HWBOT Community Forums

[Overclocking Support Thread] MSI Z170A XPOWER GAMING TE

Ok, so the competition is over. For those who wonder how to OC i3 on LN2 on XPower there are a few tricks. First of all is to set a good base profile which you can boot at around -120C. Set both mem and CPU as high as you can. Look down timings on memory, and especially RTL and IOL. Set RTL a little higher or you will reach memory limit quickly while overclocking in OS. I used 52/53 RTL and the corresponding 8/8 IOL for 2000+ memory. Once you have booted your base profile at -120, increase bclk, go down to -170 or whatever your board/CPU can handle and reboot. The key is to not change settings so much that the board needs to do full reset. A "light" reset should be able to boot at around -170.

Next thing to consider is memory on XPower. XPower eats SA-volts for breakfast. Mine scaled to 1.50V. Also, like I said before, set higher RTL/IOL than on 2 dimm boards or you will be limited at around 2000 C12.

If you suffer from low efficiency in Geekbench, remember to turn on AES instructions, as they are off by default on MSI XOC bioses.

Nice result and thanks for the feedback man! RTL/IOL is dependant of IMC, same for required SA. You can check page 25, I posted XTU @2047 12 12 12 tight, RTL 50/52 with not more than 1.35v SA on a "random" 6.5G Caseking CPU. ;)

Ok, so the competition is over. For those who wonder how to OC i3 on LN2 on XPower there are a few tricks. First of all is to set a good base profile which you can boot at around -120C. Set both mem and CPU as high as you can. Look down timings on memory, and especially RTL and IOL. Set RTL a little higher or you will reach memory limit quickly while overclocking in OS. I used 52/53 RTL and the corresponding 8/8 IOL for 2000+ memory. Once you have booted your base profile at -120, increase bclk, go down to -170 or whatever your board/CPU can handle and reboot. The key is to not change settings so much that the board needs to do full reset. A "light" reset should be able to boot at around -170.

Next thing to consider is memory on XPower. XPower eats SA-volts for breakfast. Mine scaled to 1.50V. Also, like I said before, set higher RTL/IOL than on 2 dimm boards or you will be limited at around 2000 C12.

If you suffer from low efficiency in Geekbench, remember to turn on AES instructions, as they are off by default on MSI XOC bioses.

Thanks @Rauf! So my problem with MSI board is change too much settings that make board failing OC or failing Memory Training when i was in local OC competition with MSI XPower, i lose because i dont know this. Thanks this is really helpfull to my knowledge ;)

• 1 month later...

Grabbed one of these today and loaded the latest XOC BIOS, but I'm not having much success booting B-Die 3866C12 1T with 100BCLK, any tips?

[EDIT] After playing around for a day, it seems it is required to boot 99BCLK and raise in Windows even with the latest OC UEFI, not a huge deal I guess. Tightening 3rds is quite a bit tricky, no matter what it doesn't look like running the TRDWR settings same as Cas will boot.

Edited by sabishiihito

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For the guys that actually got XP to install on this board...What BIOS were you using? Any special XP ISO? I can get as far as choosing MPS Multiprocessor and then it freezes at "Setup is starting Windows". It never progresses to a point where I can choose drives/partitions.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk