HWBOT Community Forums

The big MSI MOA 2011 thread: information, videos, comments and more ...

Massman

Actually :) I will be livestreaming, was going to talk to the people from Sweeden this weekend :) Was thinking on a nordic only livestream so that we can follow specific persons better than normal.

ME4ME please throw me a pm :)

That would indeed be fail.

If MSI is having doubt about the bandwidth, and invited a media only for the purpose of live streaming, two seats covered with expenses, and then - another media, without experience in streaming, as being a mainly written media gets to use bandwidth for streaming....

Would make very little sense.

Oh and for the love of this thread, I think I'll start some of that lovely music, you guys got such a nice taste!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Crew

Okay so let's get to the details about the livestream problem here.

The problem is that for now MSI has not been capable of confirming the "on stage" bandwidth uplaod speed.

Livestreaming is not the problem but if the bandwidth sucks, it's going to take all of it and for the rest of the people behind (all the press etc) there will be no more.

This is a very selfish attitude in my view.

At the beginning we had internally planned to do a big show like GOOC Eu last year if you remember. Inviting guest having discussions live etc. A real show, not just a camera.

But the problem is that without bandwidth confirmation, we cannot afford to work 2 weeks to prepare a show that could fail because of low internet.

So OCTV policy is this (it has always been the policy for the past events): if there is no "reserved" bandwidth for stream, well then no-stream. We are in 2011, if it's not possible to have a proper internet for one day, well then too bad. But the problem is not here I suppose. It's for most of the time a problem of "priority" from the Vendors that don't want to invest the little more money necessary for it.

... This is why we need your support. There will be probably no stream from us in Istanbul for that reason, so guys please tell MSI that you guys want stream capability on live events, or they will just continue considering it as an "option" not worth to bother about.

EDIT: oh, and we have nothing against competition, but planting a camera for each is the worst thing to do. Better combining efforts and do something all together than use for it's own sake a full stream upload speed for only showing one piece of the pie. It's already difficult to get decent upload speeds, so lets share it properly and not waste if selfishly...

Edited by Xyala

I'm confused.

So, there's not enough bandwidth to stream video to the outside without making it impossible for the other press members to do anything. Because of this, OC-TV will not stream. Cyph3r Smurf will livestream, but only the nordic teams?

So, there will be enough bandwidth? Or Cyph3r will use all bandwidth for the Nordics? :D

I read it like it's not confirmed, thats pretty much the only thing known. There may be plenty on bandwidth .. someone should again ask MSI, and make some clear statements. No bandwith = no livestream.

For my personal opinion i don't see why there should be a Nordic only stream, especially not before an allround stream is up and running..

How's the 3G-network in Turkey? HSDPA/HSUPA capabilities? They have pre-paid options with 4GB of data for about €17. Assuming no HSUPA that'd be 384kbit of streaming capability and 4GB would last for 22 hours.

http://www.turkcell.com.tr/bireysel/tarifeler/mobilinternet/bilgisayardaninternetpaketleri/faturasiz3Ginternet

Vodafone seems to have HSUPA but it's quite a bit more expensive.

http://superinternet.vodafone.com.tr/faturasiz-vodemnet.php

Hopefully our turkish friends can help us out?

• Crew

@Elmor streaming is 500kbt/s maximum, but its possible to drop some frame or reduce a bit the bit-rate of course.

This is only video+audio to the livestream server (uplaod only). Then for the show (talk over the live, discussions etc) you need to count a minimum of 150kbit/s upload and download for the voice.

@Massman, ME4ME understood well.

So, OCTV says, no bandwidth confirmed, no streaming.

There "may" be bandwidth ... but nobody is sure of that. I think maybe Cyph3r Smurf, as you said plans to use the "maybe little" bandwidth amount available for only the nordics. And then if there is not enough, well then press can enjoy a great 56k speed! Or a 5FPS on the stream :P

MSI didn't gives any restriction of bandwidth per media, so the one that want's can just take it all :)

So that is why we won't stream as long bandwidth isn't confirmed. And we don't plan to do a last minute preparation of a live show.

