HWBOT Community Forums

EVGA EPower-Board Review by der8auer

der8auer

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got some info via the IR engineer and it seems the R9-290X is using the new VRM Design. It uses SVID just like the new CPU VRM spec, and epower board is using the old VRM. The bottom line is that the EVGA Epower board can't support R9-290X. There is basically no way to make it run as the power board has no SVID Signal! We are going to make some power boards that support these 290X cards

I got some info via the IR engineer and it seems the R9-290X is using the new VRM Design. It uses SVID just like the new CPU VRM spec, and epower board is using the old VRM. The bottom line is that the EVGA Epower board can't support R9-290X. There is basically no way to make it run as the power board has no SVID Signal! We are going to make some power boards that support these 290X cards

Yes... is true...

No way...

I did try to feed a AMD 290X with Epower.... so, we had problems with 1.8 line voltage...

Then we installed one more zombie... and have problems with PLL voltage...

Finally we used one more zombie (3 zombies)... and even with 3 external power to feed... was impossible to use the zombie...

Also... is good to remember that we have 2 Vready in the PWM... and we try with 1 and 2 PWM disabled... and even we removed the PWM it not works...

About 30 hours trying with no sucess...

So... we used normal hardmodding

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.559801364095137.1073741879.290467317695211&type=1

Pay attention on the inductors... is not in line.,.. lol .... I put it again and never will be uniform libe brand new;

EPower can support any load, including R9-290X.

Yes, you do need to take care of fooling stock PWM controller signals, to make sure other power convertors and GPU get proper signals first, BEFORE using EVGA EPower for GPU power.

For extreme OC we usually don't want GPU controlling our voltages (disregarding if it goes from stock VRM, or external VRM), which is reason of SVID interface there. Lack of knowledge to properly mod card does not mean it cannot work ;) But anyway, let's see other VRM board with SVID working on 290X first. Having SVID will still do nothing, was there , done that before :D

Rbuass run into power sequence/powergood issues after he disabled VGPU stock PWM controller, which is clearly the reason why he had no voltage on those secondary rails. Please don't mix different issues together.

If anybody want - get me 290/290X and I'll post modding guide, lol :D Yes, education is expensive :cool:

Edited by TiN

EPower can support any load, including R9-290X.

Yes, you do need to take care of fooling stock PWM controller signals, to make sure other power convertors and GPU get proper signals first, BEFORE using EVGA EPower for GPU power.

For extreme OC we usually don't want GPU controlling our voltages (disregarding if it goes from stock VRM, or external VRM), which is reason of SVID interface there. Lack of knowledge to properly mod card does not mean it cannot work ;) But anyway, let's see other VRM board with SVID working on 290X first. Having SVID will still do nothing, was there , done that before :D

Rbuass run into power sequence/powergood issues after he disabled VGPU stock PWM controller, which is clearly the reason why he had no voltage on those secondary rails. Please don't mix different issues together.

If anybody want - get me 290/290X and I'll post modding guide, lol :D Yes, education is expensive :cool:

Thanks for the information Tin.

Send please your shipping details by PM and I will send you the R9 290X...

I believe nowadays, you are the only in the OC community that can do that zombie works on 290X.

:)

Edited by rbuass