HWBOT Community Forums

Voting for WR for Global Records to enthusiasts

I think the issue is some want to have the big points, yet want to stay in the same league... Coz they rock there and might be blown away ( due to so called limited resources aka fundings, etc ) in another "higher" skilled league.

My point of view : If they want the big points, then it's time to step up and join the rest of us ... if they have the skill now for maxing out air or water clocks, then they can easily master more extreme cooling too... Probably this post will start another whining chime about the costs of LN2...

The enthousiast league is partly an intro to the lovely world of overclocking, as you can post eg decent scores on air/boxed cooling solutions. If you want to be in the top, it's cash out time ( it's enevitable) : maybe get an airco to cool things extra down or move to a country with chilly temperatures,... But soon you will be maxing out and want more, then it's time to move to another league... I would rather see single GPU action only in the enthousiast league (as that's one of the points of some of the thread starters, those that reached high scores with multi GPU setups. Costing an arm and a legg due to the multitude of waterblocks.) as that will reduce the cost factor by far...

You misunderstand our perspective quite spectacularly.

We are happy with the scores we get on air and water. This is our method of competition. A lot of us could make the leap to LN2 but choose not to - air and water is our field of play and we enjoy competing against others on a more-or-less even playing field and getting those 3DMark scores as we can.

But by action, the Enthusiast league is separated from the OC league by cooling method, not by skill or experience. This is fundamental to any statement. Even if contrary to what has been written, by action those are the results and HWBot does have to deal with them that way.

Either let those who want to participate on air/water compete like-for-like (similar to Division 2 football or Formula 3000) similar to sub-zero (Premiership/F1), or rewrite the rules stating that members are only part of the enthusiast league up to a certain time, then move automatically if six months have passed between their first and last submission.

I will repeat, regardless of anything written or said, by action the leagues are split purely on cooling. Thus those are the separations. If someone can build a new system on air and water that hits the top 10 (usually during the initial phase of the launch when other users have not tried or prepped for sub-zero yet) then they should be entitled to the goodies there-in as it falls under the actual segregation as imposed by the division of the leagues. Chances are WR points will happen infrequently (as mentioned, usually at beginning of launches of monster GPUs), but they will happen.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is also one other option. Members of the Enthusiast League also have an Overclockers league ranking. So my 4th place with 583.7 Enthusiast League points would put me 156th in the OC league. But in the OC league it would count any WR points I would have, and my name would have a * beside it to indicate that I was still in the Enthusiast League.

If the site is coded the way I think it is, then it should be an easy enough change. Then again, I know MM has mountains of changes + updates to process.

There is also one other option. Members of the Enthusiast League also have an Overclockers league ranking. So my 4th place with 583.7 Enthusiast League points would put me 156th in the OC league. But in the OC league it would count any WR points I would have, and my name would have a * beside it to indicate that I was still in the Enthusiast League.

What I get from this is you would like your WR points from the OC league while having your e-peen stroked by being ranked #4 in the E league.:P

Everybody in the world would like to have their cake and eat it too. Generally it never works out that way. I don't see it being any different here.

In my opinion, their is a big farce in the OC community... That results mean "skill".

Results are just that, results. They are proof that you were able to do something. The rankings don't represent skill, they represent who has managed to post the best results. You can't measure skill with points.

Skill may help get good results, but there are many ways other than skill to do well in the rankings.

The rankings should be made to accurately reflect difficulty and challenge, and I think the rankings do that. The points need tuned up (big global points for low competition, less difficult categories), but I think the rankings are good the way they are broken down for individuals.

I don't like the team rankings as much though. It makes the scores by people on air nearly meaningless (unless they are epic grinders), with a few people doing cold on most teams making up a large percentage of the teams total points. Harder in rev 4 than rev 3 to encourage other teammates to really get into benching when the extreme guys are the ones who really have the ability to affect team rankings in the top 20.

• Crew
You misunderstand our perspective quite spectacularly.

That's my speciality :D My post is not solely based on your comment in this thread... It's based on the OP and the gazillions of comments afterwards, the numerous multiple threads started on the same topic. Is this what it all boils down to :

Most of you are happy with the scores, but don't agree with the points given.

How I see it : you want WR points, step up. Even in your category, an even playing field with air or water is hard to achieve. Some just have better overclocking ambients, some use aftermarket coolers, waterblocks, chilled water solutions.

Like Dino mentioned, each category/cooling method needs some sort of new skills and brings new challenges to push the hardware further. Try multiple GPU, heck even a single GPU or CPU on LN2, then report back...

I agree with IMOG, the rankings don't fully reflect the overclocking skills and it will be close to impossible to achieve that. In eg live events you can show your skills, but as always the factor luck has to be on your side. The team ranking will for sure go through some changes in newer revisions. But it had to be adjusted as some teams got boosted by the amount of submissions with similar hardware.

Don't forget lads it's all for fun and the HWBot crew is trying to make it as fair and fun possible.

• Crew

Who ever said you can't date my wife ? I'm willing to make small sacrifices here :P

Only person in the bot that can't date my wife is Marc Beier... This for several obvious reasons :P

Let's try to stay on topic Kenny, before Christian Flank3r bans us both...

I don't like the team rankings as much though. It makes the scores by people on air nearly meaningless (unless they are epic grinders), with a few people doing cold on most teams making up a large percentage of the teams total points. Harder in rev 4 than rev 3 to encourage other teammates to really get into benching when the extreme guys are the ones who really have the ability to affect team rankings in the top 20.

Split each team in 2 subteams: Cold and Air/Water. That way everyone is happy.

Im one of the epic grinders you mentioned, but I do it for the cups :) Boints are pointless.