moves than a kid in a lollie shop that keeps annoying the shit out of his mum , i want this i want that, here have this then, no i dont want that, i want the other one ?

4 hours ago, yosarianilives said:

@Leeghoofd Notice a bug in the configuration for ref clock stage, lga 1151 v1=v2 is not working. Haven't checked other countries but team USA has both a z270 and a z370 score counting towards our total. https://hwbot.org/search/submissions/permalink?ids=4291784,4293088,4272691,4271794

There are a bunch of non-lga 1151 subs by other teams.

• Confused 1

• Crew
15 hours ago, Shik said:

Hello. Could anyone clarify if there is any division by socket for stage 6 (R15)? 
If no, same question for CPU (eg. 3600, 3600x, 3700x, 3800x would be ok for this stage?)

No socket division, CPU needs to be an AMD, that's all. Remember it is the single core bench that needs to be run

On 11/24/2019 at 5:50 PM, e_junkie said:

Thank you very much. I have a picture attached to my ZOTAC GT 520 PCI. Is that okay? The memory manufacturer and the size may vary.

ZOTAC_GT520_PCI.PNG

On 11/25/2019 at 8:35 PM, TerraRaptor said:

Riva should detect pci I think

So I'm thinking over how the driver seems to handle seeing a PCI card with a bridge chip as just a PCIE card, and it makes me wonder purely hypothetically could you bypass the bridge chip at the hardware level and go directly to PCIe with essentially the PCI or AGP bus hanging to the side as almost a vestigial bus. While I don't expect or plan on seeing this during the comp it could in theory be possible and would raise the question of if it's even still an AGP or PCI card since you've bypassed the PCI/AGP portion of the card. I'd think at first it would be like a cpu adapter where the cpu is still treated as it's original socket, but you're not converting from AGP/PCI to PCIE, you're preventing a conversion from PCIE to AGP/PCI. 

But if we say that bypassing the pcb level adapter makes it no longer an AGP/PCI card then can we even say it was a AGP/PCI card to begin with as it's just an adapter built into the card to go from PCIE to the intended bus in basically the same way the interposers for mobile haswell chips bring them to desktop sockets.

I suppose this has no relevance to the current comp anymore,especially since nobody is going to risk a rare gpu to try this myself included, but reading back through the discussion kinda brought up a head twist.

I REPEAT, THIS IS NOT A LOOPHOLE GOD DAMMIT! SO PEOPLE DON'T FUCKING CUSS ME OUT FOR THIS SHIT

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, yosarianilives said:

So I'm thinking over how the driver seems to handle seeing a PCI card with a bridge chip as just a PCIE card, and it makes me wonder purely hypothetically could you bypass the bridge chip at the hardware level and go directly to PCIe with essentially the PCI or AGP bus hanging to the side as almost a vestigial bus. While I don't expect or plan on seeing this during the comp it could in theory be possible and would raise the question of if it's even still an AGP or PCI card since you've bypassed the PCI/AGP portion of the card. I'd think at first it would be like a cpu adapter where the cpu is still treated as it's original socket, but you're not converting from AGP/PCI to PCIE, you're preventing a conversion from PCIE to AGP/PCI. 

But if we say that bypassing the pcb level adapter makes it no longer an AGP/PCI card then can we even say it was a AGP/PCI card to begin with as it's just an adapter built into the card to go from PCIE to the intended bus in basically the same way the interposers for mobile haswell chips bring them to desktop sockets.

I suppose this has no relevance to the current comp anymore,especially since nobody is going to risk a rare gpu to try this myself included, but reading back through the discussion kinda brought up a head twist.

I REPEAT, THIS IS NOT A LOOPHOLE GOD DAMMIT! SO PEOPLE DON'T FUCKING CUSS ME OUT FOR THIS SHIT

https://xkcd.com/2129/

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mickulty said:

If you want to make it relevant then just look at the question as "Should we treat non native AGP/PCI as AGP/PCI". Which if treated like cpus the answer would be no, as when cpus run non native sockets (771 in 775, 479 in 278, haswell bga on lga 1150, etc) they get treated as the native socket not the one which they were actually run on.

However historically this has not been the case for non native gpus, personally I think they should be left as AGP or PCI if that's the out of the box configuration as at this point it would piss off too many people to change it to the native socket. But are they really any different than lga 771 cpus that have the pad mod soldered on and edges cut so they fit into a 775 board with zero modifications? Or the haswell chips with the conversion from BGA to LGA soldered on?

13 hours ago, yosarianilives said:

If you want to make it relevant then just look at the question as "Should we treat non native AGP/PCI as AGP/PCI". Which if treated like cpus the answer would be no, as when cpus run non native sockets (771 in 775, 479 in 278, haswell bga on lga 1150, etc) they get treated as the native socket not the one which they were actually run on.

However historically this has not been the case for non native gpus, personally I think they should be left as AGP or PCI if that's the out of the box configuration as at this point it would piss off too many people to change it to the native socket. But are they really any different than lga 771 cpus that have the pad mod soldered on and edges cut so they fit into a 775 board with zero modifications? Or the haswell chips with the conversion from BGA to LGA soldered on?

Retail hardware is treated as a 'black box', and post-retail modifications aren't treated as changing what the hardware is (this also goes for unlocking 6950s, 290s, furies, X800 Pro VIVOs etc even if the unlocked 290 is 'effectively' a 290X in basically every way).

The real peculiarity is the BGA to LGA chips, there might be a case for them getting their own hardware category if "dodgy ebay/aliexpress seller" can be counted as "retail", whereas currently it seems to have defaulted to them being treated as a socket adapter with added convinience.

41 minutes ago, mickulty said:

Retail hardware is treated as a 'black box', and post-retail modifications aren't treated as changing what the hardware is (this also goes for unlocking 6950s, 290s, furies, X800 Pro VIVOs etc even if the unlocked 290 is 'effectively' a 290X in basically every way).

The real peculiarity is the BGA to LGA chips, there might be a case for them getting their own hardware category if "dodgy ebay/aliexpress seller" can be counted as "retail", whereas currently it seems to have defaulted to them being treated as a socket adapter with added convinience.

That's a fair stance, which also brings up the question of the "semi professional" chinese companies that make the permanently modded to lga 775 server chips although that probably will be left cause it's would be way too confusing with rankings.

But ig to go back to my original question, if I mod an AGP or PCI to be natively PCIe it would have a huge advantage, especially on PCI but it would still be an AGP/PCI card because that's how it shipped retail.

How about people just buy retail products, and just run the freakin things like they are designed to. No modding, no stuffing around. Plug the damn thing in, press the run benchmark button and stop complicating shit that shouldn’t be complicated. Jeeeeeebus 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KaRtA said:

How about people just buy retail products, and just run the freakin things like they are designed to. No modding, no stuffing around. Plug the damn thing in, press the run benchmark button and stop complicating shit that shouldn’t be complicated. Jeeeeeebus 

Yes, agreed people should buy retail products and run them they way they were meant. At stock.