We don't want to take the risk to tell everyone there will be a stream, work hard on it and then like in Paris last year have twice less bandwidth than "confirmed" ><

FACTS : MOA EU last year, official supplied internet was so shit we couldn't stream properly. We had to use a hotspot of the hotel.

GOOC EU last year, bandwidth was so low that gigabyte asked the press to upload as less as possible to save bandwidth for the stream.

(and for both cases, speed was guaranteed before .... so what will it be when you don't even know the speed before? We don't take the risk to waste time and I think all will understand)

.. someone should again ask MSI, and make some clear statements. No bandwith = no livestream.

This is what we said and what we will do. No stream.

In my opinion, OC is a e-sport where competition audience is "only" on internet as right now competitions never took place is convenient and accessible cities where audience is actually invited. So the audience is on Internet. It's sad that everytime it's a struggle to actually get a "good" internet. we just ask for 2mbt/s symetric for the whole press, it isn't that much I think...

I'm really sad about it, hopefully there will be more efforts or "money" put into stream at the APAC and WW finals.

Edited by Xyala

wow, take it easy.

I got confirmed that the press would get 8mbit upload to the event a long time ago ;) The extra livestream was just because some people at techsweeden asked for it(and it looked like we got the bandwith), but as some of the overclockers from sweeden has said that they wouldn't like it so I don't do that :)

I read it like it's not confirmed, thats pretty much the only thing known. There may be plenty on bandwidth .. someone should again ask MSI, and make some clear statements. No bandwith = no livestream.

For my personal opinion i don't see why there should be a Nordic only stream, especially not before an allround stream is up and running..

And here is their answer :)

MOA plans the internet connection with 16 Mbit Download and 8 Mbit Upload in the venue.

And if we asked we could have a bigger connection, the problem is that the medias don't talk together :)

Edited by Cyph3r Smurf

wow, take it easy.

I got confirmed that the press would get 8mbit upload to the event a long time ago ;) The extra livestream was just because some people at techsweeden asked for it(and it looked like we got the bandwith), but as some of the overclockers from sweeden has said that they wouldn't like it so I don't do that :)

I'm all for a Nordic stream, can't see the harm in it :)

Well I hope that you are right - MSI seems to have doubt.

Hmm, I hope the other part is right, honestly I have been sleepy as hell today, but been showing Xyala & 3 fellow students Copenhagen in a weekend, I did not notice any contact about this today - and we were at National museet ~1PM...

However, I vote +1 for livestreaming - it is much more appealing then the alternative that I spoke with Tim' about today.

One of the problems with live streaming at the moment is that it requires prep, and MOA is ~friday... Getting the hardware, coordinating everything, is not exactly a snap with the fingers... Again why one has to push forward to MSI/Gigabyte/ASUS others; It is CRITICAL that they manage to give CLEAR signal regarding connectivity in advance... Not a priority = Alternative coverage then streaming.

Edited by M.Beier

• Crew

Well .. seams like everyone gets a different answer. But anyway.

So now it's not even one week before and I have no hardware for the stream ... so I have first to find a solution for that. (need the firewire capable camera), and not the small one...

I'll try to see if I can get one at uni tomorrow, if not, I'll have to look for alternatives... it's gonna be complicated.

Always planing things on a hurry, damn.

BTW 16/8mbts/s ... I just don't believe it hihi, but well surprise surprise I would say.

• Crew

Well I can give you a quote where we was told that they can't confirm Bandwith and that stream wasn't a priority for this event ^^

So ..

but anyway, lets work it all together. Better do a good stream all togetehr than everyone in his corner. :) I have started working on the show schedule with trouff and massman. Once the first draft is out, we'll share it to you guys and discuss the tech details about it ;)

It was a directly quote from an e-mail, where it don't seemed like they had any doubt.

