HWBOT Community Forums

PCMark05 , keep or remove from hwbot.

chispy

Keep , remove or update the Rules of PCMark05  

201 members have voted

1. 1. Keep , remove or update the Rules of PCMark05

• Keep PCMark05 and the Rules as it is.
    • Keep PCMark05 but make new , improved up to date Rules, whats allowed and whats not.
    • Keep PCMark05 update the Rules as anything and everything goes and remove the 220xp start up cap
    • Remove PCMark05 from hwbot.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just an idea that came to mind.

Remove actual pcmark05 (this means keep current scores, points, golds) like you did with sisoftsandra(aka remove the ability to submite results).

Then add the new pcmark05 with rules reworked(different ranking than the old pcmark05).

doing so old pcmark05 results will not be so easy beaten by the new rules, imo its fair

This won't solve anything, as people will still submit using the older rules, and we'll still have problems moderating the results.

Massman you got a very good set of rules there in your Proposal, it will work only if the 220 xp start up cap its removed completely. If you keep xp start up 220 cap , the benchmark will be worthless and not reflecting real time performance of todays hardware , it's totally against everything overclocking is about , also going by the same analogy you will have to place a cap on most of the sub-tests or it will be very unfair if you do not update the xp 220 cap start up and remove it completely.

This looks great:

" - No ramdisk or MFT software allowed

- XP startup cap removed

- Benchmark must run on default web browser (Internet Explorer, any version) and default audio/video codec

- Browser enhancement tweaks such as disabling/removing features, plugins, make-up etc are allowed

- Audio and video codec tweaks are allowed. Powertoy is, as GUI for the registry, allowed "

I believe thats the best option , either that or remove it completely.

Edited by chispy

WMV registry / PowerToy (including 32x32 encoding size) gives +4K to overall score.

Internet Explorer tweaks gives another +1K...+2K (this is for Win7 ~45 pages/s , wait when Win8 compatibility issues will be fixed you will see ~60 pages/sec).

Uncapped XP Startup - also up to +4K to overall score (at least for 2xSSD R0).

So, if we allow PowerToy and IE Tweaks - it will be enough to make old scores easy to beat, even if we will keep XP Startup cap.

That is why I think now if the best moment to remove the cap. Now or never.

Both way new scores with new rules will be around 50K.

Edited by S_A_V

• Crew

That is why I think now if the best moment to remove the cap. Now or never.

Both way new scores with new rules will be around 50K.

the more i think about this, the more I think you are right, its a good time to remove it, regardless if we do it or not, the current scores are junk, so lets do it properly

why Chispy? because you can't get good score with these rules?

You know very well that that's BS. This is about principles too. I don't want pcmark to be about who has the most skill in running the setup as slow as possible to meet a fancy and unneeded rule. Better to show your skill by getting high xp startups instead. Or you can't get good scores with unlimited xp startup?:P

just update the rules !!!

there are so many scores uploaded,

thousands of people have scores, points hw and gl.

People need the read the rules before they upload, so simple as that.

every benchmark you can tweak like hell to get better score, one benchmark more eassier then another one.

one Os is better then another one, ALWAYS will be this an discussion.

this pcmark05 is to long on hwbot with points ranking etc, just keep it, and update the rules.

Hwbot has to think that they fuck up the ranking to much :

first with update to rev3, a lot of people loose ranking points etc..

now update to rev4 the same, all ranking gets flipped upside down.

now you whant to do again something that fucks up the ranking?

come hwbot, think, keep current benchmarks but update ALL RULES on every benchmark !!!

As for shure hardware sharing within Team should be NOT allowed and more controll over it.

I see to many teams with always the same members using the same hardware, vga, cpu, same OC and scores very short to eighother, just OS or screenshot is different,

more control over that !

ps : i don't mean this in a bad way, just sharing my opinion.

• Crew

its great to have a benchmark that people dont need a 6ghz cpu or 1700 cpu to compete in, to be brutally honest you dont even need a raid controller to be top 5

5.3ghz, a few old irams, or some new sata3 ssds or perhaps some acards and your in the game.. dont need to bin anything!

i like that :)

Okay, let's go with:

- No ramdisk or MFT software allowed

- 220MB/s XP startup cap

- Benchmark must run on default web browser (Internet Explorer, any version) and default audio/video codec

- Browser enhancement tweaks such as disabling/removing features, plugins, make-up etc are allowed

- Audio and video codec tweaks are allowed. Powertoy is, as GUI for the registry, allowed

Also, let's make an agreement that we come back to this thread in 3 months (9th of November) and evaluate if these new rules work. If turns out the benchmark is pretty much 'unsaveable', we can still remove it after a couple of months. Given the outcome of the POLL, I'd say these are the two only options we have.