HWBOT Community Forums

PCMark05 , keep or remove from hwbot.

chispy

Keep , remove or update the Rules of PCMark05  

201 members have voted

1. 1. Keep , remove or update the Rules of PCMark05

• Keep PCMark05 and the Rules as it is.
    • Keep PCMark05 but make new , improved up to date Rules, whats allowed and whats not.
    • Keep PCMark05 update the Rules as anything and everything goes and remove the 220xp start up cap
    • Remove PCMark05 from hwbot.

Next question, why would registering the benchmark be illegal? I mean, if you have a key why not use it?

If you get the key before benchmark supports and sales was discontinued - ok, nothing illegal with that.

But for now, the оnly way to get a key for PCMark04 is... using goggle for it.

I not sure "generated" keys, even for discontinued benchmark, is legal.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you get the key before benchmark supports and sales was discontinued - ok, nothing illegal with that.

But for now, the оnly way to get a key for PCMark04 is... using goggle for it.

I not sure "generated" keys, even for discontinued benchmark, is legal.

Not sure it matters anymore. You can't get an ORB validation for it anymore and that would be the only thing that would really be illegal about using a generated key.

I don't have direct comparison with more than 4 cores with exact the same settings.

Just found PCMark04 results with FX-4100 @ 6918 MHz and FX-8120 @ 6782 MHz:

4-core: 49.3 web page rendering, 317 fps WMV - http://hwbot.org/submission/2231053_

8-core: 55.2 web page rendering, 362 fps WMV - http://hwbot.org/submission/2240067_

Don't look at Overall score, FX-4100 result was done with wrong Grammar Check.

Windows was updated with AMD Bulldozer Performance Updates:

Windows6.1-KB2592546-x64.msu

Windows6.1-KB2645594-x64.msu

Windows6.1-KB2646060-v3-x64.msu

Do you use WMV settings suggested in PCMark05 Tweaking Thread?

I mean this: "Force NumThreads"=dword:00000002

Try playing with other values ;)

I replied back in the tweaking thread:

http://hwbot.org/forum/showthread.php?p=158074#post158074

• 3 weeks later...
  • Crew

its amazing how crazy pcmark05 is going now, so many submissions,

makes me really happy to see others are enjoying this bench as much as me, its becoming the new 3dmark01... don't need the best cpu to win, highly tweakable, scales with memory/cpu/gpu + storage, a great mix of elements

and i dont want to hear any complains about needing good storage, because to win superpi you need an amazing CPU or to win 3D you need a great GPU, both expensive if you need to buy multiple pieces...

good work guys, especially SteveRo and all the Greek benchers taking the lead from the original Mr PcMark dinos111

its amazing how crazy pcmark05 is going now, so many submissions,

makes me really happy to see others are enjoying this bench as much as me, its becoming the new 3dmark01... don't need the best cpu to win, highly tweakable, scales with memory/cpu/gpu + storage, a great mix of elements

and i dont want to hear any complains about needing good storage, because to win superpi you need an amazing CPU or to win 3D you need a great GPU, both expensive if you need to buy multiple pieces...

good work guys, especially SteveRo and all the Greek benchers taking the lead from the original Mr PcMark dinos111

+1

love seeing all the new submission's

psychology time! :P

Why submit so much now? The same points were available before the rules were adjusted/changed/however you see it...... what is it about the new rules that has made people want to bench PCM05 again? There are a lot of new faces, so I do not think it's just the "original PCM05 fans" who want to keep their rankings.......

psychology time! :P

Why submit so much now? The same points were available before the rules were adjusted/changed/however you see it...... what is it about the new rules that has made people want to bench PCM05 again? There are a lot of new faces, so I do not think it's just the "original PCM05 fans" who want to keep their rankings.......

I'm one of the new pcmark05 faces. I started submitting PCM05 in January... I saw a lot of high points with less activity/competition. At that time, a lot of 1st place scores weren't at very strong CPU clocks so I also knew I could run faster chips, and I could do well if I knew the benchmark well, and had good storage. So I bought storage, and figured out how to run it well.

Stevero and I went back and forth quite a bit in a couple categories, and a couple other guys were submitting really good scores... I think all the new 1st place scores worth a lot of points was like blood in the water, brought out the sharks.

Maybe there are more scores now because you can get globals for every cpu class, by cores. I just recently got into pcmark,having only ran it once on an ssd about a year ago. El gappo was always talking about it and I finally decided to actually put some effort into it.

It's also nice that the majority of the popular tweaks are out in the open now. Once a new tweak is discovered, it's shared almost right away. A lot of people are also scoring pretty well with just a pair of ssd, granted they're typically 120gb + models. The nice thing is that there are several ways to go with, when it comes to storage, that can all generate a good score.

IMO, disclosing all the tweaks being out in the open kind of make it a level playing field. It once again comes down to clocks and storage. Recently we've seen people pushing their setups more and more and not just getting away with have a fancy storage setup. Every few days, gold medals change hands.

• 2 months later...