But yeah, it a bit late for you guys to know it ;) And not the right way of information flow.

Ok imagine this scenario

Person A & B both work for company X

Person A sends an email;

There will be 16/8 mbit Internet

Person B sends an email;

We cannot confirm the Internet connection

Do we agree that it seems they are not sure?

There is not really anymore to it, I am not saying that Christians information are faulty, I am STATING that MSI has informed differently elsewhere... I dont see why this needs to be discussed further, it is pointless.

Well I can give you a quote where we was told that they can't confirm Bandwith and that stream wasn't a priority for this event ^^

So ..

Please dont do that buddy, benefits nobody revealing what was said in a private email.

Edited by M.Beier

Ok imagine this scenario

Person A & B both work for company X

Person A sends an email;

There will be 16/8 mbit Internet

Person B sends an email;

We cannot confirm the Internet connection

Do we agree that it seems they are not sure?

There is not really anymore to it, I am not saying that Christians information are faulty, I am STATING that MSI has informed differently elsewhere... I dont see why this needs to be discussed further, it is pointless.

Please dont do that buddy, benefits nobody revealing what was said in a private email.

And Person M is not going to the finals. :D

• Crew

First of all : OCTV's MOA Live Broadcast is not closed! It Open to contribution and anyone that would like to contribute for the sake of OC is welcomed to help and participate. Let's do it ;)

All right so here is how we are going to do:

Global Stream (video) + Live Talk Show (Sound over the streamed video)

We have started to working on a plan a would like you guys to take a look and tell us what you think about. We are trying to keep it simple but should be efficient enough.

Check out the Draft Plan of the Live Talk Show https://spreadsheets.google.com/a/overclocking-tv.com/ccc?hl=en&hl=en&key=tvZvF93ks2lUU5jyUaAIIVw&authkey=CKbXkMUJ#gid=0

During the live, we will give out 3 Headsets to Competing Overclockers so that they can easily connect to the audio and share their progression, and also give their opinion on the different discussion topics. They will also be able to talk between themselves to discuss easier problems they could encounter live etc.

Off course as these people will be competing they won't talk all the time.

So here is what is planned during the rest of the time :

- Discussions

- Score update discussions

Guest Speakers

A few people can be on the Live Talk Show as full time guest, and others can join from time to time to give their opinion etc.

Details about the joining on the live talk show during the competition 'non-planned' will be explained in the next days with all the necessary details. (Notice that you will all be able to actually voice-chat all together in a "public waiting room" of that voice server!

Discussion Topics:

Discussion on the Qualification Process for competitions: Live, noLive, picked etc.

Discussions on the rules, CPU limitation, lock competition for SB CPU

Discussions on the motherboards that are full OC or mix Gamer/OC faetures

Discussion on Bench meetings that take place. Good thing/bad thing. Impressions, get people to pay for good benching conditions (little price and ln2 acces)

Discussion on Overclockers visiting more and more IT fairs. Direct contact with vendors? goal:hardware for free , motivations? (XS party .. no party for Cebit etc..why not?)

Discussion on F1 OC, present theoverclocker and talk about the lates issue.

Discussion for HWBot and upcomming rev4

We need from you guys two things :

- Feedback on the Discussion Topics, do you have more ideas etc. Topics you want to add, we are open to any ideas!

- Volunteers that would be like to be "full time guest speakers" (so beeing available for the whole competition and help out on the discussion and participate actively) You need to be sure about that! No last minute cancel please and come with working microphone (no crappy one)

- Volunteers that would like join for a specific topic or can only be here a few hours but really wish to participate in the debates live.

Please give us the information like this:

What you want to do:

How much time : (full time/less .. how long and when)

!!! We'll contact you through MP so please check actively you inbox if you wish to be part of it ;)

Any questions, feel free to ask!

Edited by Xyala