HWBOT Community Forums

Antinomy's Low Clock Challenge

Leeghoofd

• Crew

This competition was supposed to be in-house for Not Exact in Round members. But I thought I'll be more fun to see our friends from other teams and anyone willing to participate.

The primary goal is mastering your tweaking skills both HW and SW.
I welcome you to share tweaks being used. Of course, most of us have some secret sauce but most tweaks are common yet might be unknown to others.

For example, only a month ago I learned about the huge impact that full screen mode has on Pifast.

Also I ask you not to do last hour shots. This is more an educational competition so work in progress results with comments are very welcome.

"Improve, share, learn, repeat" - that's the motto.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 11

• Crew
2 hours ago, MachineLearning said:

i975X up to X48, oddball SiS & VIA, DDR1 through DDR3, etc.

I have pretty much everything. ?
One of my teammates asked about X48 and Celeron D. The thing is, these boards can boot with Celeron D but when you enter BIOS, you can't set FSB lower than 200. So you're forced to boot @200. One of the ways is to boot at 200 and then lower FSB to meet 3600MHz requirement. But this is not the only way for them, I'll post another way.

• Like 2

• Crew
4 hours ago, MachineLearning said:

I hope to see a huge variety of chipsets

On a second thought this might be much more fun. I will make a separate leadership in the OP for each chipset vendor and memory type. So besides the overall competition we'll see top10 Intel, NV, SiS, VIA and so on and top10 DDR1, 2, 3. I see sense in this only for Pifast but let me know if someone thinks 32M is worth summing the same way too.

Edited by Antinomy
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, StormUK said:

Hi all, I'm new to OC'ing but feel this would be an interesting project for me to have a go at. Would anyone mind posting an example build please to point me in the right direction for trying this? Thanks

Hi Storm!

Okay, we need to see limitations. For the 1 stage:

LIMITATIONS

• Only use processors based on the Wolfdale-6M core.
  • Maximum CPU Frequency limitation 4005MHz

Wolfdale-6M - that means, we need cpu with 6M level 2 cache size.

Here you can search all CPUs with this feachure

Then you must search this CPU on hwbot. Check MB, RAM, that peoples used for best results. 

Spoiler

For maximum performance we need mb - X48 chipset, ram - hypers\D9GTR\D9GTS

Don't forget open all windows of CPU-Z, that you can proof your results.

Check the official rules for the screenshots!

For the 2 stage:

LIMITATIONS

• Only use processors based on the Prescott-256-64 core.
  • Maximum CPU Frequency limitation 3610MHz

By the same principle, we are looking for a processor that suits us. Next, we check on which system it will be more efficient to get the result and try to achieve the same numbers.

I'll warn everyone right now. Antinomy would not be Antinomy if he made a simple stage, where it is known exactly which pieces of iron rule. In the second stage, you need to study the knowledge base very well and try several different platforms to understand where the efficiency is better.

Good luck to everyone!

Edited by Dry_Ice777
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, StormUK said:

Would anyone mind posting an example build

Stage 1 - e8200/e8300/e8400/e8500/e8600/e8700 or xeon equivalent + p35-x48 board (good DDR3 options may be P5K3, P5e3 premium, Rampage Extreme, P5E64; good ddr2 options are P5k/p5q, DFI P35-p45, Gigabyte p45) + ram (for ddr3 it is either single sided d9gt 1GB per stick and dual sided 2GB sticks based on elpida hyper, bbse or PSC). Also, winXP and careful bios tuning. You will also need some software tweaks to be competitive.

Stage 2 - very wide range of options to consider. For cpu, you need celeronD 320J/325J/330J/331/335J/336 and higher - but the lower is stock cpu clock the better - when overclocked to 3.6GHz the lower stock cpu frequency is the higher will be overclocked fsb. Chipsets of highest priority to try range from 865PE (like P5P800) to 955x/975X - so your choice is DDR/DDR2.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MachineLearning said:

It seems that the Pifast stage is slightly broken. I assume it should whitelist Prescott-256 CPUs alongside Prescott-256-64, currently only the latter is accepted.

Well i was hoping it stayed 256-64, now there's unicorn chip with one multi lower :D

Allso adapter shenanigans possible now...

Edited by TAGG
  • Haha 1

• Crew
5 hours ago, Leeghoofd said:

I'm waiting for a heads up from

Everything seems fine, I'll upload a wallpaper in the evening. Adding regular 32-bit Prescotts will add some fun.

4 hours ago, TAGG said:

Well i was hoping it stayed 256-64, now there's unicorn chip with one multi lower :D

Allso adapter shenanigans possible now...

Stay tuned, I'll make it even more fun :)

• Thanks 1

• Crew

O.K. so here's some starter pack for you.
The archive contains three major versions - vanilla Pifast, package with Runprio and HexusfastR. Runprio runs Pifast with High priority, FastR with Realtime. All the batch files were modified with a goto operator which allows you to re-run the test simply by pressing any key. The old result should remain.

The second is the full screen tweak in shortcut properties.

fullscreen.PNG.68e9bf7a8a28e5843181272197cab7fd.PNG

Pifast.zip

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Crew

This is a lucky run with a P5E booted @200 and downclocked to 3600. Most runs were around 63.89-63.94. AIDA is not obligatory but I recommend you to use it as you'll see how latency affects performance.
The second screenshot is the same system with full screen tweak. As you see, it gives a lot.

snaphsot0001.thumb.png.50d0136b893f29e1f24aa61a1124dd19.png

snaphsot0002.thumb.png.65813d4d5f809a2e8baf2c5a96d90093.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1