HWBOT Community Forums

Testing MSI Big Bang XPower II

Anyone having memory clocking issues > DDR3-2000 with C2 silicon and 1.2b1.

Pretty cool the 1.67 is working so nicely. Just selecting 1.67, set bclk=162 and boot in windows

2241781.png

//edit

Not very pleased with the memory compatibility of the 1.2b1 bios. Not only is there a very bad overclocking capability, but 90% of the time there's a b7 lockup when going from triple channel to quad channel. I reckon it's just a compatibility issue with C2 retail silicon ... :(

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a strap, not a multiplier. Use 100 strap for 100-110 bclk, 125 strap for 115-135 etc. Just leave it at auto which works very well (told them to add a note about this).

ive told ya, only 100 mhz strap working here ... everything at default, only change strap from 100 to 125/167 ... and mem from 2133/1866 to 1333/1600 and nothing, only FF on display, have to reset cmos ...

sin - not Stepping 6/C1 3930K

haha and why try to hide bios version?

pretty sure yesterday it said 1.0b14 in that screenshot :P

Sorry brother is to give more mystery ... hehe

Possible dual channel, quad Channell smoothly with this bios,

With the 1.21 it was impossible to work in 2400.

regards

superpi1m51002400mem.jpg

I did some runs earlier tonight, did 32M at ~5350MHz and 2400MHz quad-channel with some nice RAM. Didn't bother taking screens though, as I was just testing CPUs.

On the 1.21 BIOS.

Well, I have problems with bios 1.21.

Also with the 1.21 I can not go from 5000mhz and with this comes at 5300 5400 h2o.

Not that it can be ...

ive told ya, only 100 mhz strap working here ... everything at default, only change strap from 100 to 125/167 ... and mem from 2133/1866 to 1333/1600 and nothing, only FF on display, have to reset cmos ...

sin - not Stepping 6/C1 3930K

This:

OBR, do you also enter 125 bclk?

If you just select 125 or 167 strap, it will try to boot at 100/125 (=80) or 100/167 (=60) MHz.

maybe the vcore being over 1.4v is degrading more than VCCSA and VCCIO? but it shouldn't affect memory OC, right? But when I had issues getting 2400 i increase vcore and it became much easier. I don't know why that happens like that with my C0.

Just thinking out loud. sorry

very high vccsa for 2500 don't you think?

or did you mean vccio?

regardless seems a bit high for either, especially since C2's are degrading left and right with less volts than that, just food for thought.

i had chip C1 could't do it lower than 1.40

Putting Msi Xpower II to an xtreme pace and xtreme LN2 cooling.

Is a breeze to Overclock this monster board, by using the Overclocking Interface, "Control center".

Only the 1st time required you to reboot once you tick the multiplier and save the setting.

The rest is on the "fly" at the window, so easy, keep pouring Ln2 and my CPu "CB" was at -60degrees.

So I maintained around -52-55degrees as I continously tick and save the settings until I reached 5.5Ghz where my processor stuck, at 1.58Vcores...hit a wall :(

55ghz158ghzln2.jpg

Xtreme LN2 cooling on a kingpinCooling apparatus

MSI have solved the CPU ratio issues (cold boot bug + x12 multiplier issue) that hit the X79 platform.

xtremeln2cooling.jpg