HWBOT Community Forums

The official MSI Precision Master OC contest thread.

buildzoid

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no MSI HW so I'm locked out. There are 4 major mobo brands and more than 8 GPU vendors so very few people will have both an MSI GPU and MB. Plus this comp is aimed at normal people(LN2 is not very useful) who can't afford to buy a new GPU and MB just to participate.

You've got to be joking right? :P

Clearly he is meaning the branding restrictions. Obviously cuts down on participants if you need BOTH to be MSI branded. Spend $XXX for a shot at a sub $250 board? The idea is good to spread brand recognition but poorly executed. You'd think they'd want people who have older gen hardware to get newer MSI branded hardware from the comp to try to breed brand loyalty.

• Crew
Clearly he is meaning the branding restrictions. Obviously cuts down on participants if you need BOTH to be MSI branded. Spend $XXX for a shot at a sub $250 board? The idea is good to spread brand recognition but poorly executed. You'd think they'd want people who have older gen hardware to get newer MSI branded hardware from the comp to try to breed brand loyalty.

you can use your old msi stuff to win new msi stuff

socket 775 can reach 12345 in 3dmark06

That's a good idea for a competition actually^. Set an achievable score in a benchmark, ie the 12345 in 3DM06, and to win it, get closest with the oldest hardware. It'd be dead simple for a 4770k and 780ti to get that score at low clocks, but much harder for a Q6600 and GTX280 for instance.

^Noting this down for future OCAU comps.

Good point but I still disagree with how some of these comps are brand limited. Seems backwards marketing as I stated before.

Good luck to everybody able to compete! :celebration:

Why not if it is running on an MSI mobo. It's basically similar to soldering a gpu provided by AMD on a MSI videocard PCB, but in this case it is on a socket. In both cases the gpu is manufactured by AMD.

Plsu if you open GPUZ your integrated vga will have the mobo vendor.

Not to mention that if your card is a reference model it might be produced by e.g. Sapphire and MSI put only a sticker on it.

Why not if it is running on an MSI mobo. It's basically similar to soldering a gpu provided by AMD on a MSI videocard PCB, but in this case it is on a socket. In both cases the gpu is manufactured by AMD.

Plsu if you open GPUZ your integrated vga will have the mobo vendor

exactly, that's why I asked that question

Edited by delly

So, out of "all" the 16 participants, there are only 2 with a card fast enough to make 2828.28 in Heaven DX11, unless some has sli/cf.

Good winning odds:rolleyes:

LOL.

Just because someone submitted with a low end card, for a comp that needs a low scores, doesn't mean that they don't have higher end cards.